Author Topic: Help in Scotland  (Read 8975 times)

Offline castleshaw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help in Scotland
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 01 May 08 18:45 BST (UK) »
That's great, I do know the site but have only looked on the various census and BMD - I never thought of wills.  I'll send for this and hope it gives me more.

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 02 May 08 07:13 BST (UK) »
Hi

If she was a foundling then, depending upon how old she was when found, her birth may have been registered by her birth parent. I think the best option would be the Kirk Session to see if there is any reference as its most likely that the church would have been involved somewhere. You would need to start looking from April 1862 onwards as the 1871 census was on the 2nd April so an 8yo would have been born between 2nd April 1862 and 1st April 1863. There is also a possibility that the Kirk Session minutes has clues about a possible mother.

Another possibility is baptisms, the chances are that she would have been baptised after being found and there may be some additional information but you would need to locate baptisms from 1862 onwards. The IGI in Scotland from 1855-1875 is transcribed from the Statutory Birth Registers not the Parish Baptisms.

If nothing is found in the Kirk Session minutes then you may need to track down records from other churches such as the Free Church.

Andy

Offline castleshaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 02 May 08 08:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Andy,

I've been at a deadend with my search for a while, so thank you for these leads.  I feel more hopeful now of finding details of my great grandmother.  I'll ring Stirling today and will search the baptism records too. 

Offline tailz03

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 28 February 10 00:44 GMT (UK) »
Did you have any luck in the end, i was really interested reading the posts and wondered if you had come to some conclusion?