Author Topic: Looking for Maria Brown (born 1850s?)  (Read 8233 times)

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Maria Brown (born 1850s?)
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 29 May 08 17:09 BST (UK) »
Another reference to this family:

Reynolds's Newspaper (London, England), Sunday, July 22, 1894; Issue 2293.

Gives some idea of her age, as it says Mr Page's eldest daughter was 37 and a little younger than Maria.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Aulus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The black sheep: Florence Stevenson née Hampson
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 29 May 08 17:59 BST (UK) »
Brilliant find jorose!

How interesting to see the link between Mr Page and her previous husband (my Frederick William Guest) as well.

And to think, we complain about drug- and alcohol-related anti-social behaviour these days!

You really feel the bare bones are being fleshed out here. 

Was she a suffering a mental illness, or is it just the effect of demon drink?  Is it the fact that she saw off so many husbands that drove her to drink?  What did all her husbands see in her?  We'll never know, of course.

I love the little bit of unnecessary detail that he had provided her with a piano and an organ.

Actually, James is getting a bit past it obviously, as he's forgotten that his eldest daughter was more like 36.  There was one daughter, Ada, born c. 1857 who would have been 37 in 1894, so maybe he's just counting ones left at home with him and not yet married off.
Lancashire: Stevenson, Wild, Holden, Jepson
Worcs/Staffs: Steventon, Smith
East London & Suffolk: Guest, Scrutton
East London: Palfreman (prev Tyneside), Bissell, Collis, Dearlove, Ettridge
Herts: Camac, Collis, Mason, Dorrington, Siggens
Marylebone & Sussex: Cole
London & Huntingdonshire: Freeman
Bowland: Marsden, Noble
Shropshire: Guest

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline joan_flis

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 11 April 16 07:27 BST (UK) »
I have read your post and made a connection to the Brown family I am researching. This info may help you to eliminate a Stephen William Brown or not! The Stephen I am following was born in Kent abt. 1809. His baptism is in Familysearch.org for 1810 at Chatham, Kent, parents Stephen & Elizabeth. Stephen's son James William aka William married Alice Rosina Bucquet on 05/03/1878 at St. Mary, Lambeth, Surrey. Both James W. & Stephen W. are stonemasons. Stephen is listed as deceased in 1878. His death was registered in the Sept. Quarter 1867 at Kingston, Surrey age 58. Stephen married Amelia Elizabeth Vickery in 1838. Their children are: Jane 1841, Esther 1845, Martha 1848, James William 1850, Sophia 1854, Arthur 1861 & Clara 1864. In 1861 there is a William Brown 48 Sergeant Major in the militia residing at St. Andrew, Northumberland, wife Amelia 38, daughters Matilda 7 & Eliza  9 months. William was born in Downham, Norfolk, Amelia was born in Ipswich, Suffolk, Matilda was born Milton, Kent & Eliza was born in Newcastle upon Tyne. I hope this helps.Regards, Joan