Author Topic: David Balharry - Scotland to Chile  (Read 17523 times)

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: David Balharry - Scotland to Chile
« Reply #54 on: Wednesday 21 May 08 00:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Lass

I think it will be this site
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers.htm

Ohhh! More exciting news  ;D Adam does look good on it!  I'm miffed too as I looked till I was crosseyed as well  ::)  ::) but well done gengen!  ;D  ;D

On the subject of passage to Chile - I've been pondering this one, as there were many ways to get to Chile, one being thru the Strait. But I think at that time, many ships would have gone round the Horn - a treacherous journery - the waters around the Falklands for example are liittered with shipwrecks of those that did not make it, and the Falklands was also a key place for ships to put in for repair, salvage etc.  If they came round the Horn or thru the Strait, they could have disembarked in Punta Arenas.

Other ships came the other way, from the antipodes to Valparaiso Santiago, Concepcion, often stopping in the Antipodes on the way. Then then there is the option of going into Uruguay or Argentina and going overland to Chile.

I've been thinking, David Snr, going by his occupation , he could have been recruited for the specific job in Chile - perhaps he answered an advertisment....many English and Scottish tradesman answered these calls - for skilled trades and for shepherding to South America. It may be an angle to follow, to try and acertain which part of the rail line he or his osn worked on, and from there to find the company, their agents and the ships they chartered to bring their crews in on? Also, chances are his was not the only family who came on the same ship at the same time for the same job. If you can't find the BALHARRY's, you might just be able to find another family - whose family has put a genealogy on the web. Because the key to finding them at their earliest in Chile is to locate the place they would have lived and then the church they would have had their children baptised in - ie: Benjamin circa 1849? 

https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Chile_Church_Records?title=Special:Userlogin&type=signup&returnto=Chile_Church_Records

Interesting links for Rail:
http://www.tramz.com/cl/tto/0Ma.html
http://www.tramz.com/cl/tto/b.html

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Wednesday 21 May 08 02:53 BST (UK) »
1. Great great find!

2. You can search the IGI on FamilySearch by given name and country.

For instance, you can do searches for
- given name Adam, region British Isles, country Scotland, county Angus
- given name Adam, region South America, country Chile
In such searches, you can even specify an event, and a time period.

However, if you want to tick exact spelling for the given name, then all you can specify is the region.

3. When, a while ago, I quoted a reference to Valparaiso often being a port on the way from England to San Francisco, I thought of ships going down across the Atlantic, rounding the Horn (though I guess they might have gone through the Straits of Magellan) and then up the West coast of the Americas.  But, as AMBLY says, there were many ways someone from the UK could have travelled to Chile.

It's great the way things keep turning up!

JAP

Offline Lass

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday 21 May 08 14:01 BST (UK) »
 ;D

I'm glad we appear to have traced Adam, I was concerned as to what had happened to him after Jean's death in 1845.  Now I wonder if his arrival in New York was independent, or whether he was on his way back to his family in Chile.....

Thanks Ambly for those great links, looks like there's a lot of info on the rail companies there so hopefully following them might lead to some fresh information.  I'm willing to bet you're right about David snr being recruited specifically for working on the railway, and since he would appear to have been in England for a few years before moving on to Chile, I dare say it's even more viable.

JAP, I find I can't search on Family Search using first name and county/town without being asked to put in the fathers/mothers name.  AMBLY that seems a good search link, but it's not the one I was using!! I'll trawl and let you know, just to share, when I find it.

I dare say there's a variety of different ways for the family to get to Chile, I'd just been thinking along the lines of checking American port records for them on the assumption that they'd have had to stop in the US on route, but perhaps not.  AMBLY the family are now in the Valparaiso/Concepcion/Santiago area of Chile so if I had to hazard a guess, I'd say that's where they may have come in to the country in the first place.  Aren't guesses wonderful things??  ;D

I do wish I'd get some more information through from Chile, but patience was never my strong point, maybe a timely update from me will give them a wee push  ;)

Lass x

Offline Lass

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday 21 May 08 14:40 BST (UK) »
Thought I'd share - the link I was using was

http://www.originsnetwork.com/scotsorigins/SOSearchBC.aspx

The only reason I find this handy, is that with all the variations in spelling of the surname, it's easier for me to search using the first name and go through all the counties/districts.  That way I don't need to keep track of all the variations I've check for each individual county and district!!  Saves me a lot of time and a quick scan over the resulting IGI records is much quicker and easier for me.  ;D

