Author Topic: WOW  (Read 1764 times)

Offline Inicky

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WOW
« on: Monday 12 May 08 21:18 BST (UK) »
i signed up with ancestry and have found loads of info, im not too great at it yet but im getting there, i did however find an address for my g,g, grandfather the house still stands and i went over there the other day just to look at it (pleased the occupants didnt seem to be in), i was awestruck just to think my ancestors used to walk in and out of that door.  i may go back with my info and knock next time and explain why im there, do you think they might think im crazy, lol, im not, just fascinated by the whole thing,

what would you do if someone knocked on your door and said hello, i just wanted to see where my ancestors lived ?

Offline Mercel

• RootsChat Senior
  • John Robert Forster 1892-1913
    • View Profile
Re: WOW
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 May 08 12:16 BST (UK) »
We have done this already. Our ancestors were land owners in Emley in Yorkshire. The farm is still a working farm. The farmer was very helpful and allowed us to take photos with him and of the property. I think by and all most people would accept you being there, especially if they are helping you find out about your past, you dont have to be that intrusive. Its worth knocking, they might have something to offer.
Mercel
Hepworth - Yorkshire and Durham, <br />Forster, Thompson, Heatherington- Durham, <br />Harkness and Devlin- Glasgow, <br />Bolton and Smiths Sunderland, <br />Galey, Norfolk and Sunderland. <br />Cory - Heacham Norfolk<br />Connelly - Ireland,<br />Carson - Ireland, <br />McKay, Glasgow and Ireland,<br /> Tait,Ireland<br />Turley, Sunderland and Ireland, Devlin Londonderry Ireland, Higgans, londonderry Ireland, Hamilton, Ireland

CENSUS & BMD INFO IS CROWN COPYRIGHT www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hephzibah

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 May 08 17:55 BST (UK) »
My great great grandparents were tenant farmers in Suffolk. I have just had a response to the letter & auction catalogue which I sent to the present owners of the farm asking if I could visit to take photographs - they were thrilled to receive my letter & also the copy of the auction catalogue of when g.g.grandfather retired from farming in 1907. The biggest suprise was that the owner recognised my maiden name:  his father had bought the farm & moved to Suffolk from London in 1920 & had previously been very friendly with one of my now deceased distant cousins in London. We had a long phone conversation about family & I'm hoping to visit next week.
Inicky,  there's only two answers they can give so write, knock or whatever, you never know what information may lie behind the door!!
Hephzibah
PENDAL & variants: Suffolk; Bardwell, Tannington, Weybread, Dennington & Worlingworth
ELLINOR: Suffolk; Redgrave/ Gislingham.
GRAYSTON: Suffolk; Ipswich.
GIRLING: Suffolk; Stradbroke/Ipswich
HAWES: Suffolk; Harkstead/Holbrook/Capel St Mary/Ipswich
BECK: Co Durham; Chopwell & Northumberland; Newcastle upon Tyne.
MILLER: Cumberland; Mawbray/Hayrigg/ Silloth.
FAIRLAM: Co Durham; Allendale Cottages, Low Westwood, Milkwell Burn.
WESTGARTH: Co Durham; Bishop Auckland

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 May 08 21:50 BST (UK) »
I have a similar dilemma and every time I am in Aberdeen I think, " this time I will do it, I'll go and knock on the door". It's not just that my great grandparents lived there, they actually built the house - and the one next door.

I think that if it happened to me, I'd be happy enough to let them in, though I guess we have to be a bit wary and maybe ask for some sort of proof that they were genuine before letting total strangers loose in our homes.

Jen

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson