Author Topic: Looking for the Thomson Family after 1861  (Read 1261 times)

Offline fridayjan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for the Thomson Family after 1861
« on: Tuesday 27 May 08 17:25 BST (UK) »
Hi,  I wasn't sure which section to put this question in, so as well as the Emigrants section, I thought I'd add it here too!

I wonder if anyone would be able to help me trace another of my elusive Skelly family?  This time it's Janet - who married William Murray Thomson in Irvine, Scotland in 1838 and disappears (as far as I can see!) after the 1861 census.

At that time the family were living at No 1 St Vincent Park, Govan, Glasgow :

William M Thomson, born 1815, Dabry(?), Ayrshire -  an Iron Merchant (in 1851 a Commission Merchant)
Janet Thomson, b1815, Monkton, Ayrshire
Jessie S Thomson, b1843, Govan, Lanarkshire
John Thomson, b1845, Govan - Accountants Clerk
William M Thomson, b1846, Govan
Jane C Thomson, b1849, Govan
Adam S Thomson, b1850, Govan
Robert McG Thomson, b 1853, Govan
David Thomson, b1855, Govan

In 1861 Janet's sister, Margaret and her family were living next door at No. 2 St Vincents Park, but in 1862 they left Scotland aboard the "Helenslee" and emigrated to Queensland, Australia.  This is the link to all the fantastic information that Rootschatters (particularly Ruskie and Karenlee  ) have found for me http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,301639.0.html.

Although Robert and William appear to have been in partnership in a shipping company "McGavin and Thomson" I've been unable to find the Thomson's in Australia (or anywhere else for that matter  ) - mainly by searching Ancestry and the Australian BMD's.

There is a family connection with the island of St Vincent, in that my gt x 3 grandfather Adam Skelly was born there when his father Adam (Janet and Margaret's brother) was there as a Commission Merchant.  I have adverts from McGavin and Thomson for cargo for the barques "Janet Boyd" (named after Adam, Janet and Margaret's mother) and the "Margaret Skelly".  David Boyd, their uncle, appears to have had a business on the island and in his Will left most of his possessions etc. to his nieces and nephews.

Any help with this family would be very welcome.

Thanks,

Janet
Skelly (Liverpool/Ayrshire/St Vincent)
Jones (Liverpool/Ruthin)
Mortimer (Wigan/Harrogate)
Dean (Leeds)
Wilmshurst (Liverpool/Deal)
Sides (Oswestry/Liverpool)