Author Topic: Burnt Series HELP  (Read 817 times)

Offline Chloe7b

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burnt Series HELP
« on: Friday 16 May 08 17:36 BST (UK) »
So, does this mean I would be able to trace my grandfather?  I went to Kew to search for his army records to be told his must have been in the burnt series and I could only find a medal card for the person I presumed was him.  I found a grave also but one bit didn't kind of tally.

His name was Charles Frederick Palmer and as a child I was led to believe he died in the war.  The only one I could find was a Charles Frederick Palmer, enlisting in Shepherds Bush, which I believe is the area where he lived but the residence of Harlow didn't tally as I am sure  they never lived in Harlow and always were in the London area.  On the cemetary listing there is no date of birth so I can't cross reference that way.  His army number was 35945  Royal Horse and Field Artillery.

Then I had a bright idea of tracing the pension my grandmother must have received as she was left with three very young children but all to no avail, I was told they must have been burnt too.

So, is there anyway I can find anything out about them?

Many thanks if you can help

Chloe

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Burnt Series HELP
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 May 08 17:47 BST (UK) »
Chloe
He may have joined up as Charles Palmer on his documents?? there are 9 Charles Palmers Killed in the war.
If you visited Kew and couldnt find his documents they may have been burnt P surnames arent online just yet.
Do you have any photos or medals? they will have his number on them(medals) As you say there is only one Charles Frederick and SDGW States Resident Harlow(which may be wrong of course) You could try emailing CWGC and see if they have the original paperwork that was submitted for him?

Ady :)
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline Chloe7b

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 May 08 17:56 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for that Ady, but who is CWGC?

I don't have any photo's of him although as a child I do remember seeing one of him with my father.  Alas, no medals though.

Chloe

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 May 08 18:01 BST (UK) »
Sorry Chloe
Its the Commonwealth War Graves Comission-They look after all British War Graves and Memorials.
Heres a Link :)
http://www.cwgc.org/

Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline Chloe7b

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 May 08 18:07 BST (UK) »
Thank you.  I have searched so many places for any records of him I get confused to where I have been.

Chloe