Author Topic: Any Brilliant RCers in Ottawa?  (Read 3331 times)

Offline JDC

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Passed away 26th June 2022.
    • View Profile
Re: Any Brilliant RCers in Ottawa?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 27 May 08 02:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Nick,

Here is the mailing address (no email addy) to contact the local paper in Schreiber.

The Terrace Bay - Schreiber News (Weekly)
The Newspaper of Record for the Communities of Terrace Bay - Schreiber - Rossport and Area
303 Scotia Street
Schreiber, ON P0T 2S0
807-824-2021
Fax: 807-824-2162

Perhaps they may have marriage annoucement for parents in archives. If not you may want to try the Terrace Bay Public library at http://www.nwconx.net/terpl/ for the newspaper back issues since it does serve Schreiber as well. Librarians are usually pretty resourceful and helpful I find.

JDC
Carpenter - B'ham Warwick,
Cole - Devon
Coy - Germany
Langmaid - Cornwall & Hants
Rayment - Herts & Kent
Holt - ? England

Offline nickgc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GGF J. James McLellan 1864-1908
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 28 May 08 05:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone for input.  I just returned from the library where i printed out the info that Polarbear transcribed from Ontario Marriages.

While there I also printed  her slightly older sister's (Catherine Greer Scott) death listing from 1924.  Oddly enough, I haven't been able to find Catherine's marriage to James Scott in either Nova Scotia or Ontario, altho I believe their youngest dau Agnes was b Ontario Nov 20 1888.  Nor could I find James' death record.

Not important since they aren't in my direct line, just odd.

Nick
McLellan - Inverness
Greer - Renfrewshire
Manson - Aberdeen & Orkney
Simpson - Hereford, Devon, etc.
Flett - Orkney
Chisholm - Scotland
Wishart - Orkney
Shand - Aberdeen
Pirie - Aberdeen

-----
Theology is never any help; it is searching in a dark cellar at midnight for a black cat that isn't there.   -Robert Heinlein

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 29 May 08 22:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Nick,

I know you are not really after this family but thought I would just send a wee note about the death of James Scott. It is possible that he died later than 1935 in which case the records are not yet public. Ancestry has the records indexed to 1934. When I was at my local Family History Center yesterday I had a look at the 1935 index which is now public in Ontario; he was not there. He was still alive when his son Henry West Scott joined the CEF in WW1 as he is down as next of kin.

Glad you were able to get a copy of the McLellan - Greer marriage record.

Regards,
Polarbear

We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada