Author Topic: Hannah Walker Topliss born 1821  (Read 28845 times)

Offline missmophead

• RootsChat Extra
  • Interested in stories, pictures
    • View Profile
Re: Hannah Walker Topliss born 1821
« Reply #36 on: Friday 22 April 11 10:09 BST (UK) »
Livia,

a thesis is hugely exciting - what do they say six degrees of separation - well that's working isn't it.  Only takes one to start looking... enjoy easter  :D
Barker - Hatfield Broad Oak, Essex
Topliss - Derbyshire/Isle of Man/Australia,
Sheehan - Bandon,Cork, Ireland/Australia,
Walsh - Kings County Ireland/Australia,
Mosley - Devon/Staffordshire,
McKelvie - Tyrone Ireland/Scotland/Australia
Hewitt - Warwickshire, England/Australia

Offline livia

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 22 April 11 10:59 BST (UK) »
Please don't get your hopes up about your particular branch of the family being mentioned, but the thesis will at least give you an idea of the life of the Topliss family before the various members emigrated.
Happy Easter to you too.
Livia
Gilbertson (Burnley Lancs)
Maddison (Durham)
Snell (Cornwall)
Lamb (Nottinghamshire)
Simpson (Glasgow)
Topliss (Isle of Man)
Clonan (or Cloonan), Bennett (or Bent) (Westmeath Ireland)
all migrated to South Australia between 1836 and 1890s

Offline ALKEL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 16 October 11 14:10 BST (UK) »
Sorry to intrude on this thread but I am trying to find out about John Gilbertson b1822.  A search of the internet has come up with this thread which seems to suggest that John may be a sibling of Thomas Gilbertson b 1819 with parents Richard Gilbertson and Mary Keegan.

Pregnant brides were almost the norm at that period - the cause was almost certainly financial - however all Toplis girls seemed to marry young.

On reviewing the evidence I'm strongly of the suspicion that the parents of Thomas Gilbertson were Richard G. + Mary Keegan - they have two Roman Cathothic baptims on island in 1826  - Richard died in 1840 (buried Braddan - possibly there might be a MI) Mary is found with several children at Ballafreer in Marown (just up the road from Strang area of Braddan) a publican but she is dead aged 55 in 1845 (english born in census) - no names clash with possibility of Thomas + John (the santan cartwright/joiner) being her children with arrival on Island c.1825 which might explain why John thought he was born in malew (maybe he was - I'm sure some catholic baptisms are missing) - one of the children of John emigrated to Tennessee.

I have been unable to find any trace of either John or Thomas prior to the 1841 Census or establish any connection to Richard/Mary Gilbertson, although logic would suggest they are all of the same family.
I am hoping that your research into Thomas Gilbertson may have been more successful than mine and I would be grateful if you have any info which might assist me in finding out about my G G Grandfather John Gilbertson, prior to 1841.
Regards
Alan

Offline livia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 16 October 11 16:30 BST (UK) »
I have some information which may be useful, but I am on holiday at the moment and don't have access to it - I will get back to you early November when I am back home.
Regards
Livia
Maddison (Durham)
Snell (Cornwall)
Lamb (Nottinghamshire)
Simpson (Glasgow)
Topliss (Isle of Man)

Offline ALKEL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 17 October 11 08:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks. I will start on another strand in the meantime.
Enjoy your holiday
Alan

Offline ALKEL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 06 November 11 10:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I've been looking through old Manx newspaper cuttings at the Museum and come across a couple of references to Thomas Gilbertson.  The first is basically a classified ad which appeared in the papers for a period during 1841 and the other is from 1843 where T Gilbertson was being chased in the Deemsters court by a timber merchant for payment for goods.  This case includes a reference to the Woodside paper mill.  In fact the following case reported involves Topliss and is about payment for wire supplied in connection with the paper mill.  I can let you have copies of these if you want.
Alan

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 06 November 11 12:39 GMT (UK) »
recently put part of Cubbon's bib online - www.manxnotebook.com/books/cubbon/p1467.htm - deals with paper makers
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline livia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 09 November 11 07:02 GMT (UK) »
I am back from holidays and will start delving back into family history - would be really pleased to see anything related to the Topliss family. I think my record shows that the paper mill enterprise ended in bankruptcy and suicide - will get the documents out and refresh my memory.
Livia
Maddison (Durham)
Snell (Cornwall)
Lamb (Nottinghamshire)
Simpson (Glasgow)
Topliss (Isle of Man)

Offline John and Fran

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Friday 02 March 12 11:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Livia,
Thomas Gilbertson is my g,g,g,grandfather, I am looking for any information to help find other members of his family, hope you can help.

John and fran :D

I have traced one branch of my family back to  HANNAH WALKER TOPLISS who was born 11/7/1821 on the Isle of Man. She married THOMAS GILBERTSON who was born in Burnley, Lancashire 23/4/1820. They migrated to South Australia. I think they arrived in the 1840s, and were probably married before they left (given that she was pregnant with their first child Joseph). I am curious to know whether Thomas and Hannah were related in some way, because there is a WALKER GILBERTSON born 16/8/1794 in Skipton, Yorkshire - just coincidence with Hannah's middle name? Any information or hints for further searching on Hannah's family would be appreciated.