Author Topic: GRIFFITHS, London anytime  (Read 10242 times)

Offline lyla

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
GRIFFITHS, London anytime
« on: Monday 05 May 08 21:16 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am researching the following Griffiths family, does anyone have a connection?

John Griffiths born shoreditch 1804 to John George (upholder) and Frances Griffiths.

John married Elizabeth Bowden 1825, their children were Julia Olive (married Frederick Wood), Ellen Elizabeth (married Frederick Edmonds),  Alfred, Henry (married Leticia Hill Fletcher), Ann (never married), Edwin (married Sarah Deighton).

I beleive John George was the son of John and Betty Griffiths born 1781 shoreditch and that they also had daughter Elizabeth 1787 who married Samuel Chace (master mariner and later publican).

Lyla
LONDON: Flewers/Fluers, Pullen, Leary, Griffiths, Wood, Mitchell. HERTS: Barker, Bates, Dickens, Hutchins, Slater, King, Kent, Overill, Peters. BEDS/BUCKS: Whitbread, Horley, Seabrook, Horn(e), Jenkins, Woodward. BERKS/HAMPS: Gibson, Tigg, Boames, Parker SUFFOLK: Mason, Mott, Suttle, Twitchett, Everard, Feveryar, Riches, Clarke, Harper, Potter, Brinkley. BRISTOL: Mitchell, Pullen. CLACKMANNANSHIRE/FIFE, Keir, Sym(e), Watson, GLASGOW/IRELAND: Collins, Brown, Paterson. IRELAND: Leary, Collins

Offline lyla

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: GRIFFITHS, London anytime
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 May 08 21:30 BST (UK) »
I also have the will of Frances Griffiths of Poplar, widow of Owen Griffiths, shipwright which was written in1828 but by 1835 a note was added as all but one of the beneficiaries were deceased.

This is not my family (so far) - does anyone recognise them?

From the will and the IGI it seems that Frances was first married to John Hill and had children Frances and Mary Ann. She then married Owen Griffiths and had William, Martha and Charlotte. All the above children were dead by 1835 and so it seems the surviving daughter Elizabeth (probably Hill rather than Griffiths) married to Thomas Wolley got the lot. Elizabeth's daughter Ann Mary Wolley is also mentioned and she seems to be the daughter of Thomas Wolleys previous wife Ann Mary Wolley.

Anyway, if any of these names are ringing any bells let me know as I can send more details

Lyla

LONDON: Flewers/Fluers, Pullen, Leary, Griffiths, Wood, Mitchell. HERTS: Barker, Bates, Dickens, Hutchins, Slater, King, Kent, Overill, Peters. BEDS/BUCKS: Whitbread, Horley, Seabrook, Horn(e), Jenkins, Woodward. BERKS/HAMPS: Gibson, Tigg, Boames, Parker SUFFOLK: Mason, Mott, Suttle, Twitchett, Everard, Feveryar, Riches, Clarke, Harper, Potter, Brinkley. BRISTOL: Mitchell, Pullen. CLACKMANNANSHIRE/FIFE, Keir, Sym(e), Watson, GLASGOW/IRELAND: Collins, Brown, Paterson. IRELAND: Leary, Collins

Offline scrappyshaz

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 June 08 17:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Lyla,
I am descended from Letita Hill Fletcher's brother Simeon Fletcher. Their mother was Susannah Hill from a Surrey family. I can't see a Hill connection at this stage. But can tell you a little of Henry & Letita's sons if you would like that info
Cheers,
Shaz
HOLTON - Buckingham, Middlesex, New Zealand, Australia
JARVIS - Buckingham, Hertford, Australia
CROSS - Walmer Kent, New Zealand
PURSER - Idlicote, Warwickshire

Offline lyla

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 June 08 22:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Shaz

I was recently in touch with a descendent of Henry and Letitia's son Arthur Griffiths (later Hill-Griffiths) who went to Australia. I had previously not been able to trace them but she told me that the two orphaned boys were sent to a training ship on the Thames.

Did you know that they also had a sister Emma Leticia who went to live with her grandparents John and Elizabeth Griffiths. She is the only grandchild that got a mention in John's will.

My connection is through Henry's sister Julia Olive Griffiths.

Lyla

Offline lyla

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 23 June 08 23:39 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have been tidying my notes and discovered all the Griffith(s) I came across whilst searching the records at the Guildhall Library some time ago. I dont need them anymore but can't bring myself to throw them away without posting them somewhere first.

Please note there are probably some very bad transcription errors as I am reading from my own scribbled transcriptions. My family are in bold.

Lyla

Marriages St Leonards Shoreditch

5/9/1757 Godfrey Griffith / Catherine Richards wits Thos Munsford / Ann Turnape
10/7/1810 John Griffiths / Elizabeth Rees wits Wm Jones / Sarah Lloyd
15/7/1816 John Joseph Griffiths / Elizabeth Cutmore wits Thos Griffiths / Mary Ann Castey
29/5/1829 James Griffiths / Mary Curran wits John Bunker / G Garfow
7/12/1831 Amelia Griffiths / Peter Cutmore wits Ann Cutmore / John Spying
17/1/1832 Henry Griffith / Eliz Bell wits Jane Marshall

Baptisms St Leonards Shoreditch

18/9/1796 John Thomas s of John and Alice Griffiths of Union Crescent born 26/9/1789
18/9/1796 James Edward s of John and Alice Griffiths of Union Crescent born 1/7/1796
18/7/1802 John of John and Frances Ann Griffiths of Queen Square born 21/6/1802
1/1/1804 John of John George and Frances Ann Griffiths of Queen Square born 10/2/1803

