Author Topic: border crossings from manitoba to u.s.a.  (Read 1603 times)

Offline purlin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
border crossings from manitoba to u.s.a.
« on: Saturday 17 May 08 18:48 BST (UK) »
can any kind person look do an ancestry.com look up for me.  its for an amy lillian gibbons and children, on the border crossings from canada, probably manitoba to the u.s.   i note there is a possible on the crossing from manitoba to buffalo listings 1895-1956.
   Amy L Gibbons   date      Buffalo, USA

amy was born  1885 liverpool england.  she was widowed in 1933 with two children dorothy b. 1916 and gordon b. 1918 both born winnipeg canada.  both children could have travelled with her or separately.  thank you.   
Crosbie, Crosby, Black, Woods, Johnstone, Kelly, Howatt, McMillan, Wauchope Scott, Smith, Gibbons, Roberts, Hildred, Jones, Hughes. Curran, Palmer. Hughes, Jones, Wilcox, wilbraham, owen
Liverpool, Dumfriesshire, Kirkudbrightshire, Cheshire, Flintshire, llanrwst, trefriw, Lincolnshire, America, Canada, New Zealand.

Offline waiteohman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: border crossings from manitoba to u.s.a.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 May 08 01:22 BST (UK) »
Hello Purlin

I believe the crossing you are refering to is the Amy L. Gibbons

Border Crossings from Canada to US 1895-1956, Unknown, Card, G, images 1547-1548
Manifest Port of Buffalo, NY, Date 7/6/20
Next line has:  looks like a circled number, possibly 521, then this 23093  5/28/20 Vancouver  (no headings to know what the number stands for, nor date)
on card 2, it denotes on top Deposition before B.S.I       Visitors on Transits
under Medical Certificate beside Part of the Body Afflicted there is writing which I cannot make out. Could be Waived as this was used in an earlier card for someone else in the same section. Bottom left of this section includes Bon <Born?> 2/7/1884
Under Remarks and Endorsements looks like As P.P. <passport?> 257069 or 257009 valid to 9/6/36
Includes her signature and medical officers.
Second card on image 1548 includes details which are difficult to read. Birthplace is Exeter, England so looks like it isn't for your Amy.

Linda
Dorman, Waite, Moore, Clark/Clarke, Neil, Rennie/Rainey, Brown, Mclean, Day, Millar/Miller, Gunion/Gunzion, Thomson, Black, Milvain, McCubbin, Steadman, Kirby

Offline purlin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 May 08 09:04 BST (UK) »
hi linda,

many thanks for that information.  yes, i agree it is not my amy.  it just seemed a possible because of the second name beginning with l. 

i dont suppose there are any other candidates are there?

regards purlin
Crosbie, Crosby, Black, Woods, Johnstone, Kelly, Howatt, McMillan, Wauchope Scott, Smith, Gibbons, Roberts, Hildred, Jones, Hughes. Curran, Palmer. Hughes, Jones, Wilcox, wilbraham, owen
Liverpool, Dumfriesshire, Kirkudbrightshire, Cheshire, Flintshire, llanrwst, trefriw, Lincolnshire, America, Canada, New Zealand.

Offline waiteohman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 May 08 02:13 BST (UK) »
Most welcome Purlin and don't think so for other candidates.

Linda
Dorman, Waite, Moore, Clark/Clarke, Neil, Rennie/Rainey, Brown, Mclean, Day, Millar/Miller, Gunion/Gunzion, Thomson, Black, Milvain, McCubbin, Steadman, Kirby

Offline waiteohman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 May 08 02:24 BST (UK) »
Purlin

Did they possibly go back to England. There is a Gordon Gibbins born October 6, 1916 whom died Nov 1987 in Birmingham, Warwickshire
England & Wales Death Index 1984-2007, v.32, p.1421

Offline purlin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 23 May 08 10:00 BST (UK) »
thanks again linda,

i had considered the possibility of the family members returning to the uk. but hadn't found any records for any of them.  there is an entry in an aunts diary for a dorothy barclay living in rock ferry, birkenhead, england.  this may be our dorothy under her married name.  but again, i haven't so far been able to find a recorded marriage. 

yes, the gordon gibbons you note may be our man.  it is not uncommon to mis spell GIBBONS,  as GIBBINS.  its a pity there is no more information regarding parents or place of birth.

regards purlin

Offline Tazette

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 July 08 21:09 BST (UK) »

You did not mention Amy's husband's name- but I thought I'd post the following:

There are two Gibbons deaths recorded in Winnipeg in 1933;

Oliver Gibbons, died Apr 30, 1933 aged 86
&
Robert Thomas Gibbons, died July 23, 1933, aged  46

Offline purlin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 21 July 08 08:31 BST (UK) »
hi Tazette,

sorry, i should have put the husbands name, it was robert thomas gibbons who died 1933.

it may well be that amy and the two children stayed and died in canada but i have not been able to establish anything.  thats why i was spreading my net wider and considering that they may well have moved to america.

thanks for your interest Tazette
regards purlin