Author Topic: Really Stuck.... 6 months now... HOGG/JEFFREY marriage...  (Read 9627 times)

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Really Stuck.... 6 months now... HOGG/JEFFREY marriage...
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 10 May 08 14:47 BST (UK) »
as there is a son who was born 1888.... who I also cant find birth details for. Tx

John Hogg - birth registration June qtr 1888 Berwick Reg Dist 10b 419
I think that this place of birth ties in with the census information doesn't it

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline *sparkle*

• I has chosen not to receive notifications of new replies
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 10 May 08 15:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Ive done quite a lot of looking into that John Hogg, and the birth record would tie in lovely with the census info but his birth date I'm sure was 12 Aug 1888, and its definitely not him as Ive already checked :( Long story (on a couple of other threads) but in his war record he was John Hogg Smith which then makes you look at the John Smiths and an illegitimate birth....)       

Anyway I'm worrying about his parents at the mo as resolving their marriage details if possible will help me resolve things on John Hogg (btw I'm slightly John Hogg obsessed at the moment and need to find out what he was doing between 1901 and 1912...  ;) )

Anyway, Ive compiled a letter to the records office :) 
And sent off for Mary's certificate...  just have to wait now  :)

Thanks!

Tx                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             

Offline *sparkle*

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 20 May 08 10:17 BST (UK) »
More news.....

The BMD reference for Mary Hogg is correct and now Ive seen her birth date it reminded me that her birthday was just after Christmas!! It has Alexander Hogg listed as a paper mill labourer and they lived at High Street, Jarrow.

Unfortunately the BMD index for the marriage of Alexander Hogg in 1886 is not to Agnes Jeffrey, so my search goes on. I've asked more questions about a possible missing entry to the South Tyneside registrar, but apart from that I am at a loss what to do next.....

Any suggestions are welcomed :-)

Thanks
Tx

Offline *sparkle*

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 20 May 08 10:19 BST (UK) »

John Hogg - birth registration June qtr 1888 Berwick Reg Dist 10b 419
I think that this place of birth ties in with the census information doesn't it

Rosie

Thanks Rosie, it does tie perfectly but that John Hogg died in his infancy :(

Tx

Offline mshrmh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 20 May 08 12:14 BST (UK) »
Hi sparkle - you're certainly trying all avenues!
If the South Tyneside registrar doesn't turn up the marriage, I'd wonder if they did marry.....

If the date was first quoted was soon after the "marriage" and that marriage can't be traced, then I'd suggest it was a fabrication as you've considered. If the date was first quoted some years later I'd wonder if the day & month were accurate, but the year had been "moved" forward for "respectability".

Suggestions, therefore, would be to look for a later marriage (upto the first death). I'd also look for any evidence of an earlier marriage for either party, where the spouse was still alive to prevent a legal marriage between Agnes & Alexander.

Offline *sparkle*

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 20 May 08 13:26 BST (UK) »
Good thinking Mshrmh :)

I'll try the years up until the marriage date is quoted on a certificate.

Both Agnes and Alexander were illegitimate so I'm wondering if that was why they may have fabricated the marriage.... seems a shame if they did as they were together until they were elderly!

Heres a picture so you know who we are talking about :) They are the couple on the left.

Tx

Offline mshrmh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 20 May 08 15:55 BST (UK) »
Great family pic, sparkle! Agnes reminds me of someone in one of my old photos - I'll have to have a dig & see who - someone "before my time" as they say.

Hope your hunt turns up something!

Offline *sparkle*

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 21 May 08 19:06 BST (UK) »
Looks like it was a fabrication.... nothing from the register office although I got a lovely reply from them.... and nothing turning up with the alternative dates and locations....

Think its time to accept that they probably didn't marry and move on... at least I have their birth details etc . Thanks for everyones help! :)

Tx