Author Topic: Whereabouts of "Reedham Asylum For Fatherless Children", 19th C.  (Read 18414 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Re: Whereabouts of "Reedham Asylum For Fatherless Children", 19th C.
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 13 August 11 18:03 BST (UK) »
Jocie,
Glad to hear that this thread has been of help to you...
regards, keith

Offline reedham30

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 12 June 13 22:51 BST (UK) »
Keith
Have you managed to obtain any detailed information on RALEIGH & MARY KERSHAW from Reedham yet?
I have a copy of an original photo of Raleigh as obtained from Reedham Trust archives.

These archives are being placed on a separate server from that of the current ROSA website and are not yet available to non members of that server.

I was there from 1948-55 and have researched the 1871/1881 census for Reedham and can advise you that there were 261/297 children respectively living at Reedham on census day.

Best wishes
Reedham30

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 14 June 13 00:07 BST (UK) »
Hi, Reedham30, and welcome to Rootschat!
No, as a matter of fact I never did get hold of any detailed information about Raleigh and Mary KERSHAW, and of course I would be most interested in seeing a copy of a photograph of Raleigh.  All I know about him is that he went to America eventually, and that he might have been/have become blind - though this is just family rumour.
I think you have to post on here another couple of times, and then I can PM you (send you a personal message) so that we can exchange e-mail addresses...
very best wishes, keith (nearly 2 years since someone last posted on this thread...)

Offline Syndal

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 26 November 15 11:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello Keith,

I have just found this 1903 pictorial record of Reedham and it is quite unique in that it shows The Lodge, the school building, the chapel and the sanatorium.

I was a pupil there from 1949 to 1955. Lots of wonderful memories. Just a pity that that wonderful/historical building was demolished but alas a suitable purchaser could not be found.

There are pictures of the regrettable demolition on the ROSA website - www.reedham.org.uk

http://www.francisfrith.com/purley/purley-reedham-orphanage-1903_49455/buy/framed-photo-print

I'm purchasing one for my children and grandchildren as a nice historical record.
From my reading all the threads it seems that your original enquiry has been well attended to!

Best wishes.
Syndal

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 26 November 15 12:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Syndal,
And welcome to Rootschat!
Thanks so much for flagging that up on here.  And, yes, it's been a very productive thread for the more than ten years of its existence.
Very interesting to hear of your connection with the place, and that your memories were very good ones…
Keith

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 03 December 15 15:29 GMT (UK) »
Such a good photograph of the school buildings, that one is, Syndal…
…and now to add to my feelgood emotion I have been sent a wonderfully clear photo image of Raleigh Kershaw, by Reedham30, which says he left in 1881 - presumably this is a picture of him taken at that time - and he seems perfectly clear-sighted here.  So one question mark has been answered after all these years - Raleigh must have become blind later on in life (if family rumours are true), either through an accident of some kind or through a deterioration in his eyes.
What an enduring thread this has been, inspite of long lulls of several years from time to time.  Maybe we'll even reach the magic number of 10,000 viewings soon!
Keith