Author Topic: Hannah Walker Topliss born 1821  (Read 28849 times)

Offline livia

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hannah Walker Topliss born 1821
« on: Wednesday 07 May 08 10:03 BST (UK) »
I have traced one branch of my family back to  HANNAH WALKER TOPLISS who was born 11/7/1821 on the Isle of Man. She married THOMAS GILBERTSON who was born in Burnley, Lancashire 23/4/1820. They migrated to South Australia. I think they arrived in the 1840s, and were probably married before they left (given that she was pregnant with their first child Joseph). I am curious to know whether Thomas and Hannah were related in some way, because there is a WALKER GILBERTSON born 16/8/1794 in Skipton, Yorkshire - just coincidence with Hannah's middle name? Any information or hints for further searching on Hannah's family would be appreciated.
Gilbertson (Burnley Lancs)
Maddison (Durham)
Snell (Cornwall)
Lamb (Nottinghamshire)
Simpson (Glasgow)
Topliss (Isle of Man)
Clonan (or Cloonan), Bennett (or Bent) (Westmeath Ireland)
all migrated to South Australia between 1836 and 1890s

Offline Voirrey M

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Hannah Walker Topliss born 1821
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 07 May 08 21:47 BST (UK) »
Have    you   found   Brian  Lawson's   site          www.lawsons.ca                 ???
There   are    a  very  few   entries   for   these   surnames   but   not   your   persons.

Presumably   your   baptismal   date   for    Hannah  is   fron   IGI.  I   will   look   in   the    parish   record   film  of

Lonan   for   you   ---it  is   one  of "  my  " parishes --  for   any   additional  info.

Offline livia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 May 08 01:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for your offer of help. I will check out that URL. I'm afraid I can't remember where I found Hannah's dob - I am now trying to put together pieces of information I have gathered from various sources over the past six months or so. The family story is that Hannah was a farmer's daughter and Thomas Gilbertson was a millwright who went to the Topliss property to repair their mill - next thing Hannah was pregnant and she and Thomas left for Australia. Were there no millwrights on the Isle of Man, or did Thomas go because he was a relative? All very interesting ...
Maddison (Durham)
Snell (Cornwall)
Lamb (Nottinghamshire)
Simpson (Glasgow)
Topliss (Isle of Man)

Offline Voirrey M

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 May 08 12:24 BST (UK) »
Although   there   was   unlikely  to   be   much   additional   info .  at   that   time   I   did   check  just  hoping  there
might   be   a  property  name.   Baptismal   register  Kirk   Lonan  " Hannah   Walker   Topliss  d.  of  Thos.   Topliss   &
Sarah   Travis   bapd.  privately   July   11th  "              1821
Some  others  on   page   also   had   private   baptisms.

Lonan  was   a    rural  parish   with   a   lot  of  mountain  land  &   the  parish  church   was   some   miles  from   the 
only  small village   Laxey   in   a  deep   glen   with   a   river    leading   down   to   the   sea   with   a    small   number
of   mills   not   all   "Corn "  mills   as   Lonan  had   little   fertile  land   &  only  grew   small  quantities   of   cereals.

Will   post   later   in   day   on   mills  &   burials   at   Lonan  .Although  living  at   Laxey  ,  Lonan   was   the  only
church  &   graveyard.

Offline livia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 May 08 13:32 BST (UK) »
Wonderful to find out about my great great grandmother Hannah and where she lived  - thank you so much.
Maddison (Durham)
Snell (Cornwall)
Lamb (Nottinghamshire)
Simpson (Glasgow)
Topliss (Isle of Man)

Offline Voirrey M

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 08 May 08 15:18 BST (UK) »
From   IOMFHS  burial  index     [ not     on   line]    Burials  -----   TOPLISS

Topliss   ---a   child  of   Mr    Topliss   17th  March   1835                 {   note   well   MR}
John     75   years      11th   December    1831
Sarah    a   child   of   Tho.   Topliss   6    yrs.    14th   Jan.  1835
Thomas      1 st   Oct.   1840
Thomas      son   of   Thomas   Topliss   9years    26th    Jan. 1835

order   as   copied    /  all   presumably   buried   in   Kirk Lonan   new   church  OLD   YARD   as  it   is   called   now.

Offline Voirrey M

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 08 May 08 15:30 BST (UK) »
The   IOMFHS    researchers   went   round  many   years   ago   to    try   copy   the    headstone   MIs    and   there
is   one   TOPLESS  entry    plot    U7 .     The  MI   only    refers   to  one   person   but   has   3   lines  .....................etc
which   suggests  the   MI   was   partly   unreadable.
TOPLESS   Sarah   als.  Kennish.
"  Sleeping  in   Jesus /Sacred  to    memory  of  /   SARAH  TOPLESS/  alias   KENNISH/ wife  of   THOMAS   TOPLESS  she/
was  born   at   Worsley   near  Ashburn/   Derbyshire  on   11th   March  1792/  and   died   at   Laxey on  the   2nd   Sept.   1824/   in  the   32nd   year  of   her   age "
......................................................................   etc.    Although  born  in   England   Sarah   obviously   came  from   a   
Manx   family  with  her   distinctive   surname.- KENNISH  OR  KINNISH /  old  Manx  people  say   KInnish  regardless  of
spelling.There   are   still   a  few   Kennishes  living  in   Laxey.

Offline Voirrey M

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 08 May 08 15:56 BST (UK) »
   JOHN   FELTHAM  in   a  tour   through  IOM  in1798   said  Laxey   was    was   just   30   cottages/   a  herring
house  /a   flax   mill    /a tucking   mill   & 3   corn   mills./////  The   flax  mill  was   known   to   have  several   owners &
supplied   cloth   for  the   island's  garrisons  &boats.   Later     one   was   probably   a   fulling  mill - cleaning   wool .  One   a  paper   mill.   Much  later  all   this  valley  land   was   taken  up   by  lead  mines  &   Laxey  became   a  small  town.

Which   type  of   milling   do  you   think  the   TOPLISS  family   are   likely  to   have   been  involved  in. ?
I   spent   part  of   my   childhood  in  Lonan   &   so  its  always  interesting   to   find  out  more   about   the   parish.
                                                                                                                                        VOIRREY

Offline Voirrey M

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 08 May 08 17:25 BST (UK) »
In  1852    Thomas   Topliss   sold   his   property  [  whatever   it  was   ]   to   a   James  Taubman   &   so   I   will   be
able   to   find   out   where  it   was   in   Laxey   Glen.   Voirrey