Author Topic: Great Great Grandfather and others  (Read 7395 times)

Offline 54aron

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Great Great Grandfather and others
« on: Monday 05 May 08 15:21 BST (UK) »
My great great grandfather originally came to the United States from Russia but later went to England because he felt that America was too secularized for him.  I am trying to find his dates of death and birth.  His wife, my great great grandmother stayed here in the US and she was born around 1839ish, so that should help with the year he was born.  His name was David Wolowitz.

Also had a first cousin, three times removed who is also part of my Wolowitz family but he spelled it Wolovitz. He was Max (Jul 12, 1878 to Dec 08, 1952) and his wife Eva (Abt.  1880 to Oct 20, 1970), died in London.  Need any information about any children they may have had.  It is believed that some of the family stayed in England and some went to South Africa.

It is also believed that some of the family changed the last name to Witts.

Any help would be hugely appreciated!

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Great Great Grandfather and others
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 May 08 21:05 BST (UK) »
Have you got some more information about his wife and children? We should be able to find him/them on the US and perhaps UK censuses (although I'm not at the moment seeing any obvious hits for him in UK records). Which part of the US was he in? Can you narrow down about when he came to England?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline 54aron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 May 08 00:46 BST (UK) »
I do not have much information about my great great grandfather David Wolowitz.  All of the children he and my great great grandmother had, with the exception of their daughter Freydl, came to America --some to Philadelphia and some to New York City.  I have found a lot of information on their children for my family tree but he is the one that is a mystery.  I can tell you that his parents were named Shneur Zalman and Freydl and they were from Russia...they came from Borzna and probably areas near it.  I know Channa died here in the United States, but I do not know when or where she is buried.

As for Max (Mottl) Wolovitz and his wife Eva (nee Arichon), only the information I provided you with, is what I know.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 May 08 11:34 BST (UK) »
Okay, so:
Who was his wife (Channa?) and who were the children who came to the US?
When did they come to the US - have you found their entry? He may have come with them or a little before.
Which censuses in the US do they appear on? Does his wife show up as married, widowed, other? Under which spellings?

For Max and Eva, were they married in the US? In England? In Russia?

freebmd.rootsweb.com shows no entries for Wolovitz, and neither does the London Gazette. A few hits for Wolowitz but nobody recognizable as your family. You could get Eva's death certificate (www.gro.gov.uk) and see who was the informant.

http://www.findmypast.com/passengerListPersonSearchStart.action - you might find the people who went to SA here.

Offline 54aron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 May 08 14:54 BST (UK) »
Okay, so:
Who was his wife (Channa?) and who were the children who came to the US?
When did they come to the US - have you found their entry? He may have come with them or a little before.

I am not concerned with when he came to the US, I want to know when he died in England.
Which censuses in the US do they appear on? Does his wife show up as married, widowed, other? Under which spellings?

David does not show up on any US Census but Channa appears in the 1920 Census and she is living with her son, Hyman.

Channa was David's wife; their children were Fredyl, Chaim, Harry, Eli, and Charles. (those are their englilsh names).

For Max and Eva, were they married in the US? In England? In Russia?
I believe they married in Russia.  Max's parents were Chaim Aron and Ite.  I believe also that he had a sister named Pearl, who also left Russia and went to England instead of the US.

freebmd.rootsweb.com shows no entries for Wolovitz, and neither does the London Gazette. A few hits for Wolowitz but nobody recognizable as your family. You could get Eva's death certificate (www.gro.gov.uk) and see who was the informant.

http://www.findmypast.com/passengerListPersonSearchStart.action - you might find the people who went to SA here.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 May 08 15:28 BST (UK) »
I am not trying to be difficult; I am trying to help you figure out approximately when he came to England.  There are no indexed passenger lists into England, so it is not feasible to search those. There are no obvious hits for him that I can see in the censuses or the free indexes, and searching through the full indexes is very tedious if you don't have at least approximate dates, particularly as his name may have been misspelt or changed to Witts or something similar.

What you should do is try and construct a timeline for him, so as to work out when approximately he came to England. For this purpose, the US information is important.

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://5bravemen.weebly.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 08 May 08 09:18 BST (UK) »
Hi 54aron

Welcome to Rootschat.  :)

There is a Max Wolfowitch aged 23 from Russia with a wife named Rachel on the 1891 census.

Rg12/277 Pg 2 Folio 53 Sch 6 No. 81 Hanbury St, Mile End

Max Wolfowitch Head M 23 Upholsterer Cabt. Russia
Rachel Wife M 24 Russia
Hetty Daur 4 Spitalfields, London
Polly Daur 2 Mile End
Annie Daur 1 Mile End

Sandy

Census Crown Copyright

Offline 54aron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 08 May 08 10:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you Sandy...

I think I made one error in my original post...I think the England branch of my family changed the last name to Witz, not Witts...I am not sure, but just re-read an email from a cousin.

I checked on Ancestry.com, and found a Lionel Wolovitz from London but I do not know if he is a relative of mine or not, I am presuming he is but I do not know his lineage.   

Can someone help me find out who his family is?

Offline Svenja

• RootsChat Senior
  • Kreszentia Beinberger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 08 May 08 17:48 BST (UK) »
Hello Aron

All the names you mentioned in your posts here sound jewish.
If they were jews have you searched on JewishGen?
There are some Wilowitch, Wilovitch, Vilovitch, Volewitch,
Volowitch, Wolovitz in the Worldwide Burial Registry England.

Best regards

Svenja

Switzerland + USA: Iten, Letter, Besmer, Mathis, Meier, Schwager, Eisenring
Germany/Bavaria: Beinberger, Painberger, Schleich, Pfeiffer, Weber, Schelle
Germany/Bavaria: Boeck, Rauch, Pracht, Sporer, Schorer, Mahler, Grotz
Germany/Franken: Weidner, Reuss, Beifuss, Trenkert, Drenkert, Drenkart
Germany/Jewish: Bachmann, Bamberger, Straus(s), Kraus(s), Lehmann, Gutmann
I can read and write German, English and French.
I can translate from Italian and Latin to the above languages.