Author Topic: gap in family tree  (Read 5252 times)

Online Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: gap in family tree
« Reply #9 on: Monday 05 May 08 17:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Diggit

I see Zephyr has sorted things out for you already.

Sorry, yes ... I should have explained that the web link led to the "details for purchasing certificates or printouts".

Lu

Offline Diggit

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 09 May 08 08:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks again - have sent for printout of marriage cert. Looked at wellington cemeteries online and found details of Laura Winifred Roche but no sign of George Walter so i am now wondering if he either died in WW11 or divorced and moved on again.

Offline Diggit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 29 June 08 13:59 BST (UK) »
hi everyone.
following the advice you gave me i sent for and received a printout of the marriage details of George Walter Roche and Laura Winifred Adams - this provided the additional information that they were divorced in 1952. Is there any way i can find out if they had any children?
 ???

Online Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 29 June 08 15:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Diggit

The divorce record would / should, contain information on any children of the union.     (I don't see a divorce for this couple on the Archives NZ website ....  not all records though are listed online .... but they (Archives), do have an in-house register of divorce records).     

Unfortunately, NZ death records, only list the "ages of living issue" so obtaining the death certificate for Laura, wouldn't give you a great amount of information about any children.
However, there may have been a funeral notice for her  ...  my local library has filmed newspapers - I'll check in the next week  (might just save you the expense of getting the divorce record. )  ;D

Lu

Offline Diggit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 29 June 08 16:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks Lucy2 that is very kind of you.  The marriage printout is overstamped saying decree absolute - i think it is 4th June 1952 - bit blurred. He seems to have had an 'interesting' life, i have found another wife and 2 children before he went to NZ (but haven't found a divorce!). I have found his NZ wife in Karori cemetery but not him so i am wondering if he returned to UK.
thanks again

Online Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 01 July 08 05:06 BST (UK) »

He seems to have had an 'interesting' life, i have found  another wife and 2 children before he went to NZ (but haven't found a divorce!).

::)        Mmmm .... interesting.     ;)

.....    so i am wondering if he returned to UK.

Hi  Diggit

Unfortunately not really able to search records from this end, for anyone returning to the UK.

It may be (even though his NZ wife is buried in Wellington), that George is buried elsewhere in the country?

Perhaps if you add here, the date and place of his marriage to Laura, it may give us a clue as to where else we could look for a burial for George.

Lu

Offline Diggit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 04 July 08 11:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Lucy2
What i have found out so far

George Walter Roche born 1900
Married Maud Gertrude Granger 5th Aug 1917 in London - he puts his age as 21 and says he is in the Scottish Engineers (which he may have been for all i know, he wouldn't be alone in lying about his age to join the army)
There were 2 children, Dennis Enrest born 1918 and Marjorie Daphne born 1920.
Then i lose track of him completely until 1928 when he appears on the Rimutaka bound for Wellington and lists his UK address as Turner's Court which was some sort of 'Farm Training Colony' later an Approved School.
He married Laura Winifred Adams 30th Sept 1930 in Wellington Register Office and the marriage printout is overstamped 'This marriage was dissolved by decree absolute 4th june 1952.
I have found that Laura died 11th may1981 and the cremation was at Karori crematorium.

No further sign of George and so far i haven't found out anything further of his 2 UK children.

He was erased from the family history, name never mentioned , we were just told he was a bad lot.
Not one to condemn by rumour i am just trying to find out what happened to him.
all help is much appreciated
thanks

Online Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 05 July 08 11:20 BST (UK) »
Hello again Diggit

That's great information you have gathered.

Yes, it seems very possible that as George married in Wellington (and his wife Laura is buried there), then that is where they lived.   

I have some information for you regarding Laura .... I'll send it to you via a PM.*

Lu

*  This information included mention of persons thought to still be "living".

Offline Mk2_Zephyr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 14 August 08 21:44 BST (UK) »
" his son Graham makes an appearance"   ?

Is he confirmed as a son ?    living at same address at some point ? 

and this would be same one, cremated Karioi

GRAHAM ROCHE