Author Topic: slum housing late 19thC to 1920s, could be anywhere  (Read 1695 times)

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
Re: slum housing late 19thC to 1920s, could be anywhere
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 24 May 08 15:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks for putting the link up Silvery as my father and his family came from Glasgow it is interesting to see how/where they once lived. More so as there is a photograph there of 79 Richard Street pity that the photographer could not have taken one outside 104 Richard Street as that was my grandparents address in the early 1920's.

old rowley
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline cathaldus

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 25 May 08 21:44 BST (UK) »
Dear Wheeldon and Silvery,  No offence taken!  No offence intended!  Just wonderful the struggle that ordinary folk went through to make some kind of living.  A  hard life dominated by a bitter upper class,  determined to preserve their ill gotten privileges at the expense of the poor.  For myself I am eternaly grateful for having had a good education leading directly to a professional qualification.  My maternal grannie,  who died in Manchester in 1943,  could not read or write and smoked Gallaher's thick twist in a clay pipe,  but she was,  without question,  one of the wisest people I have ever known!!  I went over to Clogheen a year ago and what an emotional reunion that was!!  Anyway,  keep on truckin'
Bill

Offline wheeldon

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 26 May 08 15:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Bill, your Gran that smoked the pipe was she by any chance 6 feet tall and kept rabbits, if so we are related  ;)  ;D
Wheeldon  Derbyshire & Manchester
Willshaw Staffordshire & Manchester
Wilshaw Staffordshire & Manchester
Pugh Manchester, Haston, Hadwell, Shrewsbury, Shropshire
Patrick Coventry, Warwick, Foleshill
Kelly Dronmore County Down & Manchester
Stewart  Hilsborough County Down & Manchester
Moffatt/Moffitt County May &, Lancashire

Offline cathaldus

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 26 May 08 19:35 BST (UK) »
Dear Wheeldon,

Now how did you know that???  (Actually 4'10" and she ate rabbits!!)   

Bill