Author Topic: where do I go from here?  (Read 2609 times)

Offline Helena98

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
where do I go from here?
« on: Tuesday 06 May 08 00:35 BST (UK) »
Ah!ha! finally a place I might be able to get answers from. I'm trying to track down a couple of Irish families with NO luck at all.  ???

William McCluskey b.c.1801 Derry Co married c. 1818 Mary Donaghy b.c.1801 Derry Co [the family was Roman Catholic]

following children are definite children to Wm & Mary:
1-Manus b. Nov 20, 1820 Derry Co
2-Henry b.c.1830 Derry Co
3-Bernard b.c.1837 Derry Co
4-Isaac b.c.1838 Derry Co
5-William b.May 10, 1842 Derry Co
6-Annie b.c.1844 Derry Co

the following children are possible children to Wm & Mary:
1-Patrick b.c.1819 Londonderry
2-John b.c.1825 Derry Co
3-Micheal b.c.1829 Derry Co
4-Mary b.c.1831 Faughanvale, County Derry, Ireland

Mary is the only one i've ever found more information on such as the parish she was born in. The rest of the family I always hit a brickwall with Derry County.

I checked the LDS site and found what I think may be a good fit with John:
John McClosky, christening Jan 19, 1824, Drumachose, Londonderry, Ireland.
Father: William McClosky Mother: Mary
Batch#: C700211 Dates: 1730-1875 Source: 0496750 Film: 0933427

My question? where do I go from here? Some years back I contacted Brian Mitchell at the Derry Genealogical Centre only to be told that they would not be able to locate anything because there were no marriage or baptism records available for the Catholic faith for the years I was looking for.  :'(

If there are no marriage or baptism records what other records can I use?

I'm also looking for a Mulherin family - Patrick Mulherin b.c.1805 Derry Co [surpsise!!]
married c,1825 Bridget O'hara b.c.1805 Derry Co.

from their immigration record I was able to find that the family was from Muff, Derry Co, Ireland. Is Muff what is known as Eglinton now?

Their son Arthur Mulherin b. April 1826 married c.1843 Susan [her maiden name sometimes shows up as Lindsay and other times Smith] b. March 12, 1829 Co Wicklow

Their daugther Katherine Mary Mulherin born November 14, 1845 in Wicklow County. Patrick came to Canada in 1845 and Bridget and family followed in 1847.

The dates are from either death records or census records.

Can somebody help point me in the right direction?
Thx - Helena

McCluskey - Derry Co, Ireland
Mulherin - Derry Co, Ireland
Watson - Barrowden, Rutland County, England
Long - Ireland
Curless/Corless/Curliss/Corliss - Tyrone Co, Ireland

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: where do I go from here?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 May 08 00:45 BST (UK) »
Hello Helena,

Welcome to RootsChat.

I'd say that your ancestors may have come from Dungiven. There are still many McCluskeys, including spelling variations, in the town and surrounding area. The problem will be proving that your ancestors also came from that locality. All McCluskeys originate from North East Ulster. The McCluskey Sept were centered around Dungiven for centuries. http://clankane.net/McCluskey_Sept.htm

Dungiven - Lewis's 1837 Topographical Dictionary of Ireland
www.from-ireland.net/derry/lewis/dungiven.htm

There were McCluskeys in Co. Derry Parishes other than the ones in the links below but these are the ones where there were large numbers ...

Griffith's Valuations - Co. Derry - 1858-9
www.failteromhat.com/griffiths/derry/banagher.htm
www.failteromhat.com/griffiths/derry/dungiven.htm
www.failteromhat.com/griffiths/derry/ballynascreen.htm
www.failteromhat.com/griffiths/derry/bovevagh.htm

Here are the here are the Parishes where there were low numbers of McCluskeys.
Aghadowey (5), Aghanloo (10), Agivey (0), Arboe (0), Artrea (10), Ballinderry (0), Ballyaghran (0), Ballymoney (0), Ballyrashane (0), Ballymascullion (1), Ballywillin (0), Balteagh (4), Carrick (7), Clondermot (9), Coleraine (0) Cumber Lower (6), Cumber Upper (17), Derryloran (0), Desertlyn (0), Desertmartin (0), Desertoghill (0), Drumachose (5), Dunboe (1), Errigal (11), Faughanvale (10), Fermoyle (0), Kilcronaghan (1), Kildollagh (0), Killelagh (1), Killowen (3), Kilrea (1), Learmont (20), Lissan (0), Macosquin (0), Maghera (11), Magherfelt (5), Magilligan (1), Tamlaght (0), Tamlaght Finlagan (5), Tamlaght Ocrilly (0), Templemore (7) and Termoneeny (0).

Christopher

Offline Helena98

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 May 08 00:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Christoper,

thanks for the info and site. I'll make time to check that out. I'll have to give Dungiven a bit of a look to see if/what I can come up with?

Thx - Helena
Long - Ireland

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 May 08 09:24 BST (UK) »
Dungiven R.C. Church (St. Patrick's):
baptisms 1825-1834
deaths 1825-1832

Microfilmed copies of the above records are at PRONI, Belfast and Coleraine Library. I checked LDS catalogue but didn't see them listed.

Drumachose R.C. Church and Limavady R.C. Church (St. Mary's) also have microfilmed records but the records don't cover the dates you mention.

Did your McCluskys stay in Ireland or move to another country?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Helena98

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 May 08 13:38 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I should have mentioned that my McCluskeys' came to New Brunswick, Canada in 1848 [re: census information]. I have yet to find the ship they came on. Not sure if they came directly through a port in Canada or United States.

My McCluskeys' settled in Grand Falls, New Brunswick and most lived out their lives there. Manus McCluskey [son of Wm and Mary] was once considered the largest land owner in the area. Grand Falls is situated very near the Canada - Maine, USA border.

Would you know if there are documents somewhere showing ships/passengers leaving Ireland for Canada or Maine, USA in 1848?
Long - Ireland