Author Topic: Please help find baptism of Eliza Faulkner abt 1816  (Read 2380 times)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Please help find baptism of Eliza Faulkner abt 1816
« on: Friday 23 May 08 10:22 BST (UK) »
Hi

Try as I might I cannot find the baptism for this child.  I'll tell you what I know.

She married James Wicks in 1831 in Lingfield, Surrey

I have them both on the 1841 census in Lingfield, born in county

1851 census they have moved to Cuckfield, born in Lingfield.  I have them there in 1871 too, curiously Eliza has no place of birth written here. 

Her birthdate seems to fluctuate around 1816/17 although if she married in 1831 she was quite young so it may be a bit earlier. 

I have gathered by a process of elimination that her parents were William and Ann Faulkner of Lingfield.  This is supposition because her daughter Mary Ann Wicks is with her grandfather William and his two widowed sisters on the 1851 census.

From the records of children I have already found for William and Ann it could be anytime after 1813 the record of the last child I have for them. 

As far as I know William and Ann always lived in Lingfield, however I checked the Lingfield parish registers yesterday and I could not find Eliza at all. 

Can anyone help?

Kerry

Modified - I have just found them on the 1861 census as Weekes, again 1816 - Lingfield.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
Re: Please help find baptism of Eliza Faulkner abt 1816
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 May 08 16:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Kerry,
There's always that chance that she wasn't baptised or was baptised as an adult.  I've found people getting baptised on their wedding days (perhaps as an insurance  :))

Looking at the IGI,  there's a William & Hannah having kids in Lingfield from 1793-1798.  Then there's a gap & then there's children being born to a William & Ann from 1807.  It can't be a second marriage for your William as, according to the census he was born about 1784, so too young for the husband of Hannah.

From the Surrey burial Index there's a burial for an Ann FAULKENER 9/10/1824 age 42 which gives her a DOB of about 1782, compatable with William's age so this might be Eliza's mother.
1841 - HO107/1077/ bk 7/34/15  finds William in Lingfield age 55 with a Mary WEST  75  born Sry.

They do seem to be a Lingfield family through & through so it's odd that Eliza's baptism isn't recorded   :o

jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching BRABY/BRAVERY in SURREY and SUSSEX

PLEASE use the look-up requests page not a personal message.

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 May 08 16:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane

That reminds me I was planning to find out who Mary West was!

The funny thing is I haven't managed to find any daughters for William and Ann which seems a little odd, perhaps they were baptised somewhere other than Lingfield.

This Faulkner family are proving to be quite a challenge, there is a thread about them in the Common Room, because apart from William and Ann and William and Hannah there are also a plethera of James which don't add up to the ones that can be found on census returns  ::) ::)

Kerry

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 May 08 16:24 BST (UK) »
Kerry, I noticed a bunch of burials in Lingfield for young Faulkners...would you like me to pass that on to you?

jane

I'm just going to walk the dog so I'll be back a little later  ;)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 May 08 16:33 BST (UK) »
That would be lovely Jane and enjoy your walk.  :D

Kerry

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 23 May 08 18:03 BST (UK) »
Walk done & enjoyed  :D

I've extracted only those within the relevant time-frame;

Ann FAULKENOR  7/10/1798
James FAULKENOR  21/11/1813  inf
Lucy FAULKENOR  3/11/1816  15
Hannah FAULKNER  6/8/1840  24
John FAULKNER  18/12/1823  14
Sarah FAULKNER  15/5/1838  80
Benjamin FALKENER  28/5/1834  13
William FALKENER  13/5/1832  86 As your William was the s/o William & Sarah I think this is his father
I did have the thought that perhaps Eliza was William's natural born daughter but outside of his marriage to Ann but later took the name of Faulkener  :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

jane

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 23 May 08 18:42 BST (UK) »
Kerry, vis a vis Mary West.
It looks like she was the wife of Daniel West.  Mary Cooper married Daniel West 29/12/1785, Lingfield.  Daniel West was buried 1/3/1837 age 77 at Lingfield.  Can't find a connection to William Faulkner so perhaps the Wests were family friends & William took it upon himself to provide for the elderly widow  :-\

jane

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 23 May 08 21:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane

Thanks for the information re Mary West, I did a quick search earlier for a Mary Faulkner but couldn't find her.

William obviously liked the company of ladies, the 1851 and 1861 he had his two widowed sisters living with him.  He probably liked someone to look after, keep house and all those sort of things.  ::)

Interesting idea about Eliza and bearing in mind that there is a possibility of a bastard child born to him a couple of months after his marriage (warrant and bastardy bond found on West Sussex Poor Law Database) this could well be true!

Kerry

Kerry

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 23 May 08 21:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Kerry

It would also be worth considering a non-conformist baptism for Eliza. I have families who move  between C of E and chapel with no particular pattern.

Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge