Author Topic: Trying to find birth for Mary Allen or Alen  (Read 5786 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find birth for Mary Allen or Alen
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 02 July 08 08:48 BST (UK) »
Strange to go from mariner to a joiner.
Not really so unusual. My great-grandfather was a sea captain but when at home built furniture, boats and even a very, very large house. He came from a family of sea captains and boat-builders and learned to use all sorts of tools at a very early age.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline johngirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Dad and his cousins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 02 July 08 11:21 BST (UK) »
Yes aghadowey,
                        I suppose they took on anything just to earn a wage. Just like us today. My grandfather Herbert [Albert and Marys son]was a gardeners apprentice in 1891 then he became a sailor when he came to Tasmania in the early 1890`s.In the early 1900`s he became a lighthouse keeper.My father followed in his fathers footsteps and also became a lighthouse keeper. I lived in a lighthouse station for a while in my very younger days. Can`t remember none of it as I was only eighteen months old. Dad was drowned when I was this age and my mother then moved her family into the city.

Johngirl :) :)
JOHN- Pembrokeshire Wales.  FREEMAN -England?
MEDLICOT -Monmouthshire Wales.
ISAAC -Gloucestershire and Liverpool.[Toxteth Park] SNOW- England .Convict. FRAZER- England.Convict.
DEAL -Ireland .Convict.
KEMP -Saint Mary Cray Kent.Eynsford Wilmington England.Convict.
BLACKBERRY -Whitechapel .Convict. CONDON -alias
DUFFY-Brighton England. Convict.
BANTICK -Ixworth Sussex England. Convict.
JONES England????[George]Convict.
ROSE-England. Convict.
All came to Tas

Offline johngirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 09 July 08 01:32 BST (UK) »
Hi,
    I found three Henry Allen`s in the Griffiths valuations,not sure though if Henry would have owned any land. [If this is what the Griffiths valuation are about.] He was a farmer so maybe he did. But then again why if he was a farmer would two of his daughters go to England to live. You would think they would stay to help on the farm. Maybe Mary and her sister Margaret who lived with Mary in Toxteth Park had many brothers to do the work on the farm. I don`t know anything about the Griffiths valuations so could someone please tell me if I can find anything about my g grandmother Mary in them. I suppose thogh it is only about people who owned land etc. ??? ???Sorry to sound so vague.[dumb]. I haven`t been researching all that long. :) :)

Johngirl
ISAAC -Gloucestershire and Liverpool.[Toxteth Park] SNOW- England .Convict. FRAZER- England.Convict.
DEAL -Ireland .Convict.
ROSE-England. Convict.
All came to Tas

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 09 July 08 10:13 BST (UK) »
Did you see the actual page of Griffith's Valuation or an index? It is more than likely that Henry Allen was a tenant rather than the landowner and the original page would show who he leased his land from and other details like description of property, amount of land, annual rent.

Offline johngirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 10 July 08 00:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Aghadowey,

I only seen an index of the Griffith`s Valuation. I`m not a very good researcher as yet [as you can see] ??? and had no idea you could see more information about the Henry Allen`s I found from the indexes. Silly me. Now for the question of how do I find the details from the original pages of the Valuations. Sorry to be a nuisance but if I don`t ask I will never know.Thankyou also for letting me know about this information.

DEAL -Ireland .Convict.
ROSE-England. Convict.
All came to Tas

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 10 July 08 10:23 BST (UK) »
There is/was a website which showed scanned images of Griffith's but it hasn't been working lately- not sure wht the problem is:
www.failteromhat.com/griffiths.php

Should also mention that there may not be 3 Henry Allens although you found 3 entries in Griffith's- it could be that 1 Henry Allen had several small (or large) bits of property.

Offline johngirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 10 July 08 11:21 BST (UK) »
Thankyou aghadowey,

I have checked that website [thats were I found the indexes] but it is still not working for the moment. Will try again later. Thankyou for letting me know about the 3 Henry Allens. They probably are all the same person. Listed below is what I found so could you tell me how far away from each other are each townland. If you can understand my meaning sorry.

Henry Allen
Cloonboo
Annaghdown
Galway.

Henry Allen
Cloonoolia North
Clonrush
Galway.

Henry Allen
Mountshannon
Irishcaltra
Galway.

I`m only asuming that you live in Ireland and may know the wereabouts of these places. Sorry if you don`t and don`t know that is OK.

DEAL -Ireland .Convict.
ROSE-England. Convict.
All came to Tas

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 10 July 08 12:42 BST (UK) »
I live in Ireland but nowhere near Galway unfortunately. Someone that knows Galway better might know where the three places are located.
If you go to www.thecore.com/seanruad at look for each townland it will not only give you the civil parish (all different here) but also the Poor Law Union and Barony and that might indicate if they are in the same area.

Offline leckavrea

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 10 July 08 19:31 BST (UK) »
Cloonboo is about 12km north of Galway on the Headford Road.

About 90km away are Mountshannon and Clonrush on the Galway/Clare border and on the shores of Lough Derg, a few miles apart. You will find Mountshannon and Cloonboo on Google maps at http://maps.google.com.

If you want to precisely locate the townlands suggest you use the 6" OS maps on the Galway County Council web site - http://www.galway.ie/en/Services/Library/1842OSMaps/#place. You will probably need to download the SVG plugin and can only view the maps in IE.