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday 21 May 08 19:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Lass

Ahhh!!  Thanks for that link- I had forgotten entirely about that one and not used it for years - you're right it's very handy, have bookmarked it  ;D

The one I gave, I use  to establish batch numbers of the parish I want. Then I go to the IGI site seperately and put in that batch number, with the area (Scotland), Then one can search the same way - ie: search for all David's born to parents named David and Margaret,  all children with parents named David & Margaret etc etc. I guess at the end of the day, both are doing the same thing... but I like your one better now;D

I wondered if they moved away from Angus after their marriage, perhaps for work reasons - I thought Perthshire may also be a place to look for the births of Adam (regardless of he's theirs or not)  and David.....

Do you already have this link?
http://www.bisa.btinternet.co.uk/mainbody.htm

Cheers  ;D
AMBLY

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday 21 May 08 19:50 BST (UK) »
OH MY GOSH
LASS ----SIT DOWN STAND UP before you go here: (all the better for dancing!)

http://www.geocities.com/heartland/Park/7572/geor1842.txt

I just googled Adam Balhary - no place no quotes, just that AND LOOK WHAT I FOUND

BINGO!  Passenger List. 1842. God loves a Googler. The Answer to the Universe is in Google.

WOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AMBLY is dancin' , is dancin.  is dancin'  ;D  ;D  ;D

Offline Lass

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Wednesday 21 May 08 22:01 BST (UK) »
OH MY GOD, AMBLY I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I just cannot BELIEVE that we've been doing all this checking through records, and low and behold, a simple google search delivers the goods!!!!!!!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO   ;D ;D ;D

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO   ;D ;D ;D

I really can't thank you enough AMBLY, you've made my day, week, month, YEAR!!!

I'm so excited, I need to go and dance around the house!!!!!!!!   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

And again, WOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

love and kisses and hugs and dance, dance, dance

Lass x

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Thursday 22 May 08 00:59 BST (UK) »
AMBLY, Another absolutely brilliant find.  Congratulations!!

Just for completeness (though this pales into utter insignificance alongside AMBLY's find  :'( ) ...

;D
JAP, I find I can't search on Family Search using first name and county/town without being asked to put in the fathers/mothers name.  ...
Lass, Would I lie to you? ;D 
Truly, you can search just as I described.
Were you perhaps trying the "All Resources" search on FamilySearch?  That doesn't work - one can search there by surname only plus country etc but not by given name only.

Give it another go but in the IGI.

As I mentioned above (emphasis added):
"2. You can search the IGI on FamilySearch by given name and country.

For instance, you can do searches for
- given name Adam, region British Isles, country Scotland, county Angus
- given name Adam, region South America, country Chile
In such searches, you can even specify an event, and a time period.

However, if you want to tick exact spelling for the given name, then all you can specify is the region."

Incidentally, 'given name only' searches can also be carried out in the Census, US SSDI, and Vital Records Index sections of FamilySearch.

Cheers,

JAP

Offline Lass

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Thursday 22 May 08 12:14 BST (UK) »
JAP

Thanks for clarifying that, I think I may well have been using the All Resources search at the time  ::)  I'll blame it on the excitement  ;D  Please be assured that everything you do to help me is seriously appreciated - the great finds are fabulous and I'm forever indebted to AMBLY but this is good, it means I can trawl through the records in a much easier fashion (for me anyhow) and when that helps me find some missing pieces, I'll have you to thank JAP!

Now I've had time to calm down slightly (and I mean only slightly!!) I notice that baby Margaret isn't with the family and may have died before they left, which is such a shame.  However, that then does then suggest that my Chilean cousins 'David arrived with his sister'  assertion points to Jane as being the elusive sister.  The jigsaw is coming together!

I haven't had any communication at all with Chile for a while now, but I'm in the middle of an update email to them to confirm the details AMBLY has turned up.

For what it's worth, I tried a google search on Adam and came up with zip (other than this thread!!!) ....... are you in NZ AMBLY, is this why you got a hit?

I'm still grinning from ear to ear, I'm sure my work mates wonder what I've been up to  ;)

Lass x