Author Topic: Covenanters  (Read 6884 times)

Offline castlebob

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Covenanters
« on: Sunday 25 May 08 08:11 BST (UK) »
Hello All,
Do any lists/muster rolls exist of Covenanters who hailed from Dumfriesshire  & Rox regions?
Cheers
Bob
Armstrongs of   Bedfordshire, England & Canonbie ,Scotland

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Covenanters
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 May 08 22:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob  :)

I've come across various names,etc. in many of the local history books that I have and there are some listings in criminal records at the Nat Archives in Edinburgh but I don't know of any comprehensive list.

This site may have something:

http://www.covenanter.org.uk/

Regards

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline castlebob

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 May 08 22:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that lead, Gadget
I'll give it a look-see
Cheers
Bob

Offline harrywrag

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 May 08 13:54 BST (UK) »
hi castlebob,  i am just trying to remember i visit tinwald parish church graveyard and something rings a bell there is stone in churchyard to covananters im not hundred percent sure i am in glasgow and visit 3/4 times a year to tinwald  kind regards  harrywrag

Offline castlebob

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 May 08 14:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that, Harrywrag
I'll check it out.
Best wishes
Bob

Offline harrywrag

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 May 08 12:57 BST (UK) »
hi castlebob your welcom. if you go into yahoo and enter tinwald church dumfries press enter and the third one down on list overview of dumfries click on that then click on camera sign on right hand side you will get photo of memorial for covananters there is a sign post in the church yard pointing you to it, i may have more info in the house i am doing this from library also if you key in the words covananters tinwald in yahoo up comes a few entrys and names hope this helps, if you wanted photo of memorial i could take one next time iam down at tinwald but not sure when i will be going again  kind regards  harrywrag

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 May 08 13:00 BST (UK) »
The whole list of covenanters memorials is given on the link I put up earlier:

http://www.covenanter.org.uk/covenanters/

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline castlebob

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 27 May 08 13:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks Harry & Gadget,
I won't need a photo, Harry, but very kind of you to offer.  I'll start working through all the links you've all supplied asap.
All your help was much appreciated,
Bob

Offline longshanks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 20 October 08 22:41 BST (UK) »
The ultimate guide to this is Robert Wodrow's "The History of the Sufferings of the Church of Scotland from the Restoration to the Revolution" published about 1829 or earlier. This works through the events almost week by week throughout Scotland recording the details of everyone fined, or arrested, or transported or slain.  I have gone through the Dumfriesshire material in part, though most of my research using this was for Renfrewshire and Lanarkshire. It is obtainable in National Library of Scotland, Mitchell Library Glasgow, and British Library in London, but obviously not an easy source to get hold of.

Secondly you can get names from the Scottish Records Office calendars the Register of the Privy Council, which gives the names of fugitives and their fate if captured.  Most big libraries in Scotland have a set. The situation in Dumfriesshire was particularly bad, with many of the proscribed surnames fleeing the country for fear of being arrested merely by similarity of name, and by 1688/9 you find whole communities with only women and children, no males of certain surnames.  Welsh is a particular example, numbering not only one of the largest numbers of martyrs for a single name, but the virtual disappearance of males of that name from Dumfriesshire by the late 1680s.

Lastly there are the two books by John Thompson - A Cloud of Witnesses published 1871 and The Martyr Graves of Scotland 1875, which attempt to record all this information nationally.
Beattie,Edwards,Hope,Jarman,McLuckie, Meason, Murray, Summers, Welsh, Wilde, Wemyss, Wright