Author Topic: BALHARY family - NZ to Chile!  (Read 3223 times)

Offline Lass

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
BALHARY family - NZ to Chile!
« on: Thursday 29 May 08 15:09 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone!

I've had a huge amount of extremely welcome help in my thread in the main Emgirants forum, which in turn has led me here.  I wonder if anyone might have any ideas where I might look next??

The family I'm tracking are as follows:

David BALHARY aged 32 arrived in Nelson with his wife Margaret 31, and their children Adam 8, David 6 and Jane 3, aboard the 'George Fyfe' on 12th December 1842.

Now we know some, if not all of the family, made it to Chile by 1849.  This search was started with David junior who stayed in Chile, married and raised his family.  David senior and Margaret had a child born in Chile in 1849 so at the very least Margaret made it there too! The family do appear on the Nelson Early Settlers database.

You can read the full saga here: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,303385.0.html

I'm stuck now as I'm not sure whether there will be emigration records for folks leaving NZ.  It looks likely (to my untrained eye) that they would have travelled New Zealand - Panama - Valparaiso/Concepcion.  Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas?  I've had so much help getting to this point (thank you AMBLY and JAP!!) but as always, I'm looking for more!

Lass x

Offline Thamesite2017

• I have turned off all email notifications
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: BALHARY family - NZ to Chile!
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 May 08 21:00 BST (UK) »

Offline Lass

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 May 08 21:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Althea

Thanks for that - the ship stopped off in Wellington and didn't continue on to Nelson until about 3 weeks later.  As the family are also registered as settlers in Nelson, I assume they completed the paperwork in both places.

Lass x

Offline Mk2_Zephyr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 May 08 22:49 BST (UK) »
Just trying to find when they went to Chile or are there remmants still in NZ ?

Offline Lass

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 29 May 08 23:52 BST (UK) »
Well that's a good question actually! 

We know that David junior arrived in Chile c 1850 and went specifically to work on the internal railway there, he then married and had family, the ancestors of whom are living in Chile today.  It is understood that he arrived there with his sister, presumably Jane, who later married and moved to France.

According to Scottish census, Benjamin Franklin Balharry,  son of David Balharry and wife Margaret, was born in Chile in 1849 ( but back in Scotland by 1861) so this would suggest that  at least Margaret was there to give birth. The assumption would then be that David senior was also there - however, the family in Chile have absolutely no knowledge of David senior being in the country.  Also there is a David Balhary to be found in New Zealand - Otago c 1865, Napier 1868 then death by suicide in 1889 again in Napier.  He was survived by his then wife Mary Louisa Balhary.  I have asked family members who are also researching the tree if they can shed any light on this particular David to ascertain whether it's our guy, or a different man altogether.  As far as I am aware, whilst we have family in Aus, there is no trace in NZ.

Hope this helps the mulling over of this particular brick wall!!

Fingers crossed

Lass x

Offline Thamesite2017

• I have turned off all email notifications
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 29 May 08 23:59 BST (UK) »
My thought was early school records to try and see how long and who stayed in the country
Have you tried this line of attack
http://www.nelsoncitycouncil.co.nz/library_home/resources_services/bloodlines/ancestors-attic.htm

Bye
Althea

Offline cmclayton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Christine M Clayton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 30 May 08 05:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Lass

I don't know if this helps, but looks like there could still be a "Balhary" in New Zealand 1903.

http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast?a=d&srpos=1&cl=search&d=TH19031006.2.11.1&e=-------en--1----0balhary-all

Thanks heaps Christine

BALDOCK.....TICKNER - Sussex & New Zealand.   CATE - Hampshire & New Zealand.   James Henry CLAYTON - Middlesex & New Zealand.   DASSLER / SCHMIDT / TISCH - Germany & New Zealand.   HESTER - London & New Zealand.   MILLS - Gloucestershire & New Zealand.   RYE - Kent & New Zealand.   Samuel THOMAS and daughter Katherine Elizabeth THOMAS - London

Offline Lass

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 30 May 08 09:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks Althea and Christine, the more links the merrier!

Having googled (yes AMBLY, if you're here, I know I should have tried that first ;)), I see that there is further evidence of Balharry's in New Zealand

Marriage of Bruce Balharry in 1906
Marriage of John Bruce Balharry (formerly of Napier) in 1938
Death of John Bruce Balharry in 1947
Death of Bruce Balharry in 1964
book containing reminisences and reference to Mrs Balharry as warden of Victoria House (boarding house) in 1943

Looks like I may have to revisit my notion of Balharrys in New Zealand  ::) ;D

Ok, so the question remains, did this family start with my David and his second wife Mary Louisa (if indeed she was his second wife).

If I applied to NZ for David's death certificate perhaps this would shed some more light........

Lass x

Offline brionne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 30 May 08 10:40 BST (UK) »
What an interesting story.
Not sure if this is relevant to you or not.

Find my Past Passenger Lists 1890-1960 has this entry.

MARY BALHARRY age 29 sailed from Southampton on the Athenic 12 Jan 1922.
         to Wellington NZ.
         Address on image is,..  27 E HIGHT St FORFAR.
         She was emigrating as a domestic. Third Class passenger.
Dyer,Wilts,Weare Somerset Dorset Wilts.
Weare/Robinson Ottawa Canada.Petty Wilts.
Simper Wilts.West Wilts.West Vermont.Kelsey Surrey.Chappell
Chapel Essex.McPherson,M Pherson MacPherson
Perthshire Scotland,Cork,Dublin,Drogheda Ireland.
Census information Crown Copy right from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk