Author Topic: White family of Whitehall Broughshane  (Read 31556 times)

Offline ElizabethAL

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: White family of Whitehall Broughshane
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 22 November 08 19:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Barbara,

I too am trying to research a member of the White family. My great-grandfather, Charles White, was born in Ireland in 1832. He joined the British Army (I don't know the regiment) and fought in India and Aden. He retired to South Africa where he volunteered for the Natal Mounted Police, and went to help the British Army up country. He was killed at the Battle of Isandlwhana in 1879.

The family story is that he was related (cousin?) to Sir George Stuart White of Broughshane, Co Antrim (b.1835) who originally joined the Inniskillins and also fought in India.  Charles was apparently 'cut off' from his family (which is why it is doubly difficult to trace anything about him). However, there may be a record of Charles White's birth in the First Presbyterian Church in Broughshane but I have not been able to check.

You will find some more info on him on my website, www.alittlebluejacket.com also available through my blog, lucyannwrites.blogspot.com

I do hope that you might be able to give me some help but am afraid all I can help you with in your quest at this moment is to give you this information about Charles White.

All the best, Elizabeth

Offline helenar

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 22 November 08 21:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi

There is this birth, there is no guarantee it is your record and it is in there twice it could be the same record repeated I have come across this before.

Not all records are on this site and there could be another Charles White born the same year

WHITE CHARLES 1832 Father is GEORGE Co. Down

http://www.ancestryireland.com/index.php?ai_home

Helena

Offline helenar

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 22 November 08 21:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Elizabeth and Barbara

Have you tried PRONI Will index

If you key in White as a surname then use registery Befast, full abstract Broughshane or Down if you think that could be yours Elizabeth. Make sure you tick the check box and it will give you all the people who left wills with the name White mentioned in that area.

http://www.proni.gov.uk/index/search_the_archives/will_calendars/wills_search.htm

Helena

Offline ElizabethAL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 23 November 08 19:36 GMT (UK) »
Helena, you are brilliant!
I looked up the PRONI Will index and this George looks a likely.

I don't know how I find out if his family is mentioned in the will but intend to try. Of course, if he is my Charles White's father, and if he did disinherit his son he is unlikely to have mentioned him in his will! Anyway, its given me an impetus to keep going.

I should like to find out if George/Charles were related to Gen Sir George Stuart White becuse it would make information gathering more simple.  It's interesting to note that Charles had several sons: among them a Charles Frederick, John, James, Edward and George James! 

Thanks again for your help. Elizabeth

Offline jwaugh

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 23 November 08 19:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi ElizabethAL

What was the date of probate for the George White you found in the Wills database?

If its between 1858 and 1899 and a Will not letters of Administration you can view a copy of the Will at the Public Records Office Northern Ireland (PRONI). Its on microfilm ref MIC15C.

After 1900 you can view the original documents in the PRONI reading room.

John
Stewart, Stuart, Todd, Duncan, Waugh, in Ballyclare, Ballyeaston, Rashee, Cairncastle areas of Antrim, Northern Ireland (Ireland)

Offline RosemaryJoan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 24 November 08 14:07 GMT (UK) »
PRONI will also phsotocopy the will for you and post it.  I have had this done.  Send them an email with all the details and they will send you instruction on how to pay (but, be patient, it takes a while for them to reply!!)RosemaryJoan
Cully, Bannister, McConnell, Wallace (Co. Armagh)  Anderson, Ross (Co. Antrim), Gray, Truesdale (Co. Down)
McCormick (Killyleagh and finally Belfast)

Offline ElizabethAL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 29 November 08 16:30 GMT (UK) »
Thank you to RosemaryJoan and John, for your invaluable advice. Sorry I'm not replying individually but I'm not au fait with this site yet.

I think the will was 'granted' in 1876 so I may be able to get a copy: I shall certainly email them to find out.

Regards, Elizabeth

Offline ElizabethAL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 29 November 08 16:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello Nylon,

I too  am researching the White's of White Hall. If you search the RootsChat site you'll get the picture!

You mention that John White had four sons, one of whom was James Robert, the father of George Stuart White (born 1835) : I wonder if you have learned what the other sons were called? I am hoping one was named George.

The George White I am seeking details of, died in County Antrim in 1876. He may have been born anytime between (I guess) 1785 and 1812. His son, Charles, however, was born in County Down in 1832. 

Regards, Elizabeth

Offline helenar

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 29 November 08 17:31 GMT (UK) »
Elizabeth and Nylon

Go to history from headstones, then search then free inscriptions

http://www.ancestryireland.com/index.php

You may have to create a login

Enter search text again, it is a bit messy for the free inscriptions once you view what you want, then you have to go over to the free inscriptions on the left of your view and enter search text again. This is a pay to view site with some free inscriptions

Just in case you have not received my PM as you may not have enough post you will find a gravestone with George Stuart White amongst the free inscriptions.

There are also some other pay to view gravestones for White in the same graveyard beware you might pay for them and they may not be what you are looking for

Helena