Author Topic: Has anyone used this website?  (Read 2024 times)

Offline bconlong

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Has anyone used this website?
« on: Friday 23 May 08 14:59 BST (UK) »
Has anyone used the site http://www.ancestor.co.za ?

They claim to upload requested images of death notices in "a couple of days" ... however it seems to be considerably longer than that. I'm still waiting after a month!

Has anyone else had any experience or success there?

Thanks

B

Offline Raphael

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone used this website?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 May 08 15:21 BST (UK) »
Hi! Beconglong
I agree , I was trying to help a friend , and thought this site would help, however I gave up and we have not heard any more from them. They boast the have 1 million records, which when you think about it is rather small compared to other search engines
The reply I received was :-
Welcome to Ancestor.co.za, one of the largest online sources of original South African genealogy information.
With over 1 million family tree records available, we hope your visit will be rewarding and that you will enjoy discovering more about your South African ancestors.
New orders for documents from the Cape Town archives cannot currently be fulfilled.
Please continue to use the search facility, but be aware that orders may take a long time.

Best wishes Beconglong, I hope you have some success eventually
Raphael
UK & Germany.

Delaunay, Hackney,McIntosh, Culloden, Manchester -Lancashire, Salford, Blackley, Crumpsall, Cheetham Hill M/cr.  Grappenhall-Warrington.   Gonter-Hackney Düsseldorf & Derendorf , NRWF Germany.

Offline benzon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 June 08 08:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Beconglong

Have you tried looking at the NAAIRS (National Automated Archival Information Retrieval System) at www.national.archives.gov.za

I found stacks of death notices for my lot in Natal.  Takes a bit of time working out how to get around the site but absolutely brilliant (well for me anyway)

Good luck
LAWRENCE - Gt Hormead, HUTCHIN - Albury, CARTER/CARTER CLAY - St Albans/Stanstead Abbotts, BURTON - Hoddesdon, WARD - Hunsdon, BEARD - Ware, LEE - Cripplegate/Glemsford

Offline malcolm_sa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 March 09 21:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi bconlong

I have just used the site, and really glad I did :)

I was quite impressed with the quality of images, and it only took about a week.

Maybe give it another try

Best of luck
mal

Offline Leanne68

• RootsChat Member
  • The next generation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 April 09 13:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Malcom,

Could you let us know what sort of document you ordered and whether you received a digtal image of a photocopied document or an image of the original document. 

I see you are in South Africa.  Was your order posted or emailed to you?

Having recently made use of the KAB copy service (directly from the Archives itself), which took a number of months , i'm interested in the "it only took about a week" line!  sounds very promising.

best wishes
Leanne
in the Netherlands
ENG - Bath, Blacker, Brockman, Brook, Bundock, Cains, Davenport+, Earle, Edmonds^,Fletcher, Hinds, Holehouse, Holliday+, Jackson*, Laver+, Leach*,Litt^, Oxenham, Pirie*, Radford, Robinson, Staples*, Starkey+, Tarr*, Toye, Warner*, Whiffen, White, Wooley, Wright
IRE - Barnes, Caples, Hurst, McNamara, Quirk, Ryan, Towell, Wilson
SCOT - Craig, Davidson, Hervie, Kerr, McCallum, McFarlane, Reid, Robinson, Thorburn, Wright

* 1820 to Cape of Good Hope
^ 1841-1853 to Vict, Aus
+ 1860's to QLD, Aus