Author Topic: TAGGART/HANNA/  (Read 69244 times)

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: TAGGART/HANNA/
« Reply #45 on: Thursday 16 February 06 14:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Val,

I am off on one of my tangents. Andrew Taggart is the brick wall. It seems he just appeared. No parents and no siblings for his father. Andrew's unfortunate children have no grandparents :'(

I decided to see if the Northern Ireland Library Service had any interesting books.  http://www.ni-libraries.net I have found an author, Maurice Taggart, who appears to be a Co. Antrim man. He has written so many books about the county it appears he has a great interest in that part of Ireland. I have not been to the local library or the library Headquarters for this area which is also in the town here to see if I can find a book by Maurice. I would like to see if the cover of one of the books contains more information. I would not be surprised if the info on the cover mentions he is from East Antrim. Could he be a descendent of a sibling of Andrew's father? Like your own family who all stayed reasonably close to the Donegore area then some of the descendents of the close ancestors you have not yet found probably did the same thing.

Here's a site containing Irish artist Elizabeth Taggart, born in Donaghadee, about our age. I doubt she is related to you but thought you might be interested.  www.whytes.ie/4PrintCatalogue.asp?Auction=20030916

Alll the Best, Chris

Offline Taggart 009

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Thursday 16 February 06 16:21 GMT (UK) »
Good a.m Mr. Tangent Man , from a very very cold Alberta. In fact it is 38 degrees BELOW freezing today with the wind chill factor so I am staying at home all day beside me wee warm computer!
Chris, do you think that author Andrew Taggart is still alive. Would there be a way I could contact him I wonder. Val.
TAGGART/ HANNA  Donegore and Belfast Co. Antrim.
MAWHINNEY Co. Armagh and Whiteabbey.Co. Antrim
GALLOWAY, Co. Armagh.
DICKSON Co. Down.

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 16 February 06 16:25 GMT (UK) »
He He Val you daft brush,  :D

Either the heat is turned up too high or Andrew's name is stuck in your mind. The author's name is Maurice. Leave it with me. I will see if I can get some information about him. Sorry Val I am an eejeet. I thought Maurice was an author. He is a photographer. If he is still alive he is probably in his seventies. The dates on the photos range from 1953 - 1998.

All the Best Chris

Offline Taggart 009

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Thursday 16 February 06 16:34 GMT (UK) »
Ooopsy, yer right, It is the cold weather. Poor dog ran out to do his toiletries and I swear he moved faster than I have EVER seen him move.!
GALLOWAY, Co. Armagh.
DICKSON Co. Down.

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Thursday 16 February 06 16:44 GMT (UK) »
Ha Ha Val  :D

Chilly on the pads of his paws I'll bet. :D I have been moving fast since receiving your message asking about Maurice. Phoned Central Library, Royal Avenue and they pointed out Maurice was a photographer. Next phone call Ballymena Library where his pictures are either on display or in storage. Watch this space for further developments  8) A little more to help fill this space. Val, I gave you some useful addresses during our chat. Please post details of the outcome here - failure or success. I am sure, like myself, everyone is keeping their fingers crossed that you manage to knock down that brickwall, find Andrew and a lot more ancestors as well.

I am sure Rootschatters in the north of Ireland will be interested to know Maurice Taggart still exhibits his photographs. He had an exhibition in the Library on the Ormeau Road last month.

All the Best Chris

Offline Taggart 009

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 16 February 06 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Have taken your advice and written to Ed. Mc at the B.T.
am awaiting a reply. Do hope he remembers me.
No just about to do the library email. thanks dude. Val.
GALLOWAY, Co. Armagh.
DICKSON Co. Down.

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Thursday 16 February 06 20:24 GMT (UK) »
Have taken your advice and written to Ed. Mc at the B.T.
am awaiting a reply. Do hope he remembers me.
No just about to do the library email. thanks dude. Val.

Translation for those who are thoroughly msytified by Val's shorthand - Ed. Mc at the B.T. Eddie McIlwaine at the Belfast Telegraph. I have the feeling Eddie will remember her. There is something about Val. I think she is the type of person who once you meet her you will never forget her.

Val, I may not be around to post messages to you tomorrow :D
I could die laughing tonight. I found a Taggart convict sent to New South Wales in 1829. John Taggart, ploughman from Co. Antrim, received a life sentence and went to NSW on the ship "James Pattison" http://www.pcug.org.au/~ppmay/cgi-bin/db/search.cgi?query=Taggart&stpos=0&stype=AND

Chris

New Link: http://members.pcug.org.au/~ppmay/

Offline Taggart 009

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Friday 17 February 06 03:15 GMT (UK) »
Would love that Taggart convict to be mine.  Can't someone grant me this wish  :-*
GALLOWAY, Co. Armagh.
DICKSON Co. Down.

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Friday 17 February 06 10:49 GMT (UK) »
Would love that Taggart convict to be mine.  Can't someone grant me this wish  :-*

Val,

I refuse to be a fairy godmother and wave my magic wand.
I might give the matter serious consideration if I may be an  archimage godfather.

I have been practising my archimage magic. I have just picked up a copy of Flat 2 the Mat, an Irish motor sport magazine, dated 12th August 2005. An article in it mentions Barry Taggart. Barry is Clerk of the Course for the Lurgan Park Rally organised by the North Armagh Motorcycle and Car Club. Whilst Barry may not be one of your relations I find it fascinating noting the wide range of leisure pursuits followed by people with the surname Taggart.

"I am not sure if this person is one of my relations" No problem there Val. Ask them to do a DNA Test http://www.familytreedna.com/surname_join.asp?code=D30146&special=True&projecttype=S

Here you go. Have a look for Taggarts in New South Wales. http://www.familysearch.org You do not need to worry about filling all the requested information. Just enter Taggart in the "last name", Australia as the "country" click "search" and as you read down the list you will notice several Taggarts in New South Wales.

I have made a slip over the name Vincent. Not a big slip though. I keep stressing to Rootschatters to keep an eye open for surname type Christian names. The name Vincent falls into this category. There were several families in Ireland with that surname at the time of Griffith's Valuation of Ireland 1848-64 http://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths.php Now are we looking for another surname to add to an already lengthy list or was Vincent named after a much respected friend of the family? I also cross checked the Taggart and Vincent surnames to see if I could make some sense of the baby who died at the age of four months being given this Christian name. Families with these surnames lived in the same Parishes during the period 1848-64 - Belfast City, Derry, Dublin and Tyrone. http://scripts.ireland.com/ancestor/surname/index.cfm If Vincent is named after a Hanna connection one more locality Co. Armagh is placed into the equation. You are already looking at this county with your Mawhinney/Galloway connection. Betcha hadn't considered finding Taggarts there too. :D

Abrakadabra and Good Wishes,

Chris