Author Topic: Donald ROSS & Kennethina DINGWALL  (Read 5697 times)

Bevty

Donald ROSS & Kennethina DINGWALL
« on: Sunday 25 May 08 06:34 BST (UK) »
Donald is a bro of my gr.grandfather Hugh ROSS & his wife Margaret (Peggy) FRASER b. Lairg cemetery.  Donald m Kennethina DINGWALL and I have traced their children Hugh b 1872 Mary b 1876 and Charles b 1878 presumably in Lairg.   Are there any descendants of this family?

Offline rockydog

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Donald ROSS & Kennethina DINGWALL
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 July 08 14:12 BST (UK) »
Hello Bevty
I have Donald and Kennethina in my family tree.  I have got Donald b 1832 and d 1905 who married Kennethina as being the son of Hugh ROSS and Margaret FRASER. I don't have any children for them yet. I do have 10 children for Hugh and Margaret.
Regards
Carol

Donald is a bro of my gr.grandfather Hugh ROSS & his wife Margaret (Peggy) FRASER b. Lairg cemetery. Donald m Kennethina DINGWALL and I have traced their children Hugh b 1872 Mary b 1876 and Charles b 1878 presumably in Lairg. Are there any descendants of this family?
*Whyte - Durness and Eddrachillis, *MacKenzie - Scourie, *McKay/Mackay - Durness, * MacLeod - Eddrachillis, *Campbell - Durness, *Morrison - Eddrachillis, *Fraser - Golspie. *Dingwall - Clyne & Durness.

Bevty

« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 July 08 01:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol
Good to make contact with someone from our elusive ROSS family.
I found Donald 1832-1905 is buried in Lairg with his parents Hugh and Margaret but  no mention of Kennethina being there.
I now have note of six of their children:
Hugh b.1973  m  Edith McKAY
Charles b 1878
Robert b 1881
Neilina  b 1884
Jessie  b 1889.

I only have 9 children for Hugh and Margaret - Donald, Jessie, George, Charles, John,  Hugh,  Andrew,  Barbara and William.
I would be very interested to hear of the 10th one.

Regards   Bev.

Offline rockydog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 July 08 12:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Bev
Regarding Hugh and Margaret - I also have a son Adam born 1845 in Lairg, as per 1851 Census, but couldn't find him on further Census.  In 1861 Census there is Andrew born 1847, so they may be one and the same.  Sorry for the confusion.
Regards
Carol
*Whyte - Durness and Eddrachillis, *MacKenzie - Scourie, *McKay/Mackay - Durness, * MacLeod - Eddrachillis, *Campbell - Durness, *Morrison - Eddrachillis, *Fraser - Golspie. *Dingwall - Clyne & Durness.

Offline rockydog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 July 08 12:40 BST (UK) »
Hi again Bev
I have done further searching on this family and found another son - Andrew Geo born 1886.  All the children were born in Lairg.  Here is the 1891 Census.

Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details

RootsChat must deal with any breach of copyright by its members.

Hope it helps. I am related through the Dingwall side.
Regards
Carol

Hi Carol
Good to make contact with someone from our elusive ROSS family.
I found Donald 1832-1905 is buried in Lairg with his parents Hugh and Margaret but no mention of Kennethina being there.
I now have note of six of their children:
Hugh b.1973 m Edith McKAY
Charles b 1878
Robert b 1881
Neilina b 1884
Jessie b 1889.

Regards Bev.

Bevty

« Reply #5 on: Sunday 06 July 08 20:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for the info on the family I didn't know of.  Good luck with your research.  Bev.

Offline rockydog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 07 July 08 01:13 BST (UK) »
My pleasure Bev, if you think I may be able to help you further please let me know.  Might be able to send you information on the families.
Regards
Carol

Offline starsista

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 04 October 08 03:54 BST (UK) »
Bev

I have just popped in here for first time in ages and found your message.

I have Donald as son of Hugh and Margaret [Peggy] ROSS.  Donald was born 1832 and married Kennethina DINGWALL in 1872.

Donald is a brother of Hugh ROSS who emigrated to Aotearoa/New Zealand in 1864.

What is your connection to this family?

Jeni Simpson, Aotearoa/New Zealand
Simpson, Stout, Strachan, Kidd, Lilly, Champion, Grigson, Bruce, Menzies, Polson, Murray, Livingston, Ross, MacKay, Dingwall, Armstrong, McDonald,

Offline wilros

• RootsChat Extra
  • imagine all the people sharing all the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 25 July 20 23:56 BST (UK) »
I have just popped in here for first time in ages and found your message.

I have Donald as son of Hugh and Margaret [Peggy] ROSS.  Donald was born 1832 and married Kennethina DINGWALL in 1872.

Donald is a brother of Hugh ROSS who emigrated to Aotearoa/New Zealand in 1864.

What is your connection to this family?

Jeni Simpson, Aotearoa/New Zealand

Hi Jeni,

I just found this message thread (thirteen years later). Here's how I'm related to Kennethina Dingwall:

John Ross (1775-1857) was my 3x GGF
> his sister Janet Ross (1778-1866) married Angus Macleod (1777-1848)
> their daughter Merran Macleod (1803-1882) married Niel Dingwall (1800-1883)
> their daughter Kennethina Dingwall (1845-1915) married Donald Ross (1832-1905)

John Ross and his sister Janet Ross were born and raised in pre-Clearance Borley, Durness Parish, Sutherlandshire, Scotland. John Ross and his brother Donald Ross (1771-1861) both emigrated with their wives and children from Sutherland, Scotland to Nova Scotia in 1815.

[wr]
Ross, Manson, Mackenzie, Mackay, McGregor, McColl, Chisholm, McLellan, Grant, Calder, Sinclair, Carpenter, Bowen, Carothers, Wilson, Renwick, Gillette, Warner, McBride, Struthers, McKee, Hogg, Dunbar, Anderson