Author Topic: Help in Scotland  (Read 8973 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help in Scotland
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 01 May 08 17:08 BST (UK) »
Oh, I forgot to ask, what does it say on her marriage and death certificates as her parents names?

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline castleshaw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 01 May 08 17:50 BST (UK) »
On her marriage certificate it says fathers name - Robert Marr.  No mothers name  asked for and she signed her own name as Rachel Jackson Marr. 
Her death certificate has no section for parents name.
I saw the entry saying 'found at Kennet House' -  but when I looked on Ancestry.com - this extra bit was in where born(see below).  It states that their info comes from ScotGov. but I can't see this on the site. However, I 'm not impressed with the Scottish Gov. site as most of the time it just comes back with 'not known' and I know for certain that the person is on the various census forms.

Rachael Mar aged 8, boarder born ?House, Jame At Hamel

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 01 May 08 17:53 BST (UK) »
Hi

No there has beena misinterpretation of the place of birth and you have used the index that has been produced.  All indexes are as good as the person who interprets the written record and then transcribes it*. The entry is as I've put up.

Believe me  :-\

Gadget

* this was my shorthand for it:

I think it might be one of those slight misreadings in the processing
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline castleshaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 01 May 08 17:58 BST (UK) »
I think you're right about the mis reading/typing.  Now I see it enlarged as you sent it thru' - I could imagine someone reading it as 'House, Jame at Hamel'.  So I'm back to 'found at Kennet House.'

If they found her and took her in, do you think there would be documents....also, if they didn't formally adopt her, I'm sure I read somewhere that all births had to be registered in Scotland from 1854.  I'm sure she would need her birth certificate for various official thing in later life.  I know she went to France in 1919 to visit The Menin Gate (her eldest son was killed in the Ypres Salient) - so I'd have thought she needed a passport for that.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 01 May 08 18:03 BST (UK) »
I don't think she'd need a birth cert in those days, although I'll check on an early  passports site for you later.

I'm thinking that it might be better to move this to the Clackmannanshire board as people there might have information about how such matters were handled.  You don't have to do anything, I'll ask a Mod to move it  :)

Not everyone - even with known parents - had their births registered in those days.

Gadget

Offline castleshaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 01 May 08 18:09 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm grateful for any help you can give.  This is the first time I've visited a forum so am feeling my way round....shall I do nothing and you'll have my query posted  it elsewhere?

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 01 May 08 18:14 BST (UK) »
Yes  :)

Just keep going as you are. I've sent a message suggesting that it might be best moved to Clackmannan but it might stay here, so don't worry.

You're doing fine  :)

I'm thinking that there might well be something in those Kirk Sessions records that Andy gave the link to. I don't know how easy it is for you to get to Stirling but you might try phoning.

Hi

Kennet House is in Clackmannan parish and the Kirk Session minutes are at the Stirling Archives (link below) There may be a reference in the minutes.

http://www.stirling.gov.uk/archives

Andy

Gadget

Offline castleshaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 01 May 08 18:22 BST (UK) »
I live near Huddersfield, West Yorkshire so Stirling isn't easy but I will ring them tomorrow.
Thanks for your help so far.  I now feel I have more avenues open to me. I've been at a standstill for some time and getting more frustrated.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 01 May 08 18:34 BST (UK) »
There's a will for the Thomas Marr on Scotlands People - 1883 overseer at kennet. Spouse of Rachel Jackson or Marr.

it will cost you £5 but it might give some information  :D

I'm assuming that you know about the site as you've mentioned it!

Gadget