Author Topic: Newspaper report, Bridgend  (Read 11976 times)

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Newspaper report, Bridgend
« Reply #27 on: Monday 07 February 11 00:05 GMT (UK) »
I'm pleased that you finally have the newspaper report  :D

Funerals in South Wales were often "Gentlemen Only" although this has become less frequent over the past decade or so. I have attended some funerals where it was gentlemen only at the graveside but everyone at the service so perhaps it's the increasing number of Cremations that has caused the change.

Offline dlareg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 13 March 11 15:11 GMT (UK) »
hello,
 i have just joined, the golden mile you refer to, is a sretch of the A48 just outside bridgend going toward cardiff. traditionally its start point was a cafe,now a chinese restaurant it is a sraight-ish hill
i hope this of help.
 gerald jarvis

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 13 March 11 15:27 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou Gerald, I hope to visit this little area in the summer. Thanks for your help.
Casaubon (Geneva, London), Daulinge, Berners, McMullen (Nottingham), Tabb (Leics), Mycock (Derbys & Staffs), Gilbert (Notts), Price (s Wales), Krilovs/similar, gypsy Roberts, gypsy Clark, Bexell (Sussex), gypsy Elliott, Raven, Neligan (Co Kerry), Rymer, Newton (Hull).

Offline jtom

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 29 April 22 19:47 BST (UK) »
Hi You mention that Samson had recently bought a cinema was that in Aberkenfig if so where did you get that information, as i am researching Aberkenfig cinemas
Regards jtom

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 11 January 23 12:47 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I never realised you’d messaged, this is solid info passed down in the family , every line and branch tells of it. I have a note from my granny’s cousin saying which cinema it is.
Casaubon (Geneva, London), Daulinge, Berners, McMullen (Nottingham), Tabb (Leics), Mycock (Derbys & Staffs), Gilbert (Notts), Price (s Wales), Krilovs/similar, gypsy Roberts, gypsy Clark, Bexell (Sussex), gypsy Elliott, Raven, Neligan (Co Kerry), Rymer, Newton (Hull).

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 12 January 23 14:02 GMT (UK) »
When these old posts pop up again it's an opportunity to check what fresh information may have come on line in the meantime. Did you decide on a location for the "golden mile".  As I said in post #21, I understood the "golden mile" to run from Waterton Cross to the turning to Corntown at what I used to know as the "bottom of Crack Hill".

There's a motoring court case in the Glamorgan Gazette, 8 July 1927, which begins -
"Many people speak of the Cowbridge Road, from the Barry railway bridge to the bottom of Crack Hill, as the "golden mile", but as has oftentimes been pointed out in this column, this is wrong". I take the Barry railway bridge to be the bridge that crosses Cowbridge Road just before it hits Waterton Cross see  https://maps.nls.uk/view/102183681

The Chairman of the Court, a Col. J I D Nicholl, J.P., took issue with this and remarked -
"It is not the Golden Mile. The Golden Mile is from the top of the hill to Pentremeyrick". This is supported by a more recent assertion in "The Legend of the Golden Mile"
https://glamorganstar.co.uk/the-legend-of-the-golden-mile/
but it does recognise that opinions are divided.

You can see "Golden Mile" on this map  https://maps.nls.uk/view/102183708
This was the site of the Golden Mile Barrow find/excavation, also referred to as "Twmpath".

So, given the confusion that appears to have reigned even at that time, which Golden Mile was the person who reported the "dray race" accident thinking of?

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 14 January 23 12:29 GMT (UK) »
Would love to give an exact location but the lady who mentioned the Golden mile  has passed away and I’ve only visited Aberkenfig once. I don’t think it will make any difference knowing the location now.

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 14 January 23 14:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the response. As a result of checking out the "Golden Mile", including the origin of the name, I now agree with Colonel Nicholl (post #32) that it ran from the top of Crack Hill to Pentremeyrick.

regards