Author Topic: "World Vital Records"  (Read 6967 times)

Offline silv

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: "World Vital Records"
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 04 May 08 18:59 BST (UK) »
just been there, looks a good site! i put some of my rellies in and they came up! [although i have already got them]
i've added it to my favs.

Offline silv

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 04 May 08 19:07 BST (UK) »
just went to sign up and they want monthly payment!!! and it's in $!!!!  don't mind paying for what i find, like on the 1901 census, but i'm not paying monthly for something i'm not going to use everyday!!!oh well, that's another one gone, and i thought it was going to be a good site!! never mind :'(
chris

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 04 May 08 19:25 BST (UK) »
I decided to give it another try, with my ten most unusual names, including some in Canada and the USA.   Not one was found ... and even Winston Spencer Churchill (heard of him ?) wasn't found either.

Not a site for me ...
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 04 May 08 22:21 BST (UK) »
Thant's interesting Lydart - I just tried "Winston Churchill" and had over 3,000 hits, and "Winston Spencer Churchill" had over 300  ???

I only put in the name - no other details.

I also tried the proverbial "John Smith" = 157,805 hits  ;D
(One of those is mine  ::) )

Maybe you need to scroll further down the page after all the "Join up" Membership stuff, to see your results.

Di
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Free2beJudi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 05 May 08 00:06 BST (UK) »
I decided to give it another try, with my ten most unusual names, including some in Canada and the USA.   Not one was found ... and even Winston Spencer Churchill (heard of him ?) wasn't found either.

Not a site for me ...

Let me explain something.  The World Vital Records that you can log onto without membership is US only so you would not find Churchill on there because he is from the UK.  In order to get something about him (or someone from Canada etc) you would have to be subscribed to the International Edition of WVR which I am.  I searched Winston Churchill and came up with 248 hits (quite a bit of info).  so I suggest if anyone is having trouble finding the persons they are looking for that you subscribe to both the US and International Records.  I will do a limited number of lookups for people but of course it would be after I get my own research completed for the day.

Judi  Mc
Tacoma, WA, USA
Campbells of Argyllshire, SCT & Ontario, Canada;
Little in Dumfriesshire, SCT, & Cumberland,  Sussex,  Buckinghamshire, Yorkshire,  England & Alberta, Canada;
Stimson in Buckinghamshire, & Yorkshire England;
Wallbridge from Isle of Wight; Ontario & Alberta Canada.

Related surnames: 
For Campbell - Blue, Smith, Burk, McIntryre, McDiarmid, Ferguson, & Deeks, 
For Little - Hogg, Wilson, Corrie and Oliver.  
For Wallbridge - Clarke and Emberly
For Stimson - Pimbley, Fowler

Offline Wortle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 21 November 08 17:05 GMT (UK) »
I It promises to be an excellant site however.  Every day there is new material being posted onto it but of course, because it is new, you are not going to be able to find everything on there immediately.  Give it six months and I think it will out do ancestry.

So what are peoples thoughts now, I have had a look at this since my month on ancestry expired, Scotland censuses dont seem to be there for starters and  I would need that.

I am loathe to go back to ancestry as everything I clicked on seemed to want MORE money. I would like to try their most expensive package for a month, but its £20
Coleman, Colebrooke,(London) Gilson, Rattue, Matticks before 1780(Wessex)

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 21 November 08 17:31 GMT (UK) »
Do not be too hasty in rejecting World Vital Records, it is expanding rapidly and there will be a large number of new UK records available soon including parish registers.
And yes, Eneclann has records there as does ArchiveCDBooks Australia.

It is definitely a site to bookmark.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Wortle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 21 November 08 21:29 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I dont understand ...I was asking, not rejecting, and what are ""Eneclann" and "ArchiveCDBooks Australia" ?
Coleman, Colebrooke,(London) Gilson, Rattue, Matticks before 1780(Wessex)

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 21 November 08 22:35 GMT (UK) »
No worries, I was answering another posting.
Eneclann founded by Fiona Fitzsimons and Brian Donovan (who also owns ArchiveCDBooks, Ireland) is an Irish E- Publishing & Digitisation company and a good source for Irish records.

ArchiveCDBooks Australia is a partner company to ACDB Ireland and the other ACDB companies in USA, Canada etc.
It is also a sister company to Gould Genealogy perhaps the largest and oldest genealogical publishing companies in Australia.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.