Author Topic: Matlock Records Office Lookups  (Read 868 times)

Offline Aks

• RootsChat Senior
  • Photo - Annie Pomeroy
    • View Profile
Matlock Records Office Lookups
« on: Tuesday 13 May 08 18:31 BST (UK) »
Dear Moira,

I happened to see your offer. If you really find yourself with time on your hands, I have the following request :

It is for especially the birth or christening of my ancestor, Martin Farnell, from Coton-in-the-elms, Derbyshire, who according to family sources, was born around 1750 and died around 1815. (These same sources alleged that he was a "squire".) It appears that this would probably be in the parish records for Lullington, as there was no church in Coton-in-the-elms during this period.

I have managed to confirm the information I was given regarding his wife, Frances Mathews, from nearby Edingale,
Staffordshire, born about 1771 (or possibly as late as 1776 according to the 1841 census) and died (as Frances Farnell) in Aston, Warwickshire in 1842. (She also appears on the 1841 census as a woman of independent means.), as well as for their only child, Phoebe, who was born about 1796, for whom I have the marriage and children.

The only possible reference to Martin I have found is from the Derbyshire Lent Assizes 1801, Derby Mercury, Thursday February 12th 1801 - Commitments to the County Gaol (http://yourarchives.nationalarchives.gov.uk/index.php?title=Derbyshire_Lent_Assizes_1801) which includes an entry in which someone from Coton in the Elmes is imprisoned for allegedly having stolen something from Martin Farnell, Esq."

Otherwise, if you don't have time for this, I would appreciate any advice your could give me, based on your experience, as to what records I would need to look at if I manage to go there at some point, and how long it might take to find the information.

Many, many thanks.

Alan

Sillitoe, Froude, Partington, Rochford

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk