Author Topic: Can anyone read this placename in Boharm parish?!  (Read 6365 times)

Offline GDub71

• RootsChat Member
  • Miaow¬
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone read this placename in Boharm parish?!
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 08 April 10 12:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Prue,

Just saw this and wondered what your interest was... Hugh Calder and Margaret Moir are my ancestors. Are you likewise a descendant?
Banffshire - WILSON, RIACH, CALDER, MUIRY, PETERKIN, CRAIB, OGG, CRUICKSHANK, FARQUHAR, COPLAND, HAY, SHAW, HIND, STRATHDEE, MORRISON, WISEMAN, MOIR, MILNE, SHEPHERD, BLACK, BRUCE, RAMSAY, PEARSON, MCPHERSON, SHEED, MCANDIE
Morayshire - MAVER, RAMSAY, PHINN, SIMPSON
Aberdeenshire - MCINTOSH, GILLAN
Kincardineshire - DUTHIE
Ross-shire - MCANGUS, MCKENZIE, TARRELL,
Inverness-shire - MACKAY, FERGUSON, MACCUISH, BEATON, GILLIES, MACDONALD, MACVICAR, MACDIARMID
Louth - KIERAN, KANE, ENGLISHBY, FEGAN

Offline lasochd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 10 April 10 22:38 BST (UK) »
It looks like Starryhow which is at 57:34:02N 3:03:57W and can be found on http://geo.nls.uk/os6inch   I dont think there is a building there now although I know the nearest places on the map, Knowhead and Soundmoor have modern houses there but I don't even think there is a ruin where Starryhow was.

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 10 April 10 22:55 BST (UK) »
thank you, lasochd  :)  I don't think it says "Starryhow" but you never know with this old writing  ;)  I never remember to look at the NLS maps site, so thank you for providing the link and reminding me of it!

Hi GDub71 :)

My husband (along with hundreds of others if you search the web!) is descended from this couple, through their descendants the Strathdees, who come into the picture about a century later.

Offline GDub71

• RootsChat Member
  • Miaow¬
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 11 April 10 12:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Prue M,

I'd like to see the connection to the Strathdee family as my wife is descended from Strathdees and I've already done a great deal of reaearch on that family, which as you say were prolific child producers. Also, which of Hugh's children is your husband descended from?
Banffshire - WILSON, RIACH, CALDER, MUIRY, PETERKIN, CRAIB, OGG, CRUICKSHANK, FARQUHAR, COPLAND, HAY, SHAW, HIND, STRATHDEE, MORRISON, WISEMAN, MOIR, MILNE, SHEPHERD, BLACK, BRUCE, RAMSAY, PEARSON, MCPHERSON, SHEED, MCANDIE
Morayshire - MAVER, RAMSAY, PHINN, SIMPSON
Aberdeenshire - MCINTOSH, GILLAN
Kincardineshire - DUTHIE
Ross-shire - MCANGUS, MCKENZIE, TARRELL,
Inverness-shire - MACKAY, FERGUSON, MACCUISH, BEATON, GILLIES, MACDONALD, MACVICAR, MACDIARMID
Louth - KIERAN, KANE, ENGLISHBY, FEGAN

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 11 April 10 21:31 BST (UK) »
Hi GDub  :)

If you go to my profile, you can click on the link to my family tree website, and view the whole kit and caboodle there  ;) :D

I'd be really pleased if you could let me know if I have anything incorrect, or if you can add to the info I have (which is fairly sparse that far back).

Cheers
Prue

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 14 April 10 21:04 BST (UK) »
Hugh Calder and Margaret Moir seem to have had a largish family, according to the IGI. Have you looked at other baptisms to see where the rest of them were born?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.