Author Topic: Hopgoods of Reading  (Read 1759 times)

Offline Gypsy Lee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hopgoods of Reading
« on: Thursday 29 May 08 01:35 BST (UK) »
Is anyone searching  Hopgood's of Reading:

William Hopgood(1865)
Alice Hopgood(Fulbrook)1866
Dorothy Hopgood(1891)
Ellen Hopgood(1889)- married Samuel Elderfield
George Hopgood (1885)
Joseph Hopgood (1888)
Rose Hopgood(1897)
Kate Hopgood(1900)
Daisy Hopgood(grandmother) married James Henry(Harry)Styles, immigrated to Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Would love to hear from anyone researching this family

Gypsy Lee
Fisher, Bowman, Osborne - Norfolk
Hopgood, Fullbrook - Reading, Berk's
Styles- High Wycombe, Bucks, Ontario Canada
Lee - Stokenchurch - Gypsies
Arnott - Limehouse London, Ontario Canada
Hearne - Kent
Taylor - Ontario/ Saskatchewan Canada
 Banks - Toronto, Ontario Canada

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Hopgoods of Reading
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 May 08 09:17 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I have this family on my tree as very distant twigs.  I have done some research on them but nothing in great depth.  William was born in Wokefield although in the 1901 Index he says Grazeley, a couple of miles away.

My link is with Ellen who married Samuel Elderfield. The Elderfields were linked by marriage with the Wickens who were in turn linked with my paternal Sellwoods.

William Hopgood's parents were Robert and Ellen nee Barker.
Regards
Vicwinann
Sellwood Berkshire Oxon Lancs Wilts; Cassell Berkshire and Guildford; Leighs Guildford and London; Saunders Portsea, Greenwich and Deptford ; Austin Cookham; Osgood Berkshire; Dack Norfolk; Darling Berkshire and Mapledurham; Wilkins Englefield Berks; Havenhand Derbys; Whileman Derbys; Reedman Derbys, Notts, Australia, Africa; Rottenberry Deptford and Devon;

Offline Gypsy Lee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 May 08 13:49 BST (UK) »
Hello Vicwinann

Thank you so much for your reply.  This family is quite an elusive bunch.  I have a picture of Ellen and Sam.   Ellen committed suicide after Sam died - couldn't go on with out him.  They had two sons that I know of who could possibly still be living.   William Hopgood was living in Shinfield at the time of his marriage to Alice Fulbrook.  I didn't have William's mother's maiden name of Barker, so thanks for that.  Another lead to go on.

I also notice Vicwinann, you have Dack in your tree from Norfolk.  I have Dack in my Fisher tree from Norfolk - Mattishall, E.Dereham, Norwich area. 

Once again, thanks so much for your reponse.

Regards,
Gypsy Lee
Fisher, Bowman, Osborne - Norfolk
Hopgood, Fullbrook - Reading, Berk's
Styles- High Wycombe, Bucks, Ontario Canada
Lee - Stokenchurch - Gypsies
Arnott - Limehouse London, Ontario Canada
Hearne - Kent
Taylor - Ontario/ Saskatchewan Canada
 Banks - Toronto, Ontario Canada

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 31 May 08 00:33 BST (UK) »
Hello,

From FreeBMD I have 3 sons for Samuel Elderfield and Ellen Hopgood. Joseph, Leslie and Cyril although I don't have the certs. 
Ellen Barker came from Ufton Nervet, mistranscribed as often is, as Upton in the Mormon 1881.  The marriage ref is on FreeBMD as I think  is that of Thomas Ful(l)brook and Jane, Alice's parents. I think Jane was Jane Alloway but I have gone no further backwards than that.

I was hoping in the fulness of time to be able to connect these Hopgoods to some I have in Tilehurst but have not been able to do so yet.

Dacks of Norfolk.  Yes, I have 2 distinct and separate Dack families, my grandmother's and my son-in-law's.  Some of the latter came from Mattishall, East Dereham. My grandmother's were from Hevingham and Booten near Norwich. I have done a fair bit of research on both families.

This is getting really interesting.  I will send you a private message and give you my email address.
Regards
Vicwinann
Sellwood Berkshire Oxon Lancs Wilts; Cassell Berkshire and Guildford; Leighs Guildford and London; Saunders Portsea, Greenwich and Deptford ; Austin Cookham; Osgood Berkshire; Dack Norfolk; Darling Berkshire and Mapledurham; Wilkins Englefield Berks; Havenhand Derbys; Whileman Derbys; Reedman Derbys, Notts, Australia, Africa; Rottenberry Deptford and Devon;