Author Topic: Andrew Knox/Catherine Magovern  (Read 6919 times)

Offline aileenmwallace

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Andrew Knox/Catherine Magovern
« on: Monday 05 May 08 20:01 BST (UK) »
Hi there, I have managed to find the marriage certificate of my ancestor Andrew Knox it shows him as a widower. Rank Farmer. Living in Aghaleague County Fermanagh. His Father as William also a Farmer.  Catherine lived in Aghagaffert and her father Joseph also was a farmer.  How do |I  go about finding further information i.e. Mother's names,  birth /death certificates ?  Any help would be greatly appreciated !! :-\ :-\

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew Knox/Catherine Magovern
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 May 08 20:15 BST (UK) »
The information available will depend on several factors including the date of the marriage, date of birth of bride and groom, etc. As you haven't posted the marriage date here I can only give you general advice.
Civil registration of births, deaths and Catholic marriages began in 1864 (from 1845 for other marriages). While birth certificates will list details like date and place of birth and names of both parents if a person was born before 1864 there will be no birth certificate and the next step is to search for church records (if they still exist). To do so you need to know the family's religion and where they lived.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aileenmwallace

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 May 08 21:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the response !   The date of the marriage was 7th Dec.1852 . There is no age , it is shown as Full Age which I assume this means they were older than 21 !? They were married in the  Church of Ireland & England . I assume that means they were Protestants? :-\ :-\

Offline aileenmwallace

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 May 08 21:38 BST (UK) »
sorry!  I'm assuming they stayed in they area where thet married ?  before coming to Scotland?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 May 08 22:00 BST (UK) »
I the marriage took place in 1852 it is possible that Andrew's 1st marriage took place before civil registration which started in 1845 for Protestant marriages.
Marriages usually, but not always, took place in the bride's church so Andrew and then later his children may not have been Church of Ireland (which is a Protestant denomination).
Church records may have been microfilmed by LDS- see their catalogue online at www.familysearch.org to check if records are available and if so what dates they cover.
Griffith's Valuation (1862) lists an Andrew Knox in Aghaleague, Magheraculmoney Parish but there's no way of knowing whether or not this is the same Andrew Knox.
Did they move to Scotland? were any children born in Scotland? did they die in Scotland?
Scottish certificates give lots more details than Irish ones.

Offline aileenmwallace

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 May 08 22:40 BST (UK) »
 yes ,They came to Scotland I have their children and I have Catherine's death certificate but so far I have'nt managed to find Andrew's  I will certainly try your suggestions as I am keen to try and trace back in Ireland if I can!

Offline aileenmwallace

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 May 08 08:26 BST (UK) »
Hi,  Thank you for your advice. Please excuse my ignorance but where would I find Griffiths Valuation Records? :-[

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 06 May 08 09:02 BST (UK) »
Griffith's Valuation (partial transcript):
www.failteromhat.com/griffiths.htm
this gives name of tenant, townland, parish but original printed books give name of tenant, name of immediate lessor, acreage, description (land/house/offices/yard/bog, etc.) annual rent for land and for buildings and map reference to locate property on valuation maps.

Offline aileenmwallace

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 06 May 08 10:02 BST (UK) »
Thank You sooooo much!! ;D