Author Topic: Hannah Walker Topliss born 1821  (Read 28851 times)

Offline livia

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hannah Walker Topliss born 1821
« Reply #9 on: Friday 09 May 08 04:35 BST (UK) »
This is very exciting - thank you so much. My 86-year old father, Hannah's great-grandson is most interested.
Gilbertson (Burnley Lancs)
Maddison (Durham)
Snell (Cornwall)
Lamb (Nottinghamshire)
Simpson (Glasgow)
Topliss (Isle of Man)
Clonan (or Cloonan), Bennett (or Bent) (Westmeath Ireland)
all migrated to South Australia between 1836 and 1890s

Offline Voirrey M

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 09 May 08 16:39 BST (UK) »
May   1852   no.  48     2  oclock    in   afternoon    sale//  Know   all   men  by   these  presents  that  I   Thomas  Toplis
of  the   Parish   of  LONAN   by   &  with   the   consent   of  Ann  Toplis  otherwise Mylrea-  my  wife  divers  good  causes
and   reasons  us   hereunto  moving  but  chiefly  and  more  especially  for  and  in  consideration of  the  sum  of Seventy   five   Pounds   British  to  us  in  hand  paid  and  satisfied  by  at  and  from  the  hands  of James  Taubman
Brewer  of  the  Parish  of  Ballaugh the  receipt  whereof  we  hereby   acknowledge.  Have Given Granted  Bargained
alienated  and  sold  by  these  presents do  Give Grant  Bargain  alienate  and  forever  absolutely  sell   unto  said  James
Taubman his   Heirs  and  assigns  all   and   singular  the  one  fourth part or  share  of  that  Brewery  Houses offices  and
concerns situate  in  Laxey  in the  Parish of  Lonan  it being  the whole  concern  belonging  to  the late  Henry  Taubman
situate there.  To   Have  &  to  Hold  the  one  fourth  part  or  my  share of   said  Brewery  Houses offices  and  concerns
with  all  and  every  its  ways  waters  watercourses  easements   liberties  rights  members  and  appurtenances  to   the
same  belonging or  in  any   way  appertaining  unto  the   said  James  Taubman His  Heirs  and  assigns  commencing
from  the  day  of  the  date  here  for  ever  as  aforesaid.  He  the  said  James  Taubman  his  Heirs  and   assigns. cont.

Offline Voirrey M

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 09 May 08 16:53 BST (UK) »
cont. paying  and  performing the  Lords  Rent  and  all  boonsuits  and   services   annually   incumbent  on   these  sold
premises   and   I   the  said Thomas  Toplis  and  Ann  Toplis  my   wife  hereby  bind  ourselves  and  out   Heirs  Exori ?
ans  assigns  to  keep  maintain  &  uphold the  said  James  Taubman his  Heirs and  assigns  in  the  peaceable  possession of  the said  premises  against  the  pretended  right  title  claim  challenge or  demand of   any   person  or  persons  whomsoever  and  for  the  true  and  faithful performance  of  all  and  singular  deed of  sale I the  said  Thomas
Toplis and  Ann  Topliss  my  said  wife  hereby  bind  and  oblige  ourselves our  Heirs  Exori ad  inrs  and   assigns in  and  under  the  penalty  and  forfeiture of one  Hundred  and  Fifty  Pounds  British  to  be  levied and  paid  according  to  Law.
As   witness  our  subscriptions  this the sixth  day of  June 1837  signed  and  delivered in  presence of
Thos.  Quayle  //  Mary   Taubman                       Thomas   Topliss   //    Anne   Topliss 

[all  signed   their  own  names]

Offline Voirrey M

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 09 May 08 17:02 BST (UK) »
At   Douglas  27   May  1852
Mary  Taubman of   the  parish  of   Ballaugh  one  of   the  witnesses  to the  foregoing  deed   of  sale  who is   personally  known  to   me  made  oath on  the  Holy  Evangelists  that  Thomas  Topliss  and  Anne  Topliss  the  executing  parties thereto  duly  signed  the  same in   the  presence  of     ?   and   Thos.  Quayle  the  other  witness.   Before  me
J   C   Bluett  ?
Register  office 27  may  1852   I  certify  that  the  foregoing  deed   was  this  day  at  the  hour of two oclock
afternoon.
Received by  me  at   this  office  for  the purpose  of  being  Registered  and   Recorded   according  to   Law  and  that
the same  is  Entered  in  the   Requisition  Book  2  page  381 no. 3046

Watts  Dep.  Reg.

