Author Topic: 1911 Census of Canada - Hobson Thorpe  (Read 10791 times)

Offline joker

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1911 Census of Canada - Hobson Thorpe
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 04 May 08 15:44 BST (UK) »
1911 Census at 817 Vernon Street, Kootenay BC, subdistrict Nelson....there is a Hobson Thorpe, single, born England circa Dec 1874. Lodger works in Copper Mines....immigrated
about 1902 or 1907 (hard to make out).
Hope this helps.
Jorker.
CARNALL of Derbyshire & Leicester; WARD & ADAMS of Buckinghamshire; MELLOR of Leicester; DUNLOP, ROBINSON, McCOY of Northern Ireland; PRATT, CHAMBERS, VANES and CARNAHAN of Ireland...and New Zealand.

Offline DS

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 05 May 08 13:56 BST (UK) »

Hi Joker

Thank you for taking the trouble to look for Hobson. Although we had already found the same information earlier I appreciate your desire to help.

If anything else comes to light about him (in addition to his military information), I would be very interested to know.

Cheers

DS
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 05 May 08 14:14 BST (UK) »
Hi DS

I'm glad you have taken the leap of faith.  At least you are able to do so for our Canadian WW1 files all nicely indexed on-line as opposed to the UK ones where you either have to hire a professional or go to KEW yourself.  As a Canadian Tax Payer, I'm glad that we can offer this service to you  ;)

I have no doubt in my mind that you will be thrilled with them, once you get them.

Please let us know when you get them and what you think.

Karen  :)
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline DS

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 21 May 08 18:24 BST (UK) »

Hi Karen

I am just reporting back with one of the answers to the two things that I was wondering (excitedly ;D) about.....

An amount which equates to 19.15 Canadian Dollars has appeared on my online credit card statement payable to the Library Archive, Canada, so the documents should (hopefully) arrive soon.

I will let you know when they do.

DS ;)

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 21 May 08 18:29 BST (UK) »
Excellent DS!!

So, that's only 9.88 GBP, not to bad  :)

Please let us know when you get them, can't wait to see what information you get.

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Bowman & Ellis - England

Offline DS

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 25 May 08 09:46 BST (UK) »
Hi

The papers have arrived. The cost was $12.40 for the copies plus $6.75 postage and handling charge.

As we already know from his Attestation Paper, Hobson enlisted in the 181st Battalion, Canadian Overseas Expeditionary Force on 25th August 1916. He was single and named his sister as his next of kin. Amongst the other papers is a “Form of Will” signed on 9th January 1917 bequeathing everything to her.

He was discharged (by reason of demobilisation) on 27th April 1919.

As far as I can make out from the various codes, abbreviations and illegible handwriting on his documents, he sailed to England in April 1917 (on HMS Grampian) with the 181st Battalion arriving at Liverpool. In May 1917 he was transferred to the 18th Res Battalion at Dibgate. In September 1917 he was transferred to the 52nd Battalion and went to France. His “Proceedings on Discharge” form indicates that he served there for fourteen months. He was transferred from the 52nd Battalion to the 3rd Battalion CMGC during 1918. In February 1919 he was at Seaford where his Leaving the Service Medical Examination took place (he was declared to be healthy) and he was "demobbed" in April 1919.

One of the (previous research) problems concerning Hobson was that an Hobson Thorpe married a Margaret Swarbrick in 1917 in Clitheroe, Lancashire but our Hobson was thought to be in Canada around that time and so it was assumed that they were probably two different people (although there is only one suitable birth registration for anyone of that name). This Hobson’s Attestation Paper confirmed, from his age, birth place and his sister’s name, that he was definitely “our “ Hobson and that he was single. As mentioned above, on 9th January 1917 he bequeathed everything to his sister, Jane Preston, who was named as his next of kin. That seemed to reinforce the view that the Hobson Thorpe who married in Clitheroe must be someone else.

However, amongst the papers received is the answer. On 4th August 1917 he was “granted permission to marry” and on 7th September 1917 he signed a new “Form of Will”  bequeathing everything to his wife, Margaret. A few of the papers received deal with his pay and allowances and as from 5th September 1917 a Separation Allowance was payable to his wife, Margaret Thorpe, 7 Park Street, Clitheroe, Lancashire.

Although there is not a great deal of "military" information included in the papers, they are interesting and the references to his marriage have been extremely useful.

Thank you again for guiding me to them and for helping me to understand how to obtain them ;D.

DS ;)

ps Hobson died in 1943 in Clitheroe aged 68. His wife, Margaret, died in 1956 aged 79. In 1920 they had a daughter called Helen.

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 26 May 08 23:01 BST (UK) »
Is this where I get to say I told you so   ;)

That's great DS I am very pleased that you gained information from the records.

Thanks for keeping us posted on Hobson, it's always nice when someone tells us how they are making out with a search.

Karen
Huck - Alsace, France
Bowman & Ellis - England

Offline liverpool annie

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 26 May 08 23:11 BST (UK) »

Boy DS - you got a lot !  :D :D :D

Now you just have to follow the battalions and get an overall picture of where he was !!  :)

( I'll try and give it a shot later !! )

I think the saying goes .... "You made out like a bandit " !!  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Good for you !!
Cooper : Muels : Howarth : Every : Price : King

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407030702/http://www.freewebs.com/liverpoolannie

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407191115/http://manchestersoldiers.webs.com

http://web.archive.org/web/20130807102055/http://www.powv.webs.com/
Be who you are and say what you feel -  because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind ! Dr. Seuss

Erect no gravestone .... let the Rose every year bloom for his sake ! Rilke Sonnets to Orpheus, I

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 14 June 08 23:59 BST (UK) »
I agree that you got a lot of bang for your buck...Most informative, I think!
 ;D J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com