Author Topic: David Balharry - Scotland to Chile  (Read 17525 times)

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: David Balharry - Scotland to Chile
« Reply #45 on: Friday 16 May 08 01:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Lass,

Fascinating!

But ...  It's one of those (relatively new) infuriating 'I' batches which give no Source information whatsoever  >:(

A strange batch - only 244 entries, all females, earliest 1762 and latest 1874.

I had a look in the Family History Library catalogue on FamilySearch for holdings relating to St Marylebone (Marylebone).  The most likely looks to be the following:
Church records (register of baptisms), 1753-1874, Scotts Presbyterian Church (Marylebone, England).

A search for BALHARY on FreeBMD gets only 3 hits (1839, 1841, 1845) including:
Jane BALHARY, birth, March quarter 1839, Westminster, Volume 1, page 334

It might be worth getting that certificate?

Regards,

JAP

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Friday 16 May 08 01:30 BST (UK) »
Just for completeness - the 1841 entry is the birth of a female BALHARY, and the 1845 entry is the death of an Andrew BALHARY.

An Andrew BALHARY, 40, is in the 1841 in Streatham Surrey with wife Christian 45 and daughter Elizabeth 10 - Andrew & Christian b Scotland, Elizabeth b Surrey.

This is surely the Andrew who died in 1845 as, in 1851, Christian BALHARY is still in Streatham, a 55yo widow born Edinburgh, with unmarried daughter Elizabeth 18, plus Christian's sister Agnes PORTEOUS and a servant - HO107/Piece 1579/Folio 431, Page 23.

JAP

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Saturday 17 May 08 00:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Lass and JAP!
Wow Lass! That was a GOOD find - amazing stick-to-it-ivness on your part..

and WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!
I'm dancing - I'm dancing!

1841: Marshman Street - Parish of St John the Evangalist, City of Westminster, Middlesex
David BALHAREY 30, Cabinet Maker, b Scotland
Margaret BALHAREY 30 - b Scotland
David BALHAREY 5 - b Scotland
Jane BALHAREY 2 - b Middlesex
Margaret BALHAREY 1 mth - b Middlesex
HO107/ Piece 737/ Book: 7/ Folio: 5/ Pg 5

Name could look like BALKAREY I suppose, but clearly, undeniably it is BALHAREY!!

So gap between David and Jane - maybe they had a little one who died.
And maybe Adam was theirs still, and for whatever reason was still up in Scotland.

Cheers  ;D  ;D
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Saturday 17 May 08 00:32 BST (UK) »
Still Dancing!

BIRTH: Female BALHURY or BALHARY  - Jun Qtr 1841 - Westminster ST Margaret - Vol 1, pg 387
(this must be Margaret - it's indexed twice)

Cheers  :D
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline Lass

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Saturday 17 May 08 00:56 BST (UK) »
AMBLY   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Well done, bliddy well done you marvellous, marvellous creature!!!!!!!!  I swear I thought I'd tried every imagineable variation on the spelling, but you've cracked it!! 

WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO!!!!

I'm sooooo pleased to see they were still in the country at that point, and especially delighted that it's evident  David jnr was indeed born in Scotland :D  I'd better let Maria know not to go pouring over Chilean baptism records trying to find him!!!!

AMBLY, you commented on my stick-to-it-ivness, but as far as I'm concerned, you take the Gold Medal!!  Thank you thank you thank you a million times over!!

I'll keep you updated with any other peaches that come back from Chilean records!  And I'm off to hunt down David jnr's birth/baptism records again, now that I know he was definitely in the UK!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Lass x

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Saturday 17 May 08 02:01 BST (UK) »
AMBLY and Lass, that's absolutely brilliant!

JAP

Offline Lass

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday 20 May 08 22:01 BST (UK) »
Nothing to report from Chile yet I'm afraid.  I've also pm'd one of the members here who has an interest in the Jaffrey name in the hope that she might have a snippet that would help.

However, out of interest, I thought I'd share a reply I received on another forum regarding the route our guys may have taken to Chile.

http://www.britishempire.co.uk/maproom/pinkbitstrade.htm  is a good map showing trade routes. It looks like you could hop a boat in London and zip right down to Chile and the Straits of Magellan (which Chile gained control of in 1843).

Lass x

Offline Lass

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday 20 May 08 23:26 BST (UK) »
After a chat with genjen, she's hit on a little shiny nugget of info that I'm pretty sure belongs to us!!(I'm still miffed that I didn't find it, hours I tell you, I spent hours trawling those bliddy records!! ;)) Thank you again genjen for your find!

New York Passenger List

Adam Bulhary

arrived New York 12th August 1857

aged 22  born about 1835

listed as Irish

Labourer

Arrived aboard the Henry Clay from Liverpool, England

Now whilst I know perfectly well that our Adam isn't Irish, I'm fairly certain that this is our chap.  The recording of being Irish is dittoed from the preceding entries and I would suggest not the first time this error/assumption has been made about a Scot, especially when he's travelling with a lot of Irish and English passengers.

What are your thoughts on this??

Lass x

Offline Lass

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday 20 May 08 23:33 BST (UK) »
Incidentally, I've checked LDS and can't find any entries under Bulhary and variations, and nothing so it's not a 'popular' Irish name.

While I'm on the subject, I was looking through Rootschat earlier when I was at work and came across a great link.  It had a search function that linked in to LDS, but what I liked was the fact that it was searchable by christian name and county - anyone know offhand what site it was, or do I need to trawl the site again?  (I did email the link to myself from work, but it hasn't arrived at home yet  ::))

Lass x