Author Topic: Lookup please? Hackney Dunns - Sons of Charles  (Read 2882 times)

Offline MatildaFlorence

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Lookup please? Hackney Dunns - Sons of Charles
« on: Thursday 22 May 08 04:06 BST (UK) »
Looking for info on the sons of Charles Dunn & Unknown.

6 sons were baptised at St John at Hackney. There may be others?

George baptised 01 Jan 1797
Henry baptised 25 Oct 1801
John James baptised 25 Oct 1801
Nicodemus baptised 29 Jul 1803
Charles baptised 28 Apr 1805
Joseph baptised 01 Nov 1807

Charles and Nicodemus (sometimes Nicholas) and perhaps Joseph were transported to Australia as convicts. We believe the others stayed in England. The mother of the boys is unknown, but perhaps was named Esther (Nicodemus and Charles both named daughters Esther).

Possible for any birth, marriage, death or census lookups please?

Offline Bryant

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Grandfather Bryant 1897
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup please? Hackney Dunns - Sons of Charles
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 May 08 08:51 BST (UK) »
Trial 1822
http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/browse.jsp?id=t18221023-54-defend600&div=t18221023-54#highlight
Charles aged 15, Nicodemus aged 14 and Joseph aged 13 were confined for a year for stealing (on the 23rd Oct 1822) four live tame geese....value 12 shillings
-------------

it appears that Joseph & Charles were definitely transported (unless they swapped names and got away with it "due to previous they thought it might be the end of one of them?".......as the ages differ from trial to trial?).........they would have been kept at Millbank prison to assess them and decide where to transport them to!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millbank_Prison

http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/browse.jsp?id=t18260406-273-defend1483&div=t18260406-273#highlight

Trial 6th April 1826.......Joseph (18) & Charles (17) were transported for 7 years
they were indicted for stealing, on the 20th of March 1826.... 6 yards of bed furniture, value 8s.... 2 shirts, value 24s.... 1 tablecloth, value 8s.... and 4 handkerchiefs, value 4s. , the goods of   Thomas William Charles Edwards..........(did any of those transported ever return, very few in my experience or perhaps we never hear of them that did?)
-------------

COLD BATH LANE, ST JOHN HACKNEY, MIDDX
HENRY DUNN   40   BRICK MAKER   YES
MARY        "      41                           YES
JOHN        "      17                           YES
ELIZA       "       12                           YES
HENRY      "       8                             YES
MARY        "       6                             YES
SAMUEL    "       10 MONTHS             YES
-------------
possible marriage........HENRY DUNN married MARY ANN WILLIAMS....11 FEB 1822...ST DUNSTANS, STEPNEY, MIDDX

If you haven't been to the Emigration Australia section on rootschat.......try it, they have knowledge and the research facilities to assist the cause

Bryant
Researching names BRYANT (Camberwell), PASTERFIELD (Essex and all), RAY (Holborn/Islington areas back to Brentford), POWELL (Glouc & beyond?)
Fletcher (Glouc into Warwickshie into Lancs?), BUCKLEY (Chatham area), Watson (Chatham area).

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MatildaFlorence

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 May 08 10:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much! I am looking forward to finding out as much as possible on the English branch. Charles was most certainly transported, I am an Australian descendant of his! So was Nicodemus, as 'Nicholas'.

Apparently Joseph was too but we are unsure which ship.

Charles was held on the hulk York for a time before transportation on the Midas (2).

Just thought I would add that I believe you are right, not many transportees returned to Britain - but life here after their sentence had expired was probably infinitely better than 'home' - special convict land grants, job opportunities etc made it an attractive option. At home poverty and no opportunity for advancement awaited many. Also many only ever received a 'conditional pardon' - that condition was never to return to Britain.

Some wive of convicts were allowed to apply to join their husbands too.

Offline MatildaFlorence

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 April 09 03:02 BST (UK) »
Anyone else with information on the Dunns or related?

Have had contact now with Nicodemus descendant and understand there are other researchers in England of the branches that stayed there....George? Henry? John?

Offline Diane1954

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 October 22 02:18 BST (UK) »
Hi - re sons of Charles Dunn
I am a descendent of Joseph Dunn who was transported to Van Dieman's Land on the "Woodford". After his sentence was complete (it was extended for his behaviour, for which he was severely punished) he moved to Sydney. He had a child with Elizabeth (?) in Hobart which he named Esther. In Sydney NSW he had four children with Ann Groves: Rebecca (died as an infant), George, James and Nichodemus.  I can confirm his mother's name was Esther Bedwin.  There are many, many descendants of these three brothers in Australia.
Happy to provide any additional information.
Diane M

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 October 22 02:29 BST (UK) »
Hello Diane and welcome to RootsChat.

MatildaFlorence hasn't been online here since September 2017, however hopefully she still has the same email address and will receive notification of your post. I'm sure she will be happy to hear from you.  :)

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 10 October 22 10:48 BST (UK) »
Hi
I know Florence hasn't been on line but since I found the stuff you might as well have it anyway.
Baptisms Hackney
George 1.1.1797 s of Charles and ESTHER
1841 census Jerusalem Gardens Hackney -George 45 lab yes ,Jane 37 yes,Jane 14,Ann 12 ,George 3
Married 12.11.1821 Sr Mathews wife Jane King (wit Henry and Esther Dunn)according to Poor law entry 8 Dec 1847 ,children -Thomas 24,Jane 22,Elizabeth 4 ,George 8 ,Esther 25 and Ann 17 .(Mention of a trip to W Indies and back)
Henry and John James 23.10.1801 again Charles and ESTHER
You seem to have plenty on Henry
And all the other children have Esther as their mother.
If you are right about the marriage then the couple didn't marry until 1809.
Looks like a baptism for Charles 13 Feb 1774 s of Peter/Pateman  and Elizabeth Dunn
Burial 21.11.1819 again at Hackney age 46 from Cold Bath Lane.

Ciderdrinker