Author Topic: Looking for Vincent Stuart  (Read 4149 times)

Offline heathpete

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Looking for Vincent Stuart
« on: Monday 05 May 08 07:58 BST (UK) »
I don't know if anyone is able to help me with my inquiry but here it goes. I'm trying to find out some information about my Father's Father. Dad was born out of wedlock in 1933 and raised by his Grandmother on the Black Isle.His Father was Vincent Stuart of Inverness. He was a Doctor, maybe a Surgeon.
     He would have been born around 1900, give or take a few years.
    This is all I know. I do have a couple of photo's of him but they don't tell me anything.
                   Thank You. Heather Jack

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Vincent Stuart
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 May 08 10:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Heather

A search of births for a Vincent St*rt (to pick up on spelling variants) unfortunately does not bring up any births in Inverness-shire or bordering counties anytime between 1855-1935. There are only 9 records showing, starting in 1901 in Renfrewshire.  Some of these entries include Vincent as a middle name. Similarly, there are no marriages showing up to 1932 (the cut off date on Scotlands People) for a Vincent St*rt in Inverness-shire.

I assume your Dad was brought up by his maternal grandmother so that wouldn't necessarily provide more clues about his father.

Regards.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heathpete

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 May 08 11:02 BST (UK) »
   Thanks for your reply. I believe Dad never had contact with his Father and yes he was brought up by his Maternal Grandmother. Dad was always asked if he wanted to know more about his Father but he always declined. I, on the other hand, am extremely interested to know a little bit more.
    I believe one of the photos I have, was taken on his wedding day. He appears to be in his mid to late thirties or early forties.
                        Thank you again for your time. Heather Jack

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 May 08 11:08 BST (UK) »
SP are about to release the extended indexes for marriages on their site (as they have recently done for births and deaths). At present you can only search and view images up to 1932. The extended indexes will let you search past this date and then order the certificate. You may be lucky and find a marriage entry in Inverness-shire for father Vincent  post 1932 (given that your father was born in 1933) :)

Monica  :)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 May 08 11:19 BST (UK) »
Heather

Not seeing any deaths in Inverness-shire either up to 2006. It may be that your grandfather was working in Inverness-shire met your grandmother and your father was born. Grandfather then moved on from Inverness-shire?

The promising thing for you is that there are not many entries for either births or deaths showing with this name which hopefully will make it easier for you to find him!

Monica

Offline heathpete

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 May 08 12:46 BST (UK) »
Monica,
      Thank you again for your response and help.  ;D
                                       Heather