Author Topic: 42 Magpie Hall Road, Chatham ..... Hospital?  (Read 22881 times)

Offline julia.julibob

• RootsChat Extra
  • Nanny with her mum Maud Amos/Golby
    • View Profile
42 Magpie Hall Road, Chatham ..... Hospital?
« on: Thursday 15 May 08 22:08 BST (UK) »
I am researching my family tree, and have just received my Great Aunts death cert. She died of TB on 15 Jan 1944 at "42 Magpie Hall Road", Chatham, was the wife of a soldier, but actually lived in Charing, West Ashford!

The National Archives Hospital Records Database has confused me as it lists 42 Magpie Hall Road as "General Hospital" formerly "Fort Pitt", a military and general hospital which opened in 1805 and closed in 1948.

They also have 42 Magpie Hall Road listed on a different page as "All Saints Hospital" formerly "Medway Union Workhouse" founded c 1835.

How confusing!!!!

I was hoping that someone may have some more accurate information on the address and its purpose, and if it is still there.

Do you also know if my Great Aunt would have been buried in Chatham or whether she would have gone back to the village where she lived? The only other family she had (I assume her husband was still at war, he is on her death cert as a soldier, but unit and rank unknown) was her brother and grandad who lived in Paddock Wood.

Any help gratefully received.

Julia

DWYER/O'DWYER (Tiperrary, Ireland/Tonbridge, Kent) SHILLING (kent), HIDER/HYDER (Sussex), TOMPSETT (Brenchley), GREEN (Paddock Wood/Capel/Hertford/Essex), AMOS (Surrey/Kent),GOLBY (Surrey/Sussex), LUCAS (Kent/Sussex), LYNE (Lewisham/Catford/Kent), PEACOCK (Sevenoaks/Edenbridge), BRAZIL/BRAZILL/BRAZEILL (Surrey/Kent/Sussex/Cornwall/Hants)

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
Re: 42 Magpie Hall Road, Chatham ..... Hospital?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 May 08 22:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Julia,

This my opinion only... if her next of kin was not available I think she would have been buried where she died . :-\
this information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   London Hall, Thurston Stanley, Phillips, Ayrton, White, Morrish, Smith.    West Ham/Barking Saint,Briggs,   Essex  Barker,   Hampshire  Kill, Kent Spong,   U.S.A Earp, Scotland/Cumbria Templeton, Devon Morrish, Chudley

Offline jeanharris

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 May 08 04:45 BST (UK) »
Hi.
All Saints hospital is no long there!Houses have been built on the site.
Not sure when it was pulled down,all I know it would have been after 1975 as my daughter was born there then.When I worked there c 1967 as a nurse,there was a new part where the main wards were and offices were in the part which use to be the Medway workhouse.
              Jean.
Illman-Sussex,Surrey and Kent. Marsh -Kent. Pack -Kent. Rolfe- Kent.  McClelland -Londonderry, Harris- Norfolk. Oakey, Okey- Ely Camb. Mott -Suffolk. Twin- Essex,Topley- Kent,Filmer- Kent,Harvey- Kent.Ward Kent.

Offline julia.julibob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 May 08 07:59 BST (UK) »
Hi.
All Saints hospital is no long there!Houses have been built on the site.
Not sure when it was pulled down,all I know it would have been after 1975 as my daughter was born there then.When I worked there c 1967 as a nurse,there was a new part where the main wards were and offices were in the part which use to be the Medway workhouse.
              Jean.

So, having worked there, and had you daughter there, was the address 42 Magpie Hall Lane? It is the confusion as to its name(s).

I cannot fathom why  Ada would have been there unless it was a military hospital. He address on her death cert was "Barnfield Cottages" Charing, West Ashford Reg Dist. I am waiting her her sister's death cert, as she too died of TB in the following quarter of 1944 in the Chatham District. She too was a soldiers wife, and lived in the Sevenoaks area.

Can anyone think of any other reason why they would have been there? As the workhouse/hospital has been demolished, what about the cemetery? Would it still be there? I can see a reasonable size on-site cemetery at the workhouse on the 1896 map of Chatham. There was also a church (All Saints) up the road.

I am finding this all very frustrating.

Julia
DWYER/O'DWYER (Tiperrary, Ireland/Tonbridge, Kent) SHILLING (kent), HIDER/HYDER (Sussex), TOMPSETT (Brenchley), GREEN (Paddock Wood/Capel/Hertford/Essex), AMOS (Surrey/Kent),GOLBY (Surrey/Sussex), LUCAS (Kent/Sussex), LYNE (Lewisham/Catford/Kent), PEACOCK (Sevenoaks/Edenbridge), BRAZIL/BRAZILL/BRAZEILL (Surrey/Kent/Sussex/Cornwall/Hants)

Offline jeanharris

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 May 08 08:09 BST (UK) »
Hi again Julia.
My hubby was born at All Saints hospital also my son.Yes it was in Magpie Hall Road and All Saints  church was just down the hill so I think the cemetery would be there.Never saw one when I work at the hospital.
The only military hospital I know was in the area at Gillingham but that was for the Navy.This is now the main hospital for the Medway Town.
Great pity I no longer live in the Medway towns I could have been more help.
           Regards Jean.
Illman-Sussex,Surrey and Kent. Marsh -Kent. Pack -Kent. Rolfe- Kent.  McClelland -Londonderry, Harris- Norfolk. Oakey, Okey- Ely Camb. Mott -Suffolk. Twin- Essex,Topley- Kent,Filmer- Kent,Harvey- Kent.Ward Kent.

Offline julia.julibob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 May 08 08:25 BST (UK) »
This is from the archives website, so you can see why I would be confused.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/03fp/

http://www.rootschat.com/links/03fq/

Julia

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 16 May 08 08:56 BST (UK) »
There ia also a history of the workhouse->hospital on

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/

Type Medway Workhouse and Poor Law Union into seach box and it should be the first result.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mogsmum

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 17 May 08 12:08 BST (UK) »
Just as a BTW, for anyone who perhaps isn't aware, Fort Pitt Grammar School for Girls now occupies the site of the former military hospital.

It has in its time, housed a fort, (from which it takes its name) and some parts of the ramparts are still visible.  As a military hospital it was twice visited by Queen Victoria and it was the first Army Medical School established by Florence Nightingale in 1860. It was also used as a hospital and recuperation facility for servicemen injured in the two World Wars.

Offline Siamese Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 17 May 08 22:05 BST (UK) »
Just as a BTW, for anyone who perhaps isn't aware, Fort Pitt Grammar School for Girls now occupies the site of the former military hospital.

It has in its time, housed a fort, (from which it takes its name) and some parts of the ramparts are still visible.  As a military hospital it was twice visited by Queen Victoria and it was the first Army Medical School established by Florence Nightingale in 1860. It was also used as a hospital and recuperation facility for servicemen injured in the two World Wars.

My old school, although in my day it was the Technical High School for Girls. Definately nothing to do with All Saints Hospital.

Carole
CHILD Glos/London, BONUS London, DIMSDALE London, HODD and TUTT Sussex,  BONNER and PATTEN Essex, BOWLER and HOLLIER Oxfordshire, HUGH Lincolnshire, LEEDOM all.