Author Topic: Cursey Kearsey or Kersey, Lost family  (Read 7341 times)

Offline Suse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Cursey Kearsey or Kersey, Lost family
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 06 September 08 23:32 BST (UK) »
I may not be able to help much but am researching the family of a friend: her great great grandfather was James B Kersey, father of your Charles Kersey...her great grandfather stayed in the areas and became a greengrocer and fishmonger living in West Ham ..RgdsSuse

Offline PeterY

• I am sorry my email address is not working.
  • RootsChat Member
  • Happy Hunting
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 11 September 08 12:45 BST (UK) »
Hi

Joolsbaar:-  I have Charles and Mary as Marrying on 13 Oct 1874.  You say Dec.  Mine came from a family chart, but I am worried now it might be wrong.  Where did you get your info from?

Suse:-  I have James Bengamin K(C)earsy being born 15/01/1881 son of Charles and Mary Tookey.  You said James B was Charles father.  Did you mean that? There are so many James.
Charles father was James Kearsey married to Mary Wood
Charles brother was also James M to Eliza Cooke
Does this help?

PeterY
Young, Carbis, Quirk, Stark, Francis, Wise, Lewis, Hammond, Burr, Chard, Thomas, Stew, Davies, Hobbs, Jewell Southard, Williams

Offline joolesbarr

• I am sorry but my email address is not working at the moment.
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 11 September 08 13:09 BST (UK) »
hello peter
 The marriage info - I found the marriage on freebmd.org.uk - it has the marriage dated in the quarter of Dec 1874 (Dec, Jan or Feb), the only way to be really sure is to order the certificate - the details are Dec 1874 in the district of Rochford index number 4a 381.

Chenery, Eastley, Bennellick, Easton, Puddicombe, Hearn, Madge, Kennard, Scrivener, Davy, Meen, Cook, Salter, Turner, Jewell, Crossman, Moore, Collacott, Lockyer, Beer, Sellek, Fley, Retter, Widger, Rowden, Snell, Light

Offline PeterY

• RootsChat Member
  • Happy Hunting
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 11 September 08 13:42 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thanks Joolesbaar
The Dec Qtr includes Oct, Nov, Dec so 13th Oct would come under that, but I did not know it was in the Rochford  district so that help.
Many thank
PeterY
Young, Carbis, Quirk, Stark, Francis, Wise, Lewis, Hammond, Burr, Chard, Thomas, Stew, Davies, Hobbs, Jewell Southard, Williams

Offline Suse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 08 January 09 23:00 GMT (UK) »
Now have dome more research (and info provided to me) James benjamin Kersey (but spelt different ways) m to Elizabeth (Eliza) Cook, his father being James Kearsey a farmer (b. 1796) m to Mary Wood (b.c.1800) his father in turn Thomas (now spelt) Casey b. 1760 m to ann Smith b. 1760 Essex.
Suse

Offline PeterY

• RootsChat Member
  • Happy Hunting
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 09 January 09 20:15 GMT (UK) »
MUM 44
Happy New year
Sorry to be absent (Health problems)
Walter Robert Keasey was listed as a boarder to Charles and Mary in 1881 cencus
Hope this helps
BFN
PeterY

Offline PeterY

• RootsChat Member
  • Happy Hunting
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 09 January 09 20:29 GMT (UK) »
Suse

Happy new year.  Apologies as previous

Yes I have James B Kearsey and Eliza in the 1881 census.

Dwelling:   The Common
   Census Place:   Thundersley, Essex, England
   Source:   FHL Film 1341426     PRO Ref RG11    Piece 1768    Folio 59    Page 5
   Marr   Age   Sex   Birthplace
James B. KEARSEY   M   62    M   Fingringhoe, Essex, England
   Rel:   Head
   Occ:   Ag Lab
Eliza KEARSEY   M   58    F   Thundersley, Essex, England
   Rel:   Wife
   Occ:   Ag Lab Wife
Herbert J. KEARSEY       12    M   Thundersley, Essex, England
   Rel:   Son
   Occ:   Ag Lab
Esther KEARSEY       2    F   Cliff, Kent, England
   Rel:   G Daur

Offline conga

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 18 June 09 23:15 BST (UK) »
Hi   I am very glad to see so much interest in the Kersey/Kearsey family.   I am a descendant of Joseph William Kearsey, son of James Benjamin.   My research spans almost 40 years, it wasn't easy in the past.
However, if you are still looking I have a wealth of information on these familys.   For instance, three sons of James Benjamin married three Tookey sisters and subsequently moved from Thundersley to Cliffe in Kent.

I have a Thundersley wedding group photo that probably dates 1874, the first Kersey/Tookey marriage.   All three couples and others are there.

This seemed to re-inforce the Cliffe side and for some reason a rift set in between the children of James Benjamin, so much that some deliberately spelt their name different.

When the West Ham side visited the Cliffe side they hid.

Kersey might not be the original name, it might be Casey, from Fingrinhoe.

If you have any queries please ask

Offline PeterY

• RootsChat Member
  • Happy Hunting
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 19 June 09 21:51 BST (UK) »
Hi

You caught me out a bit as I have had so many enquires relating  to my tree as it is 11500 individuals strong and I had to think of who the Kearsey were.

Now my mother used to say they were spelt Cursey and another said this, but I have also been informed the name changed quite a bit in spelling as well as actual name.

My mother's brother was William Arnold Francis b 1829 Mountain Ash, South Wales and he married Winifred Agnes Cursey b 1905 West Ham Died 1980 Romford.  She was dau of Arthur Curseyb 1886 Cliffe, Kent and Ann Gilmore b 1878 Great Warely, Essex.
Arthur was son of Charles Cursey and Mary Tookey both of Thundersley.

By the sound of it the photo is of their wedding and if possible I would love a copy and if you can supply one you could send it to (*) if it would be better for you.
I can supply a gedcom of my tree if you want or you can see in on Ancestry.co.uk or GenesReunited.co.uk which I find a fantastic site.
Please let me know.

I am always willing to share whatever I have which is mostly data with anyone though I am trying to collate and include a load of photos related to my tree.  The trouble with a large tree is I am getting lots of people contacting me wanting to know info and how I relate to them. The later can be a nightmare to work of with second marriages etc involved.
I will contact you again soon.

BFN

PeterY

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php