Author Topic: Military Tribute Book - Two Brothers  (Read 13407 times)

Offline Dean1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • 9 brig. Royal Fusiliers War Diary (large portion)
    • View Profile
Military Tribute Book - Two Brothers
« on: Friday 16 May 08 15:44 BST (UK) »
In 1989 whilst sorting out an elderly aunts possessions I found the above book.    She was housekeeper to the parents of the two brothers.   

The two brothers concerned were: Lt Ian Scott Thomson, The Royal Scots Fusiliers and Major Arthur John Thomson, The London Scottish.

The book was published by their parents privately as a memorial to them I believe and consists of letters and tributes which have been collected by their parents.   There are "in theatre" pictures and a lot of letters are from superior colleagues.

I have tried both regiments to see whether they want it and have had no reply in both cases.

It seems a shame that it should end up in a charity shop - I am happy to send to anyone who might be interested in it.

Sue
ANDERSON (Kings Lynn, Norfolk) BREWER (Somerset) BALDWIN (Catfield, Norfolk) CRONSHAW(Accrington, Lancs) DEAN (Accrington, Lancs) FOSTER, FORSTER (Astbury, Cheshire AND Canada AND U.S.A.) BRIGHT (London) ROWLAND (Essex and Hampshire) SEWARD (Petersfield, Hampshire) BAILEY/ BROWN (Biddulph, Staffordshire)

Offline Rockford

• RootsChat Senior
  • The Ancestral Home!
    • View Profile
Re: Military Tribute Book - Two Brothers
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 May 08 11:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue,

What about the local library of the town/area they came from?  If they have a local history section, they might be interested.

I've certainly been able to get some information on family members from WW1 through libraries, which I wouldn't have been able to access otherwise.

Best wishes

Rockford
BURNSIDE [Londonderry, Lothians and Pennsylvania]
THORBURN [Lanarkshire], VAIR [Melrose]
SWEENEY [Donegal/Lanarkshire]
GILCHRIST [Lanarkshire, Peebles, Lothians], SMITH [Dunbartonshire, Lanarkshire, Lothians]
GREGORY [Bucks, Wales], BENNETT [Somerset, Wales]
LETHERBY/HOWLETT/PHIPPS [Somerset]
HUNTER [New Monkland, Fife], GWYNNE [New Monkland, Stirling, Midlothian]
LOGIE/DUNLOP/THOMSON/YOUNG [West Lothian]

Offline bevbee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 May 08 12:19 BST (UK) »
I'd agree with Rockford - surely the library or local archives or museum would want it - unless you can find the family.

The men were from Wimbledon  - have you tried a letter in the local paper to trace the family - if it was my family I'd certainly want it.

B.

Ambrose; Llandilofawr, Pennsylvania.
Grindley; Llandilofawr, Ohio, Louisiana, Washington DC.
Rees(e); Pennsylvania.
Lewis, Llandilofawr.

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 August 08 17:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue,

Did you ever find a home for your aunt's book?

As bevbee said, both men were from Wimbledon but they were both in Scottish Regiments so I wonder if they had a Scottish Connection somewhere along the line?

If you still have it, I would be delighted to give it a home and am quite happy to cover any postage costs.

Anne

Offline LH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 October 08 22:15 BST (UK) »
Hi

I was in a similar situation eight years ago, having been given an old tin of family letters/photos and not knowing what to do with them.  Like you I make contact with the relevant authority - and was disgusted to have my letter re-sealed with Sellotape and marked "Return to Sender".

HOWEVER, four years later, I noticed a query on a website re this very family.  Two years later, we'd become great friends and I'm glad to say I handed over the contents of the tin just in time, before a senior member of the family died.  That lady apparently got a lot of enjoyment from looking through her old family papers and photographs.

My advice is to hold onto the item in the hope that you eventually make contact with a member of the family. 

Cheers

Offline Dean1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 October 08 10:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that.   Sadly I have already given it to someone.   The consolation is  - the book was published privately by the family as a memorial to the two sons.   The copy I had was my Aunts and she, as the housekeeper, had only one copy, the family had the rest and so I suspect the only surviving daughter has her own copy and her parents copies.

I am so pleased your paperwork was returned to the original owners safely - an excellent rewarding result.

Best wishes, Sue
ANDERSON (Kings Lynn, Norfolk) BREWER (Somerset) BALDWIN (Catfield, Norfolk) CRONSHAW(Accrington, Lancs) DEAN (Accrington, Lancs) FOSTER, FORSTER (Astbury, Cheshire AND Canada AND U.S.A.) BRIGHT (London) ROWLAND (Essex and Hampshire) SEWARD (Petersfield, Hampshire) BAILEY/ BROWN (Biddulph, Staffordshire)

Offline IanandArthur

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 24 February 09 20:38 GMT (UK) »
Ian and Arthur Thomson were my maternal Grandmother's brothers! I have a copy of the book you are talking about. I have just been reading it and quite by chance decided to have a look on the net. I am amazed and excited thet they are being remembered in this way. Imagine what they would think!

Offline bevbee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 25 February 09 10:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Welcome to Rootschat.  :)

I'm happy to hear that there is a copy of the book still in the family.

Imagine what they would think!

They'd be amazed wouldn't they? To see us all on our computers researching their lives at a touch of a button?  :o
Ambrose; Llandilofawr, Pennsylvania.
Grindley; Llandilofawr, Ohio, Louisiana, Washington DC.
Rees(e); Pennsylvania.
Lewis, Llandilofawr.

Offline Dean1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 28 March 09 20:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I am the one who had the "Two Brothers" book which I found among my Aunt's possessions.   She was their parents housekeeper when they lived at 34 Parkside Wimbleton and later, when their mother was a widow, worked for her in a flat in Putney.    I never met the "two brothers" but I did meet their mother on several occasions and she used to send me Christmas presents!    I also met the brothers' sister, Fiona - would she be your mother by any chance or is she your grandmother?

How very sad that these two young men died but how wonderful that they are still remembered.

At the time of going through my Aunt's possessions I also found ?either a tribute to their father on his death or maybe his retirement from Lucas or Brown brothers.   It was about his work as an engineer and his Scottish origins.   I actually gave it to a family friend (engineer) within the last couple of years but if you do not have it I could certainly attempt to get it back.

Attached is a picture of the housekeeper!!!!   She was my Aunt - my mother's older sister!   Actually it isn't attached - I overestimated my computer abilities!   Sorry.

Best wishes, Sue Cassidy