Author Topic: How do you find All of the children of couple?  (Read 1556 times)

Offline Thalliwell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
How do you find All of the children of couple?
« on: Friday 30 May 08 01:52 BST (UK) »
What is the best way to find all children born to a couple?
The only way I know is to use census but that leaves a 10 year gap when children and be born and die.
Thank You

Halliwell, Latham, Davenport, McVeigh, McNally
Wigan, Crewe, Dungannon

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: How do you find All of the children of couple?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 May 08 06:17 BST (UK) »
If the name is common, it can be difficult and expensive! If the ages on the census indicate there may be missing children I use FreeBDM (or in this case CheshireBDM) to search for possible births and deaths and also MIs (if available). The new index being developed by(for?) GRO will supposedly have the mother's maiden name on all the birth records from 1837, which should make things a little easier, but they seem to have given up advising when it will be available.  :(

Trish

Edit: I notice some of the earlier entries on CheshireBDM contain the mother's maiden name - there may be information as to who/why
http://cheshirebmd.org.uk/

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 May 08 12:26 BST (UK) »
If any of the children are shown on the LDS site you may also be able to trace others if they were baptized in the same parish.
Find the baptism record for the known child in the IGI then click on the batch number. Enter the surname, country and county, then click search. This will show you the children with the same surname baptized in that parish and you can then click on each record to see the parents' names.

Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 May 08 12:43 BST (UK) »
Of course Roobarb!
And I auto thought of civil records  :(   (I think I am too used to Australia, where parent names are on most of the bdm indexes). If the family are not on the IGI, you can look for parish records elsewhere. With or without an index, you can search for baptisms.

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mshrmh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 May 08 13:59 BST (UK) »
The methods suggested will probably pick up most cases - I understand the 1911 Census will tell us how many children there have been from a marriage - that may alert us to some "missing".
In my own family neither of my grandfathers appear on the census with their parents. On their first census they are with other relatives and by their second they are away from home working - they would not be easy for someone unaware of their existence to find (especially as for one I still haven't found a baptism for him or several of his siblings).