Author Topic: DAVIDSON family - NEWBURGH 1893/KIRKCALDY FROM 1908  (Read 37198 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: DAVIDSON family - NEWBURGH 1893+
« Reply #9 on: Monday 05 May 08 21:05 BST (UK) »
I had a look at her marriage cert on Scotlands People. Father shows as deceased, mother Mary Black doesn't. Alexander was a witness at the marriage in Kirkcaldy

William didn't die in Fife between 1903 and 1921. Wonder where the family was during those years?

It is also notable that none of his daughters, and he had many, were called Barbara after his mother. His father's name featured strongly with the naming of Wilhemina and John William but no ref. to a Barbara (I suppose there could have been an early death)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 05 May 08 21:08 BST (UK) »
 ;) There's Barbara, born in 1907 in Newburgh!

Monica

Offline GrandmaSheila

• RootsChat Member
  • Nanna
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 05 May 08 21:17 BST (UK) »
Born in 1907 - we were under the impression that Alexander b1903 was the youngest.  He later had a daughter Barbara so the family link to the name goes on.
The family at the 1901 Census are living at Sweery Lodging House, Newburgh and Mary is Lodging House Keepers Wife.  All the children excepting the eldest were born in Newburgh.

Thank you for all your help.

Sheila
Davidson, Black, Wishart: Fife, Shaw,Morton, McNeice, Gray: Antrim/Scotland
Aldred, Wright, Kirkman, Hurst,Byrom, Hart, Grimshaw,Openshaw. Wilkinson: Lancashire
Hughes: Mold/Wigan
Cubby, Williamson: Cumberland/Wigan

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 05 May 08 21:35 BST (UK) »
Sheila

The problem you have now is linking the info you have from his marriage to either a birth or a death.

The most obvious birth is the one you have seen with the mother Barbara Hardie who died in the 1870s and as you say, from the censuses it looks like father William remarried. From William's 1893 MC, father had died by this time. It may be that at the time of his marriage to Mary, William did not remember his mother's maiden name. From IGI, there are no illegitimate births of a William showing for a mother Barbara Davidson, so the likelihood is that William D. and Barbara Hardie were his parents. You might want to check whether William Snr (husband of Barbara Hardie) had died by 1893 to help you at least verify some of the info on the MC.

You're not helped in looking for William born c.1861 in the censuses by the fact that he seemed to have a wide range of jobs. Everything I have seen seems to have a different occupation.

It would be good to find his DC (although I'm not sure it would necessarily have any new info but you never know). However there are 26 entries showing for a William b. 1860 +/- 3yrs in Scotland (the Fife ones are not him) between 1907-1921 - too many for you to view on line unfortunately.

Monica

Offline GrandmaSheila

• RootsChat Member
  • Nanna
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 05 May 08 21:50 BST (UK) »
Monica
Thank you for that information - this has always been the problem when searching for William Randolph the fact that neither he nor his father seem to be about at the time of the census.
We now have a Barbara we never knew about to add to the mix. 
This is becoming rather addictive.
Thank you so much
Sheila
Aldred, Wright, Kirkman, Hurst,Byrom, Hart, Grimshaw,Openshaw. Wilkinson: Lancashire

Offline GrandmaSheila

• RootsChat Member
  • Nanna
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 07 July 08 00:53 BST (UK) »
Still searching for William (Randolph) Davidson - I now find that Barbara Davidson b1907 was a twin she was born on 13.09.1907 at Sweerie House, Newburgh, Fife and her sister born 5 minutes later was named Robina.  On the birth certificate their father is just named as William and is a Linoleum Worker.  Their birth was registered on the 26th October at Newburgh.
Grandma Sheila

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Aye mair questions than answers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 11 July 08 14:11 BST (UK) »
It's OK Sheila ... I'm doing this in support of your quest.  Between us we've now got this:

WILLIAM RANDOLPH DAVIDSON was born Abt. 1861 in Ayr, Ayrshire.  He married MARY BLACK 02 Jan 1893 in Dunfermline, Fife, daughter of JOHN BLACK and ELIZABETH WISHART.  She was born Abt. 1870 in Beath, Fife,Scotland.

Notes for MARY BLACK:
1881 Census Residing at 33 Bruce Street, Dunfermline, Fife - scholar

Children of WILLIAM DAVIDSON and MARY BLACK are:
i.   MAGDALENA3 DAVIDSON, b. 26 Jul 1894, Sweerie House, Newburgh, Fife.
ii.   MARY DAVIDSON, b. 10 Nov 1896, Sweerie House, Newburgh, Fife.
iii.   WILHELMINA DAVIDSON, b. 28 Aug 1898, Sweerie House, Newburgh, Fife.
iv.   JOHN WILLIAM DAVIDSON, b. 30 Dec 1899, Sweerie House, Newburgh, Fife.
v.   CHARLOTTE DAVIDSON, b. 1901.
vi.   THOMAS DAVIDSON, b. 1902.
vii.   ALEXANDER WISHART DAVIDSON, b. 15 Jul 1903, Sweerie House, Newburgh, Fife;
                d. Abt. 1952, Leith, Edinburgh, Midlothian.
viii.   BARBARA DAVIDSON, b. 30 Sep 1907, Sweerie House, Newburgh, Fife.
ix.   ROBINA DAVIDSON, b. 30 Sep 1907, Sweerie House, Newburgh, Fife.

Hopefully someone can help from here  :-\

Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!!

Chiad Fhear

Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Family surnames being researched ...
Crawford, Neilson, Lindsay, Reekie, Davidson
Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 11 July 08 17:53 BST (UK) »
Sheila

There is nothing showing is there for his birth with the parents he is showing on his MC. I've also searched IGI with just his name and mother as Barbara Davidson (in case he was illegitimate) but also nothing showing  :-\

Monica

Offline GrandmaSheila

• RootsChat Member
  • Nanna
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 11 July 08 22:00 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that Chiad Fhear,
However I now find that Thomas and Charlotte were born in 1909 and 1912 respectively in Kirkcaldy, Fife and they had the name of Carney.
I am not sure if William (Randolph) Davidson was born in Ayr as we have very little information on him - however the only person I could find with a mother named Barbara and a father William was the one born in Ayr in 1860 so I have put that provisionally in my tree.