Author Topic: COMPLETED /1835 Marriage at ST JAMES, PADDINGTON  (Read 5319 times)

Offline anewitt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
COMPLETED /1835 Marriage at ST JAMES, PADDINGTON
« on: Monday 12 May 08 21:59 BST (UK) »
Hello,
Please could somebody help ? I'm seeking details of the Marriage between WILLIAM HILL & ANN ELIZA TETT on 21/10/1835 at St James, Paddington. In particular, the names of the witnesses may prove to be very useful.
Thank you in anticipation.
Kind Regards, Alan.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1835 Marriage at ST JAMES, PADDINGTON
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 May 08 11:06 BST (UK) »
Alan,

St. James' Church was not built until 1843. Your couple would have been married in St. Mary's, Paddington Green. However, the two churches were combined in 1845.

The parish records you seek are held at either the Westminster City Archives or the LMA.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Offline anewitt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 May 08 12:30 BST (UK) »
Hello JustinL,
Many thanks for your reply.
Yes, the London Metropolitan Archives do cover St James, Paddington, Sussex Gardens, Westminster their Ref No X029/005 index X102/064, marriages Jun 1832 - 1836 Dec.
I have used them before for a marriage during this period (£35 minimum charge).
However, I was hopeful that someone may have access to these records, and save me another £35.
Kind regards, Alan.

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 May 08 12:47 BST (UK) »
Rip-off is the term that comes to mind.

Some of my family (three siblings) were baptised there at about the time. The baptisms were recorded in the IGI, but a father was not named.

I contacted the City of Westminster Archives, and they looked at the register and confirmed that the father had not been named. All for free.

Might be worth a try in your case. Doesn't cost anything to ask.

Justin

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 May 08 13:01 BST (UK) »
I have an ancestor who was married at St James Paddington on 15 Jan 1834.

I have a copy of the marriage lines. In the past I have emailed the LMA or Westminster Archives and if the date is known sometimes they will do the look up for less money than that,as it will only take them 15 mins or so.

Dawnsh is doing LMA look ups,plodding her way through some old ones first.

Post a new request on the Middx board and she will pick up on it and add you to her list,if you don't mind waiting?

Carol

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 May 08 22:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan

(Thanks Carol)

As Carol said, I'm currently doing LMA look-ups (see my posts at the tops of the London & Middx boards)

I won't be there now until w/c 2nd June (next week I have prior committments, the week after is half term)

If you're happy to wait and save £30, I'll add you to my look-up list. In your favour you have supplied all the dates, most of the older look-ups I'm doing need a lot of looking for.

Let me know.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 13 May 08 22:37 BST (UK) »
According to my reference books the registers for St James Paddington from 1655 to 1924 have been deposited at the London Metropolitan Archives.  I have an ancestor who was married there in 1828.

A new church was built in 1843 in Sussex Gardens and there seems to be some confusion as to whether the original church which was some 80 yards away was called St James or St Mary's.  The reason for the chaos and building of new churches was that Paddington was split into two firstly by the canal and then in 1838 by the construction of the railway and the terminus staion for GWR.  Originally there was only one church south of the railway Orme chapel, which eventually became St Matthews Church Bayswater.  (where my banns were called)

Before the parish of Paddington was split into two there were two churches St James and St Marys each of which eventually had their own parishes but I can't work out which was which prior to the new building in 1843.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline anewitt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 14 May 08 20:03 BST (UK) »
Hello,
Many Thanks to you all for your replies.
They are much appreciated and I have taken them all on board.
It's a shame that there is some confusion over the Churches.

Yes please Dawnsh, I would like this "Look Up" to be added to your list for whenever you can spare the time.

Kind regards, Alan.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 14 May 08 22:56 BST (UK) »
A potted history is here

http://www.stjamespaddington.org.uk/history/pre-world-war-ii.html

a more wordy version is here

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=22663

Basically, the historic parish of Paddington had a church dedicated to St Mary on Paddington Green, that was rebuilt a couple times (1679 and 1791), but which eventually became too small. When a new larger church was built in 1845 in Westbourne Terrace, (but is now Sussex Gardens) the parish split, the new church was dedicated to St James, St Marys became a chapel but then became a parish again in it's own right, St Mary's Paddington Green, in 1885.

The LMA has Paddington (the records are attributed to St James) baptisms 1655-1914, marriages 1656-1880, and burials 1655-1789 and Paddington (St Mary) baptisms 1845-1906 and burials 1790-1896, no marriages.

Clear as mud  ;D

My family was there in Paddington from 1822 until they moved to St Marylebone in the 1920's, oh the hours of fun I've had working out which records are which.  :-\

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea