Author Topic: SIVES - East Lothian - 1650/1890  (Read 29405 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: SIVES - East Lothian - 1650/1890
« Reply #72 on: Thursday 04 October 18 21:04 BST (UK) »
Good source for shipping manifests can be https://search.findmypast.co.uk/search-united-kingdom-records-in-travel-and-migration or Ancestry.com (less so for what you need as it concentrates a lot on North American records rather than South America.

I have searched on both but cannot see anything myself.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Thursday 04 October 18 21:05 BST (UK) »
What do you have as possible occupation(s) for Archibald in Argentina? Any family stories of him being at sea for a living before he settled there following his marriage to Carolina?

Monica

Offline norbersives

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Friday 05 October 18 18:04 BST (UK) »
What do you have as possible occupation(s) for Archibald in Argentina? Any family stories of him being at sea for a living before he settled there following his marriage to Carolina?

Monica

Thanks again for your time.
Regarding what I have: No information. Only that I work in the field. But nothing more.
To be able to unite the Sives family (from Argentina) with the Sives family (from Scotland)

Offline Wilton Endeavour

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Friday 05 October 18 20:21 BST (UK) »
I have the following Sives in my family tree:-
Alexander Sives, Farm Servant. Born 1822 Gladsmuir, East Lothian.
Married Christine Simpson who was born 1822 Haddingtonshire.

Alexander and Christine had a daughter, Lilias Marion Sives born 14 September 1856. Gilchristian Parish, Salton, Haddington.
Lilias married Andrew Johnston who was a Farm Labourer/Ploughman.
Lilias died in 1907.

I wonder if they link into your Sives ancestors?

Wilton Endeavour
Snadon Clackmannan/Alloa, Sim/Syme Kilsyth, Davies Kirknewton, Mowbray Colinton/Kirknewton, Shaw Kilsyth, Allan Lasswade/Penicuik, Mullin Waterford, Kirkwood Kilsyth, Laird Denny, Haggart Blackfriars Lanarkshire, Bell Dalmeny, Willets Worcestershire, Cleland Kilsyth.

Offline norbersives

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Saturday 06 October 18 11:23 BST (UK) »
I have the following Sives in my family tree:-
Alexander Sives, Farm Servant. Born 1822 Gladsmuir, East Lothian.
Married Christine Simpson who was born 1822 Haddingtonshire.

Alexander and Christine had a daughter, Lilias Marion Sives born 14 September 1856. Gilchristian Parish, Salton, Haddington.
Lilias married Andrew Johnston who was a Farm Labourer/Ploughman.
Lilias died in 1907.

I wonder if they link into your Sives ancestors?

Wilton Endeavour
excellent contribution
There data that I did not have. I thank you, I am updating my tree. If you can contribute more of them, welcome.
lilian brothers:
joan, alexander, john, george, agnes, william, robert
from lilian's family I do not have any information.
If you have more to pass me, children of Lilian and other descendants.

Thanks Wlton
To be able to unite the Sives family (from Argentina) with the Sives family (from Scotland)

Offline Wilton Endeavour

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Saturday 06 October 18 20:51 BST (UK) »
Lilias Marion Sives and Andrew Johnston had a son called Alexander Sives Johnston. He was born 1885 and he later became a shale miner/platelayer.
Alexander married Mary Jane Marshall Thom on 27th September 1907 at the Manse, Kirkliston, Linlithgow.
Alexander died on 3rd April 1940 at 52 Front Street, Mossend. It also has Mossend, West Calder. Not sure if it's meant to have two places.
Mary Jane was a housekeeper and she was born on 25th July 1882 at Meadowbank North Lodge, Kirkliston, Edinburgh.

Wilton Endeavour
Snadon Clackmannan/Alloa, Sim/Syme Kilsyth, Davies Kirknewton, Mowbray Colinton/Kirknewton, Shaw Kilsyth, Allan Lasswade/Penicuik, Mullin Waterford, Kirkwood Kilsyth, Laird Denny, Haggart Blackfriars Lanarkshire, Bell Dalmeny, Willets Worcestershire, Cleland Kilsyth.

Offline norbersives

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 10:31 BST (UK) »
Monica

My great-grandfather Archibald Sives (born approximately in 1845) married Caroline Philpott (1862-1850) and they had their first child in 1882 Heribert Archibald Sives (1882-1933)
Could it be the same Archibald Sives (1840-?) Who married Helen Robertson? in first nuptials on 06 JUL 1865 Dundee, Angus, Scotland. And on 01 JUN 1866 Archibald Sives was born in DUNDEE, ANGUS, SCOTLAND.

What you say?

I do not find anything about Caroline Philpott, daughter of William Henry Philpott and Caroline Pierce.

Norberto

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 12:43 BST (UK) »
I did do a little digging around the Archibald Sives, husband of Helen Robertson.  He was a sailmaker by trade. Hence my earlier reference earlier to him being at sea. We have this Archibald with his family in earlier censuses. Then his marriage to Helen in 1865 and the birth of son Archibald the following year.

He then disappears. No Scottish death for him that I can see.

I haven't got my notes to hand which are at home. From memory, Helen married in the early 1870s as a widow. She then shows with new husband and son Archibald in later censuses.

Son Archibald became a baker and a pastry chef and, at some point, joined the merchant navy I believe. He married early 1900s in Dundee from memory. No clues on his father Archibald other than he showed as deceased.

We have not been able to find Archibald, Helen and Archibald Jnr in the Scottish 1871 census which would help.

An outside possibility that this Archibald could have disappeared on his travels by sea and left Helen and child? Then started his new life some years later with Carolina in Argentina?

Just guesses really...

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Tuesday 09 October 18 12:47 BST (UK) »
For you now I think it is very crucial to find some documentary proof in Argentina from either Archibald's marriage or death registrations. Have you had any success in following up on this?

With this type of search, it can help so much to have at least one hard fact to link back to.

This is the only Scottish Archibald Sives that we have really to follow up on, who is close to what you have for him in terms of bio. The fact that there is no trace of him in Scotland after the birth of his son Archibald in 1866 keeps him as a strong possible for now.

Monica