17/9/1805 James Alfred of John George and Fanny Griffiths of Queen Square born 10/6/1805
14/4/1811 Eliza of John and Frances Griffiths, Old Street Road born 18/5/1811
18/4/1813 John Thomas s of John and Mary Griffiths of Dukes Court, Whitesmith
6/6/1814 Mary to John and Frances Griffiths of Kingsland Road born 2/11/1807 Upholder
13/6/1828 George to John and Mary Griffith, Holywell Lane, Smith
31/5/1829 Joseph to John and Hariet Griffiths, Willow St, Carpenter (12/10/1826)
31/5/1829 Henry to John and Hariet Griffiths, Willow St, Carpenter (6/8/1828)
24/4/1831 Esther Sarah to John and Mary Griffith, Holywell Lane, Smith
11/1/1832 Harriet to John and Sarah Griffiths, Huntingdon St, Smith
3/7/1835 John James to John and Ann Griffith, Hart St, Butcher
28/2/1836 Frederick to John Thos and Caroline Griffiths, New Inn Yard, Smith
28/2/1836 William to John Thos and Caroline Griffiths, New Inn Yard, Smith

Burials St Leonards Shoreditch

20/2/1801 John Griffiths of Hackney Road 48 yrs
27/3/1803 John Griffiths of French Gardens age 48 yrs
9/11/1814 Margaret Griffiths of Axe Court age 2.5 yrs
24/11/1814 Richard Griffiths of Tabernacle Place age 5 mths
15/1/1815 James Griffiths of Leonard St, age 22 yrs
2/5/1815 Ann Griffiths of Batemans Row age 62 years
16/7/1815 Maria Griffiths of Land of Promise age 4 mths
24/9/ 1815 Thomas Griffiths of Batemans Row age 62 yrs
25/6/1816 Thomas Griffiths of Tabernacle Square age 5 mths

Other Parishes - Marriages

Christchurch Greyfriars Newgate
6/9/1825 John Griffiths / Elizabeth Bowden wits J Knight / Ann Mary Fleming

St Brides Fleet Street
8/2/1826 John Griffiths / Elizabeth Clements Fossick wits Wm Wright / Ann
Larner

St Katherine Coleman
20/3/1828 John Griffiths (widower) / Eliza Owles wits Mr Brown / Ann Coffsey

Other Parishes - Baptisms

St Botolphs without Aldgate
22/4/1825 Ann (6/4/1818) and Elizabeth (3/8/1814) to John and Elizabeth
Griffiths of Queen Street, Tailor
26/7/1829 John Thomas to John and Eliza Griffiths of Forran? St, Foreman at
Catherine Dock

St Botolph without Aldersgate
22/4/1830 (8/6/1836) Elizabeth to John and Elizabeth Griffiths, Long Lane,
Moulder

St Botolphs without Bishopsgate
12/7/1829 Julia of Fred and Julia Griffiths, Haberdasher St, Hoxton, Painter

St Mary Colechurch
7/4/1805 (14/3/1805) George Gandon to John Yew and Elizabeth Griffith

St Giles Cripplegate
22/10/1815 William Henry (28/4/1805), Bernard (12/6/1808) to John and
Elizabeth Griffiths, White St, Shoemaker

Offline lyla

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 April 09 21:42 BST (UK) »
Just a little update on my Griffiths.

I am now almost certain that my John George Griffiths 1781 and his sister Elizabeth 1787 were the children of John and Betty Griffiths who married in 1777.

I have obtained a copy of John senior's will and he owned property that he left to his daughter Elizabeth and her husband Samuel Chace. Samuel was a master mariner whaler who later became a publican. In the early-mid 1800s they both had interests in The Kings Arms, Aldersgate, the Olive Branch Lambeth and the Bell in Felton Street. John George died very young but his children (some born at Felton Street) are all named in his father's will. John Griffiths died in 1832 age unknown.

But where did John Griffiths come from? There are a few possible merchants in the trade directories in the 1770s but nothing conclusive. I would be very grateful to hear if anyone comes across a John Griffiths who was a victualler / publican / merchant with possible seafaring connections in London around that time.

Regards
Lyla

Offline colburn41

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 11 August 09 19:51 BST (UK) »
HI I am not sure if this helps. My parents have been researching the Griffiths family - my mother's maiden name. Her father Ernest was one of about nine children to George Thomas Griffiths and Mary Ann Field. He was christened in 1841 in St Leonards, Shoreditch his father was Joseph William Griffiths who was a book keeper. Thomas was a fish porter. It is thought he was a freeman of London.

Offline ahb09

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 13 January 10 15:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lyla
Only just found your post on Griffiths. My 4 x great grandfather was James Alfred Griffiths b1805 to John George Griffiths and Frances Ann nee Stockwell. James was a tailor and draper.

I have John George b1781 to John Griffiths and Elizabeth (or Betty?) East.

Ann

Offline lyla

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 13 January 10 20:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ann

Yes that is the same family as mine. I cannot find the death of John George Griffiths - have you had any luck? I know that he was deceased by 1816 when his son John started his apprenticeship. I found Frances in 1841 Islington living with her married daugther Mary Ann Blaydon but I can't find her or the Blaydons after that.

As for John Georges father - I have a copy of his will and know that he died in 1832 but I have no record of his burial.  I know that he married Betty East in 1777 St Andrew Wardrobe but have not managed to find anything more conclusive about either of them so far.

I hope you will keep in touch and let me know if you find anything interesting. Do you know the details of James Alfred's marriage? I have a note that he may have married the widow Mary Phoebe Hood in 1832? Does that sound likely?

Look forward to hearing from you
Lyla