Author Topic: Jonathan KEEPING - can he be found in Surrey?  (Read 776 times)

Offline Stovepipe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Daddy Stovepipe
    • View Profile
Jonathan KEEPING - can he be found in Surrey?
« on: Saturday 24 May 08 19:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Surrey RootsChatters,

I wonder if you can help me find Jonathan KEEPING (aka KIPPING, KIPPEN and other variants sometimes with an "S" on the end).  I have several references to him in Sussex, viz. his burial, the baptisms of three of his children, and his being a witness at a couple of marriages.  But I have had no luck finding his own baptism and marriage (to Jane, surname unknown) in that county.

Every reference to him that I've seen has his given name "Jonathan" never "John".

The SMI shows most occurrences of the surname KEEPING in parishes near to Surrey, so I'm extending my search north of the border.  (Though I have to admit his Sussex appearances are all near the coast, and his wife was born near Arundel.)

Can anyone help me with his name in any of the Surrey indices they have access to?  Perhaps the Surrey Super Index - or are his dates too late for that?

He died early in 1837, and from his age in the burial record he was born around 1777.  His eldest child was baptised (in Sussex) in 1818, but there may be earlier children I don't know about.

Thanks in advance,
Stovepipe
Census information is Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk