Author Topic: Scottish Soldier on Tinplate  (Read 2266 times)

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
Re: Scottish Soldier on Tinplate
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 22 May 08 01:25 BST (UK) »
Sorry Prue...I'm a bit lost..So the pic is reversed as I said then??
Bit too techy for this time of night  ;D ;D ;D

;D  Sorry Scrimnet    ;D

Yes, the picture IS reversed, but it was originally made that way - I just thought I'd explain why in case Vowgirl thought you were calling her scanning skills into question!  ;D ;D ;D

Vowgirl, if you do a nice big scan at 300 dpi/pixels per inch, and put it on the Photo Restoration board, you'll not only get your photo flipped round so his whatevers are on the correct sleeve, but you'll get the pic restored as well  :)

Cheers
Prue

Offline vowgirl

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 22 May 08 01:58 BST (UK) »
Lovely old pic...and we need the Jock Regts  Guru to help out here...I'll PM her...

One thing though...The image is reversed!

The musketry badge and good conduct chevron should be on his left arm!

Tintypes are a direct positive process, which is a bit of a misnomer because it's actually a negative - i.e. the image you are looking at is the plate that was inside the camera and onto which the photograph was made, therefore, like all other direct positive processes, it is laterally reversed!

Cheers
Prue
Thankyou for your help, I am so glad to have him dated I had looked up when tinplate was around looked around military uniforms and he had been put into the too hard basket for a couple of years regards Vowgirl

Offline scrimnet

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • No plan ever survives first contact...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 22 May 08 09:20 BST (UK) »
When the pic was developed, the chap doing it had him facing to our right...he should be facing to our left...Probably too expensive to be re done at the time...

As I stated at in my earlier post...the badges on his wrist/arm should be on his left arm, not his right (our left)... ;D ;D
Sorry Prue...I'm a bit lost..So the pic is reversed as I said then??
Bit too techy for this time of night  ;D ;D ;D

;D  Sorry Scrimnet    ;D

Yes, the picture IS reversed, but it was originally made that way - I just thought I'd explain why in case Vowgirl thought you were calling her scanning skills into question!  ;D ;D ;D

Vowgirl, if you do a nice big scan at 300 dpi/pixels per inch, and put it on the Photo Restoration board, you'll not only get your photo flipped round so his whatevers are on the correct sleeve, but you'll get the pic restored as well  :)

Cheers
Prue

Oh no Pru!!! See above post ;D ;D ;D ;D

I thought it was a techy problem at the photographers  to start with, not with vowgirl!!!

I thought I made it patent  :-\ :-\ :-[ :-[ :'(
One more charge and then be dumb,
            When the forts of Folly fall,
        May the victors when they come
            Find my body near the wall.

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 22 May 08 10:00 BST (UK) »