Author Topic: Paul Henry HOOD  (Read 2893 times)

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Paul Henry HOOD
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 04 December 16 21:50 GMT (UK) »
Steven, Your info is becoming quite very interesting. Paul had an older half brother called John Hood born 1841, his parents being Samuel and Elizabeth who  were divorced in 1858. This John trained as a professional artist in Paris and was later commissioned by a painting house in Adelaide SA. He then became a pioneer leader in early photographer in South Australia, then moving to NSW. In turn his son Samuel John Hood was a photographer in early Australia and the NSW library hold in excess of 20,000 pictures of his works. I have Paul's marriage cert,1911 census that show his writing style and would love to see how this compares with what you have, plus the photograph of him. Now that you have posted 3 times please send me a personnel message with your e-mail address so we can exchange further info more easily with attachments etc.

John

Offline ChrisBR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 04 August 23 12:15 BST (UK) »
Hi John (and Steven),  I was very interested to see your exchange about Paul Henry Hood.  My own research interest is principally in the architect Philip Webb (1831-1915) and various associates of his in the William Morris and related circles (including the later "Pre-Raphaelites").  I have just purchased a copy of the biography of Philip Webb written by W.R. Lethaby (published by Oxford University Press in 1935) and find that it has a P.H. Hood bookplate in the front - it has a roundel image of a naked lady surrounded by a number of further naked ladies, you may be familiar with it?  Intriguingly the book is not in its original OUP binding but has been put into a special buckram binding with some nice gold tooling on it (the binding was done by W.H. Smith).  Given the information exchanged between you above, I think it highly likely that the P.H. Hood of my book was one and the same as you are discussing, even if he would have been 85 by the time of the book's publishing.  If you would be willing to share further information about him and his life/connections I would be most interested.  I am wondering if he would have been a contact/friend of Sir Sydney Cockerell and/or Sir Emery Walker, both of whom were close friends of Philip Webb and involved in the publication of the 1935 book.  I think that I can read "Emery Walker" in tiny writing at the bottom of the Book Plate which may indicate some connection.  Best wishes, Chris

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 12 August 23 17:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris, sorry not to have responded earlier but I did not get a notification of your e-mail. Are you still wanting info re Paul Henry Hood. Paul died aged 94 in 1944 Saffron Walden, Essex.

John

Offline ChrisBR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 12 August 23 18:18 BST (UK) »
Hi John, Yes am certainly interested- thanks for replying.  As you’ll see from my previous post my interest has a particular angle linked to Philip Webb and people who were interested in him! Best wishes, Chris

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 13 August 23 10:48 BST (UK) »
Chris, if you do 1 more post about anything we will be able to communicate via the pm (personnal message) system on rootschat. I will be able to send you my e-mail address and can then send you attachments, pictures of Paul etc.

John

Offline ChrisBR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 14 August 23 18:27 BST (UK) »
Hopefully this response constitutes my third post for that purpose Paul!

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 14 August 23 19:25 BST (UK) »
have sent you a pm, see if you received it.

John