Author Topic: 1901 and parish records Wellingborough SHERRATT  (Read 5543 times)

Offline whogan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Levi & Elizabeth Sherratt
    • View Profile
Re: 1901 and parish records Wellingborough SHERRATT
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 05 April 09 12:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Cindy

You may already have this link

http://nt.net/whogan/tree/sherratt.htm

It says you may contact with queries.

Might help.

Sandy
This site is now located at http://sherrattfamily.com
Sherratt - Brown Edge, Burslem, Talke Pitts and areas nearby

Mansell - Shropshire, Bangalore, India, Darlston, Norton Canes - Alberta Canada

Gibb - Surrey, Wandswoth

Mack - Vermont, USA, Ontario, Canada

Offline I forget

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 06 April 09 20:54 BST (UK) »
thanks for that, I think I have already contacted that site and there was no connection (at least back to 1880's), but maybe it may be of use to other Sherratt researchers. 

Cindy
LANCASHIRE: Briscoe, Taylor, Hamilton, Cutts, Mousdell, Dixon, Fairclough, Dingle, Pennington, Ingham, Martin, Pinnington, Haselden, Molyneux
CHESHIRE/DENBEIGHSHIRE: Briscoe, Gibson, Tudor

SCOTLAND: Hunt, Murray, Docherty, Malley, Cameron, Colman, Middleton, Mason, Drummond, Gourdale, Fraser

East Anglia/East Midlands/Traveller: Harris, Gray, Thorpe, Sherratt, Sly, (Twigdon, Fendick, Clarke) Jackson, Rowe

Offline I forget

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 14 April 09 08:29 BST (UK) »
Hi again!

I've been in contact with a cousin, who has done alot of work on the Sherratt line and she has them now back to Simeon Sherratt who married Ann - early 1800's.  She has contacted me this morning to say that indeed there is Simeon's family on the Sherratt site, but without the info about John, (due to him having gone off to become a traveller I assume), which she said she hadn't spotted there previously. 

She has now e-mailed re: Simeon, so you'll be hearing from her shortly. 

Thanks again Whogan    :)

Cindy 
LANCASHIRE: Briscoe, Taylor, Hamilton, Cutts, Mousdell, Dixon, Fairclough, Dingle, Pennington, Ingham, Martin, Pinnington, Haselden, Molyneux

SCOTLAND: Hunt, Murray, Docherty, Malley, Cameron, Colman, Middleton, Mason, Drummond, Gourdale, Fraser

East Anglia/East Midlands/Traveller: Harris, Gray, Thorpe, Sherratt, Sly, (Twigdon, Fendick, Clarke) Jackson, Rowe

Offline Katherine Harris

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 06 August 19 19:48 BST (UK) »
Hello I was wondering if anyone had any family connected to the Harris family my mommys maiden name is Harris and she grew up on a caravan site and only knows bits and bobs about her background so I was wondering if anyone knew if Harris was a traveller last name as I have suspicions that my mommy is a traveller as she doesn't like to talk about her past and the caravan site she grew up in as had to leave there so if anyone knows any information about my family it would be helpful to get my mother to open up

Offline I forget

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 06 August 19 21:30 BST (UK) »
Hello Katherine
Not sure how you get her to open up, except to show interest and sensitivity about her memories.
She may have reasons for not talking and you may just have to accept it.
I would only suggest maybe getting photos out and having a chat.

Or asking if someone else in the family is interested in talking.

In the meantime you can just use what you have and do research like any family historian assuming nothing and looking for the evidence.

I found that as I did my own research that my dad who stated he was not interested, became interested as I found out stuff and would occasionally show him and ask about photos etc. But I never got a lot from him, but what I did I really appreciate.

Back to your question about the name Harris, yes it is a traveller name, but it is also a very common non traveller name too.

I’m not sure why you have picked my post but if you have reason to believe she is related to Harris families travelling in East Anglia then go to reply 7 in this thread where there is a link to a much more involved thread that includes Harris.

But I would suggest starting a new thread on the traveller board (which that link will take you to). Put what information you are certain of and I’m sure one of the experienced researchers will point you in the right direction.

There is even a book about the Harris families, but it doesn’t have much about my line.

Honestly I have found it easier to learn about researching family history by starting on my non traveller lines first as they are generally easier to find .

Good luck

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 06 August 19 22:55 BST (UK) »
Hello I was wondering if anyone had any family connected to the Harris family my mommys maiden name is Harris and she grew up on a caravan site and only knows bits and bobs about her background so I was wondering if anyone knew if Harris was a traveller last name as I have suspicions that my mommy is a traveller as she doesn't like to talk about her past and the caravan site she grew up in as had to leave there so if anyone knows any information about my family it would be helpful to get my mother to open up

Hello Katherine and welcome to Rootschat.

You need to research in the same way that any of us do,start with your mother's birth cert (or grandparents info if you know it) and work back from there.

If your parents married then getting hold of their marriage cert may help.
Do you have your own birth cert,if not you may find yourself on https://www.freebmd.org.uk/ and you can get any certs for £11 from the official GRO site.

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk