Author Topic: Anthony Campbell b. 1786 Balmaghie  (Read 22588 times)

Offline Tiana

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Anthony Campbell b. 1786 Balmaghie
« Reply #18 on: Monday 05 May 08 01:50 BST (UK) »
Your right about the Kirk records, Im going to check to see of other children they had, family names that possibly Anthony used for his children.  So...close I can feel it, like I'm on to something big. LOL
Campbell

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 05 May 08 01:53 BST (UK) »
I've got one more source that might have something  :)

i'll check tomorrow (later today because it's nearly 2am here).

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Tiana

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 05 May 08 02:01 BST (UK) »
It's 9 pm here, going to bed myself. Thanks Tiana
Campbell

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 05 May 08 13:48 BST (UK) »
There are a few interesting entries in Tongland, the parish south of Balmaghie:

11 July 1800 David Campbell.  Father - Anthony Campbell
26 June 1802 William Campbell. Father - Anthony Campbell

This Anthony might well be the one who married Isobell Mcconnel in Twynholm (just to the west of Tongland) 5th Sept 1799.

Then we have your Robert born 5 June 1811 in Balmaghie to Antony Campbell and Mary Shaw and,previously, John in 1809, Balmaghie (see full list at the beginning of this thread)

Ant(h)ony wasn't a common Scottish first name, so this has set me wondering. A second, maybe older Anthony, could be checked for.

I've looked for earlier Campbell births in Tongland and have found an interesting family (all Cambpel) which is also mentioned in the Tongland MIs:

27 December 1771 (b. 26)  Penelope - Father - William
16 May 1773 William - Father - William, Mother - Agnas Campbel
15 Feb 1776 Philadelphia (same parents as above)
26 June 1778 Agnas (same parents as above)
9 April 1781 (b. 6)  William (same parents as above)

The Tongland MIs have an entry for:

Wm Campbell, esq of Queenshill. Died 27 April 1798 in his 71st year. Daughter Margaret died 12 Sept 1790 in her 27th year. Three infant children - David, William and Philadelphia.

Notes in the MI entry also refers to the Fasti Ecclesiae (a document/book containing information about Church of Scotland Ministers)  -  William Campbell was a Doctor of Medicine, at one time in Antigua and son of William, one time minister of Kirkinner and grandson of Robert, minister of Stoneykirk.

There is more. I'm not sure whether your Ant(h)ony is related or not but it is worth checking this family out.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Tiana

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 05 May 08 18:31 BST (UK) »
All this is still the archives? It makes more sense. I have some records for Robert stating that his wife was from Tongland. So..yes I'm interested in learning more about this family. Let me know your links or whatever you have. Much appreciated :) Tiana
Campbell

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 05 May 08 19:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Tiana

I'm exhausting my records now. I think you might have to do some searches on SP or those Kirk Sessions Records.

What I have found is that the Anthony Campbell who married Isobell Mcconnel in Twynholm in 1799 was 'from Tongland parish'.

The MIs are my own personal collection and I don't have access to the Fasti, although I'm sure someone on here does.

What you need to check is for this Anthony and Isobell in more detail and then look at William Campbell (sometime in Antigua) d. 1798, aged 70-71.  His father, William, a minister in Kirkinner and his father, Robert , a minister in Stoneykirk. Kirkinner and Stoneykirk are both Wigtownshire parishes and I don't have very many records for Wigtownshire, apart from the standard IGI SP ones.

The names are very similar to both Anthony's and Robert's sons.

In the MIs there is reference to a Patrick Campbell of Wigtown. I'll look out the MIs again later.

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 05 May 08 23:01 BST (UK) »
Penelope Campbell (b. 1771) married Campbell Adie who was a 'writer to the signet' ( special kind of lawyer - see, for example,  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Writers_to_the_Signet ).  She died in Kirkcudbright on 1st June 1842 in her 72nd year.

This looks like  David Campbell, b. July 1800, son of Anthony and Isobell,  in the 1841 census:

Main Street, Dalbeattie, Parish of Urr

David Campbell, 35-39, police officer
Hannah, 35-39
Isabella, 10
Marianne, 10
Robert, 7
John, 4
William, 4 months

All b. Kirkcudbrightshire

Gadget

Offline Tiana

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 06 May 08 12:41 BST (UK) »
Yes, I'm going to try to take this as far as I can. I'll try to check those records you suggested. All born in Kirkcudbright makes a whole lot of sense. A minister in the family. Wow. Thank you again for all of your help. You have been a God send. Tiana
Campbell

Offline p1pangy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 15 November 08 18:04 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Gadget & Tiana - just found yr spring exchange - most illuminating.

BUT I think Robert Campbell bpt Balmaghie 1811 [s/o Anthony Campbell & Mary Shaw] became a draper in Leeds where he died in 1870. He married a Yorkshire lass [Hannah Burras] & had 7 children - Janet b.1840, John Edward b.1842, Mary Hannah [my granny's mother] b.1843, George Anthony b.1846 and enumerated in 1861 census as 'visiting nephew' in Balmaghie  [though I'm unsure which of the Campbell families he was visiting], Fanny b.1847 [who celebrated her 100th birthday], Robert Henry b.1853 & Colin b.1856; the 2 eldest boys became drapers. I'll be happy to provide more info. on this family.

I've based my link on Robt & Hannah's marriage cert. 1839, Leeds - "father Anthony, farmer"; Robt's birthplace "Scotland" in censuses; my granny's insistence on her Yorkshire-Scottish roots; the uncommonness of Anthony as a forename for Campbells; and in 1861 census the absence of George Anthony from Leeds & [I hope] his presence in Balmaghie.

I'd welcome any comments on this link and any more advice on getting further back - tho' I've not yet followed up the leads already suggested - been busy up other trees!

Also, does anyone have info re Samuel Campbell whose dau. Mary was baptised 1813 in Balmaghie. Could he have gone to Leeds as tailor/draper by 1817?