Author Topic: Help in Scotland  (Read 8974 times)

Offline castleshaw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help in Scotland
« on: Thursday 01 May 08 10:21 BST (UK) »
I've come to a halt in my research. My gt.grandmother appears on the 1881 and 1871 census in Clackmannan. I know she was born around 1863 and she died in 1952 but she doesn't appear in the Births on any site. I've tried all ways of spelling her name.  On the 1871 census in the birth column it says 'found at Kennet House, Clackmannan'  .I have just found an appendage on the Ancestry.com site which says 'born at House - Jame at Hamel'.  I wonder if she was illegitimate and is there any way to find out.  Hope someone can help me.

Offline pancho

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Help in Scotland
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 May 08 10:25 BST (UK) »
What is her name ?
Sloey,Slowey,O`Connor ,Hammond,Coulston ,Daily,McCabe ,McCartney,Cunningham ,Martin, McKenna,Cairns Fox,Martin Places of interest Monaghan,Glasgow ,Liverpool,Wolverhampton,Wallasey.

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 May 08 10:52 BST (UK) »
Hi

Kennet House is in Clackmannan parish and the Kirk Session minutes are at the Stirling Archives (link below) There may be a reference in the minutes.

http://www.stirling.gov.uk/archives

Andy

Offline castleshaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 May 08 15:35 BST (UK) »
her name is Rachel Marr

on later census forms she is written as Rachel Jackson Marr

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 May 08 15:44 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat  :)

This is a bit of a wild card but:

On the 1861 Clackmannanshire:

Kennet Mains, Kennet:

Thomas Marr, 41, land steward,  b. Lesmahagow, Lanark
Rachel Marr, 34,  b. Lesmahagow

It might be worth following this couple forward/backward to see if there is any relationship.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 01 May 08 16:11 BST (UK) »
I think we might be on to something  :)

It looks as if Rachel was a Jackson - they must be relatives, mustn't they - or did they find her    :-\

on the 1871, they are in Clackmannan

Thomas Marr, 51, land steward & Farms 178 acres for the Lord Burleigh, b. Crawford, Lanarkshire
Rachel Jackson, 43, b. Lesmahagow
Isabella McCadie, 18, general servant, b. Caithness

The 1851 for reference:

Carstairs Mains, Carstairs, Lanarkshire

Thomas Marr, 31, farm servant,b. Crawford, Lanarkshire
Rachel, 25, b. Lesmahagow

In 1881, they are still at Kennet Mains

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline castleshaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 01 May 08 16:20 BST (UK) »
Hi and thanks for your speedy replies.   I found these people and thought I was onto something - but on the next census (1871) Rachael Mar(r) appears as a boarder in Clackmannan village age 8. So her date of birth should be about 1863.  In 'place of birth' it says 'found at Kennet House'.  So I also assumed that the people you found were her parents. Another factor being the Rachel you found was called Jackson before marriage and my gt.grandmother signed herself Rachel Jackson Marr in many instances.   But there isn't a record of her birth anywhere. Nor does she appear to have lived with these people.   I've been all over the ScotGov. site and nothing. Nothing on the Mormon site.  Ancestry.com adds a rider to her birthplace on the 1871 census which says 'place of birth, House, Jame at Hamel'.  We even visited Kennet last year (lovely village) and the Library at Alloa who were very interested but couldn't help.  
'found at Kennet House' sounds like , on the doorstep....its a strange phrase. Also Jame at Hamel.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 01 May 08 16:48 BST (UK) »
Hi

I think it is possible that this couple found Rachel and she was named after them.

Can you give me the reference to her (name, age, residence)  on the 1871 census. I'd like to look at the 'Jame at Hamel' on the original census page.
  * Now found - I'll take a good look

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 01 May 08 16:57 BST (UK) »
I've looked at the original image and it's not Jame at Hamel , It's Found at Kennet House. There is nothing else on the census form. I think it might be one of those slight misreadings in the processing  :-\

Does anyone know how foundling children are registered?

Gadget