Offline Voirrey M

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 09 May 08 17:16 BST (UK) »
As   there  was  apparently  only  one  brewery  in   Laxey   on   the   northern  valley  side  of  the  Laxey  River  at 
MInorca  at   least  it  was   there  in  late  19c  this   may  have  been  site  of   Topliss  brewery.   Of  course  you
don't   know  if   the   Topliss  family  owned  it  while  Hannah   lived   here.

The   sale  price  was  in   British  pounds  which   were  worth   more  than  Manx  pounds.   At   this  time   most
Manx  land   was   not   freehold   land   rent   was   due   to  someone  or   other.

This    seems   to   be   all  info.  I  can   find.    A   friend  from another   board   is  going   to   Lonan  to  take  pictures
of  gravestones/  not   a  professional    /  just   a  keen   researcher   who   seems  to  do   it   for  free---next
week.   If   you  want   a  picture  of  the  only  Topliss   stone   plus   church   let  me   know.  Voirrey

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 09 May 08 20:29 BST (UK) »
thomas + son Wm Toplis were concerned with Laxey Paper mill (site now occupied by MER power house/depot at Laxey - near bridge - see www.manxnotebook.com where there are several refs to toplis) - 2 or 3 pages in vol2 of Cubbon's bibliography deal with the papermill side + the warehouse on north quay Douglas - family well covered in igi - Laxey is in Lonan parish.
Hannah is d/o thomas toplis + sarah travis (marriage not on island), possibly his second marriage was to Ann Mylrea in Lonan  - son Wm married in Lonan to Janet Brown

Have added a page to my website - see http://www.manxnotebook.com/people/printers/wwalker.htm

Added marriage of Hannah - Braddan 1840-10-14 - 3 children at least last in 1844 on Island - in 1841c census in Braddan at Leece Lodge just outside Srang
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline Voirrey M

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 10 May 08 19:31 BST (UK) »
Marriage  at   Old  Kirk  Braddan .   "Thomas   Gilbertson  Bach.  and   Hannah  Toplis  Spinster  of  this  Parish  were
married  in  this  church  by   Licence  this  14th  of  Oct.1840  by   me   Robt.  Brown
This   marriage   was   solemnized   between  us  Thos.  Gilbertson/   Hannah  Gilbertson  late  Toplis
In   presence  of   Wm.  Callow/   James   Corran /   Mary   Taubman

[All   signed   their   names]

Livia   Do   you  have  access  to   1841  census  held   6/7   June   or   do   you  need  the  details  posting ?

Offline Voirrey M

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 10 May 08 19:37 BST (UK) »
Baptisms  at  Old   Kirk   Braddan  [  church   still  stands  near   modern   one]

!841   "Thomas   son   of   Thos.   Gilbertson    and  Hannah   Toplace     March  14th."

1842  "    Hannah   dr.  of   Thomas   Gilbertson    and   Hannah   Toplis   his   wife     baptised   Nov.  14th  "

1844 "   John   son   of   Thomas   Gilbertson   and  Hannah   Toplace    1st   Aug.

Offline livia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 11 May 08 02:42 BST (UK) »
So much fascinating information - thank you both so much. Census details would be appreciated. I have looked at the Old Kirk Braddan on a couple of web sites. It was Hannah and Thomas's son Joseph who was the founder of my branch of the Gilbertsons in Australia, and his brother Thomas also came here. They both owned a lot of land and were quite prosperous, but the wealth was diluted over the generations because they had large families.
Most gratefully
Livia
Gilbertson (Burnley Lancs)
Maddison (Durham)
Snell (Cornwall)
Lamb (Nottinghamshire)
Simpson (Glasgow)
Topliss (Isle of Man)
Clonan (or Cloonan), Bennett (or Bent) (Westmeath Ireland)
all migrated to South Australia between 1836 and 1890s